Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is this file a legitimate FLAC file? (Read 2326 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this file a legitimate FLAC file?

The file comes from Bandcamp. Audiochecker say it is "MPEG 95%" and Lossless Audio Checker say it is "Upsampled".

I looked at the spectrals and it doesn't look like a typical lossy transcoded FLAC. I'm not an expert analyzing spectrals, what do you think about it?

FLAC from BC

FLAC from CD

mp3

FLAC (from mp3)

Context:
The file belong to an album compilation that contains remastered songs from a demo and from a full-length. This file is part of the full-length. All tracks look pretty similar (cutoff at 14 khz and not mp3 cutoff or shelf).

Re: Is this file a legitimate FLAC file?

Reply #1
Bandcamp is not an authoritative source of music.

This very well may be an MP3 file sold as a FLAC. Blame the uploader of this music, not Bandcamp. They have not been caught selling mp3s as FLACs yet.

Reply #2
Yes, I guess in this cases it's better to stick with the mp3 version.

I must clarify that the FLAC from Bandcamp is not the same as the FLAC from the CD. They come from two different albums. The Bandcamp version is a remastered compilation containing tracks from a demo and the full-length. The CD version is the same song but from the full-length.

Reply #3
That looks like an MP3 file thats been transcoded to lossless.

As birdie said, blamed it on the band. I can recommend ya to contact the band through BC and complain to them. Also, report it to BC.

Reply #4
Bandcamp accepts only FLAC, WAVE or AIFF for upload.
Then they write the following stupidity, emphasis mine:
Do not upsample from MP3s. Please re-export the file from your music editing software in a lossless format like WAV, AIFF, or FLAC.
Aha. So as long as you don't upsample to a higher sampling rate than your MP3s, then you open it in your music editing software and export as FLAC, and upload?

By the way: as per Bandcamp's terms of service, they should offer me a download in case seller failed to deliver it.
They refused, citing anti-piracy policy. The artist could of course shoot down that bullshit.
IOW, Bandcamp cancels your purchase after you have paid.

Since that incident I have only purchased on the so-called Bandcamp Friday where they (promise to) waive their revenue. Next time is this upcoming Friday in one day and ten hours.

Reply #5
Aha. So as long as you don't upsample to a higher sampling rate than your MP3s, then you open it in your music editing software and export as FLAC, and upload?
I guess, they mean to re-export from original project files, not from mp3.

Reply #6
That is what they mean, of course(*). Why then use that phrase "upsample", when "upconvert" or even "convert" would do the job?

(*) Unless they want you to do whatever it takes to bring the files to the(ir) marketplace, but if you pop up your DAW, