Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is this forum dying? (Read 20117 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this forum dying?

Reply #25
but a Newbie forum, which would be excluded from Portal and Active Topics list, could probably improve this.

I can imagine most of the old-timers wouldn't waste their time visiting the newbie forum. So, it would and up becoming a place where newbies would be left alone until they noticed that nobody is answering their questions.  Then they would go and post at General.

I may not be an 'old-timer' but I certainly can, and would (and in fact do, when they come up), answer most n00bish questions.

edit:  to add to another topic on this thread:  AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I think I am suffering from "checktheforumtoooftenitis" more than anyone right now . . . . I can't help it I'm totally addicted . . . . . this forum is almost as bad as CS (something my friends from University have dubbed digital crack).
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Is this forum dying?

Reply #26
Grrr...I think we need to resurrect r3mix. Let the newbies see that 'truth', and the bright ones will move along to HA. Keep the noise level down where things are actually important. After all, newbies have to be cowed so they don't act like idiots in a real discussion, on a real board. All we need is someone really opinionated for them to admire. Well...seeing as JohnV's back, and obviously has more free time than he'd like at the moment (feel for ya guy), maybe we could nominate him? Ya know, a sacrificial lamb...

Then again, maybe I should be the first to sign up for this new board. 
The sky is blue.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #27
Maybe we are almost to the point where storage is cheap enough that lossy compression becomes moot. With my collection, we are not there yet.

But maybe we are just close enough that there is not much point in lossy codec development.

I still need it though. Too much music for lossless. The lack of breaking news and new development is somewhat depressing.

Lossy is still and will be important in the future, ok in your's HDD is loosing to lossless but in MobilePlayers or even to run a Hell of songs in my DVD i still use MP3, In my videos I use OGM and OGG for one CD (I always do 1 CD  ) and i don't think i will use Lossless or AC3 or Even DTS.

So to me Lossless is important to backup QUALITY
Lossy is important to achieve the best quality with the smallest size.

Regarding the HA i just need to thank all the members that help me out, and the Knowledge i'm gathering with the time i''m here, I never knew something as good as R3Mix, only after i knew HA (The best), SO i don't think HA is dying, like all things in life nothing could be in the sky forever, sometimes comes to the Earth too.

Thanks HA for existing.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #28
I am quite surprised that a newbie's forum that doesn't appear on the portal page is so quickly shot down.  I would of hoped for better than "most of the knowledgeable regulars will ignore it" - I am happy to devote a bit of time to helping new people learn the things I was taught a year ago and now take for granted.  From some of the helpful  & knowledgable replies newbies get here, I would of thought anyone who is serious about the community would do the same?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Is this forum dying?

Reply #29
but a Newbie forum, which would be excluded from Portal and Active Topics list, could probably improve this.

I can imagine most of the old-timers wouldn't waste their time visiting the newbie forum. So, it would and up becoming a place where newbies would be left alone until they noticed that nobody is answering their questions.  Then they would go and post at General.

Well, it should be the job of whoever moderates the newbie forum to answer their questions (or at least point them in the right direction) .
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #30
Eh, it's summer, what would you expect  People have some time off and only some do not have anything better to do than posting on the forums.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #31
Actually, a newbie forum with lots and lots of stickies (i.e. a copy of the most popular FAQ answers) might help.

Then, just maybe, once a month, someone could actually bother to read it and anwer some of the other questions! ;-)

Cheers,
David.

P.S. the problem is, some "newbie" questions are actually quite good. If there were any, these could be moved to "General" for every to answer. Maybe.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #32
I am quite surprised that a newbie's forum that doesn't appear on the portal page is so quickly shot down.  I would of hoped for better than "most of the knowledgeable regulars will ignore it" - I am happy to devote a bit of time to helping new people learn the things I was taught a year ago and now take for granted.  From some of the helpful  & knowledgable replies newbies get here, I would of thought anyone who is serious about the community would do the same?

I think this would be a good idea. How about this: every time a couple of users are asked to moderate the newbie forum for, say, a month - thereby devoting themselves to fill in any 0-replies-topics they can answer to. Then, this is rewarded with your username on the fora being shown in silver forever...

I'd do it...

Is this forum dying?

Reply #33
Then, this is rewarded with your username on the fora being shown in silver forever...

Or maybe just a title of:  n00b Herder, or something.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #34
i don't think it's dying but it's boring lately. nothing new, no development going on, although there are a lot of thing that could be done. :-(

maybe i will go to doom9 soon, because i don't know anything about video encoding and it seems to be interessting.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #35
i don't think it's dying but it's boring lately. nothing new, no development going on, although there are a lot of thing that could be done. :-(

maybe i will go to doom9 soon, because i don't know anything about video encoding and it seems to be interessting.

I think the MPC forum is waiting for the SV8 'big bang' - I know theres nothing of interest for me there until then, given the lack of information about SV8s progress.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #36

There has been plenty of MP4 AAC development going on . . . . not enough, though, eh?

Is this forum dying?

Reply #37

Yeah, video is hot. Infact I've been spending quite a lot of time myself at doom9, though also doom9 seems to be less interesting in summer.
I've been wondering that since audio alone is not probably going any "hotter" anymore, should HA extend somehow on the video side also..

Problem is that many people, including me don't see it reasonable to try to compete with doom9 directly although/because we have lots of common members, but I'd really like to see something specific video related featured at HA..
One far fetched idea of mine was that since HA is famous for the blind testings, we'd start rating different video codecs and settings. Rating video codecs visually is not demanding compared to hq audio codecs (need to have very good hearing), so it could attract quite many people.

One possibility would be like having a number of non-copyrighted VOBs offered through torrents, and people could test different video codecs and settings, and send the results (also the actual video stream) in as an attachment which could be served further via torrents.
I don't know, but I'd definitely like to expand HA's coverage towards video and if possible even so that it doesn't directly compete with doom9, rather more like co-operate.

Any thoughts?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Is this forum dying?

Reply #38
Any thoughts?

I like the idea. I think many of the audio enthusiasts here are interested in video compression (and editing possibly) as well. At least that's what I've gathered from IRC where the topic regularly comes up. I know I am. And I would like to see a video section on HA.

Thumbs up.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #39
Well, I always saw this forum as an audio-related discussion forum. That does of course include serveral sub-categories of audio(compression) such as hardware, apps etc. This would in my view also include audio discussion and compression concerning video, but only in an more or less strict audio-related way!
If I'm intersted in video, I'll defenitly go to the exelent doom9 forum.
Though, as I said, an realy audio-focused video discussion is welcome.
IMHO there should not be any tests of video quality made here, as this is an
a u d i o forum.
1. There already is an exelent forum for that (doom9)
2. The trieing of not compete with doom9 is doomed to failure, either do something right (meaning a full featured video forum) or don't do it.

So, in a nutshell, I definatly wouldn't like the idea of videoquality tests here at ha, though audio related video discussion is more than welcome (I'm a huge gk fan myself by the way  )

(edit: typos)
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Is this forum dying?

Reply #40
IMHO there should not be any tests of video quality made here, as this is an a u d i o forum.

IC, well what if the administrators of this forum become so interested in video that they want to offer something about that to public? 

I don't know why anybody wouldn't like an idea of video quality testings.. Nobody has implemented my above idea. What bothers me at doom9 is that people there just share their codec-settings and nobody actually provides any video stream examples, it reminds me of the lame/r3mix era when everybody had their own best Lame settings. Sometimes I wouldn't like to install the millionth xvid or divx alpha build, in order to test myself if there's really some advancement like some person claims...
Juha Laaksonheimo

Is this forum dying?

Reply #41
I don't think adding a video section would be of much use, since Doom9 and HA.org already share a lot of members (inlcuding myself) and a lot of the information would probably be redundant and/or fragment over the two forums.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #42
Klemm slowed down his posting here after I called him an ass.

lol
You gotta be kidding

i think that more or less we have all come to somekind og high knowledge and dont need to dicuss much, as we all agree, as we have all seen the same proof.
Sven Bent - Denmark

Is this forum dying?

Reply #43
What bothers me at doom9 is that people there just share their codec-settings and nobody actually provides any video stream examples

That may go for the forum itself, but somewhere around doom9.org there are some well made tests concerning image quality (two or three realy extensive test plus some minor ones).
This has been done concerning codec comparison and the different abilties of the codec themselfs.
I can't remember where the results actually are, but I'll search and post em here. So there has been (and prob. will be ITF) good quality test, though mainly through still images, not 'streaming'.

Is this forum dying?

Reply #44
That may go for the forum itself, but somewhere around doom9.org there are some well made tests concerning image quality (two or three realy extensive test plus some minor ones).
This has been done concerning codec comparison and the different abilties of the codec themselfs.
I can't remember where the results actually are, but I'll search and post em here. So there has been (and prob. will be ITF) good quality test, though mainly through still images, not 'streaming'.

Eh.. I have of course seen the codec comparison tests.
Problems are:
- no continuous testing with different settings. Tests tend to be old in few weeks
- no latest codec versions/settings
- still image tests (I'd pretty much compare this to spectral analysis on audio)
- opinions based on one man's subjective opinion
Juha Laaksonheimo

Is this forum dying?

Reply #45
Part I:
Eh.. I have of course seen the codec comparison tests

uhm... I very humbly apologize then...   

no latest codec versions/settings

AFAIK not true. only xvid is a little out of date...

opinions based on one man's subjective opinion

that's indeed a point if compared to ha blind test tradition...

still image tests (I'd pretty much compare this to spectral analysis on audio)

well, what's so wrong with that? a few well choosen images can well stand for the visual quality of a movie (altough that's not the best way, no doubt about that). and far more important: a whole part of the actual film is more difficult to share.

after all (sorry if I repeat myself) the discussion (if held) should stay on the audio-side of video in my view! (if done here at ha, see above reasons in earlier post)

(edit: some enhancements, add part II)

Part II:
it's not that I would dislike the idea of regular codec comparison and the resulting video quality, I would be very intersted in that!!
but I just don't think that hydrogenAUDIO is the right place for that... sorry, Idon't wanna sound like a dick, I'm just genue concerned...

Is this forum dying?

Reply #46

And what about :
- Divx Kaukura, Manihi, Kauehi.
- Xvid Official, latests: koepi,nic, umaniac, dev-api4.
- Nero Digital
- H264, Rududu, Warp etc. exotic codecs?

well, what's so wrong with that? a few well choosen images can well stand for the visual quality of a movie (altough that's not the best way, no doubt about that). and far more important: a whole part of the actual film is more difficult to share.
Imo there's very much wrong if you just take one position in a video and compare based on that. You aren't doing that in audio either, why in video? Though of course doom9 gives his subjective opinion about the whole stream, but that's just it, subjective, and very soon outdated.
but I just don't think that hydrogenAUDIO is the right place for that... sorry, Idon't wanna sound like a dick, I'm just genue concerned...
Concerned about what? That there's no reason anymore for threads like "Is this forum dying?"??
Juha Laaksonheimo

Is this forum dying?

Reply #47

And what about :
- Divx Kaukura, Manihi, Kauehi.
- Xvid Official, latests: koepi,nic, umaniac, dev-api4.
- Nero Digital
- H264, Rududu, Warp etc. exotic codecs?

Imo there's very much wrong if you just take one position in a video and compare based on that. You aren't doing that in audio either, why in video? Though of course doom9 gives his subjective opinion about the whole stream, but that's just it, subjective, and very soon outdated.
Concerned about what? That there's no reason anymore for threads like "Is this forum dying?"??

Sounds like the folks on doom9 could learn a bit from the way things are run here, but if a lot of our members already frequent domm9, couldn't they just lobby for change there?  That would make more sense to me then adding a video section here.

[off-topic]

Your just about to break 2000 posts JohnV!!

[/off-topic]

Is this forum dying?

Reply #48
And what about Divx Kaukura, Manihi, Kauehi.

betas, might not be so intersting. of course, this is just my personal view.

You aren't doing that in audio either, why in video?

I guess due to bandwith reason, which is for some ppl still a problem (including me  )

Concerned about what? That there's no place anymore for threads like "Is this forum dying?"??

point taken. but there also was brought up here, that things will be come back to 'normal' in time (although some development things are true...)

and to add a video section to ha is step, that unmoddels the whole forum...not that I'm one of the coremembers or have more insight than others or anything, but I still think that ha should mainly target audio-related things
the idea of something new is a good thing though, IF there's a need for it.

Sounds like the folks on doom9 could learn a bit from the way things are run here, but if a lot of our members already frequent domm9, couldn't they just lobby for change there? That would make more sense to me then adding a video section here

exactly what was I thinking!

Is this forum dying?

Reply #49
Sounds like the folks on doom9 could learn a bit from the way things are run here, but if a lot of our members already frequent domm9, couldn't they just lobby for change there?  That would make more sense to me then adding a video section here.

Maybe, but I'm not admin there, and I'm interested in the future of Hydrogenaudio more than I'm interested in the future of Doom9...
Juha Laaksonheimo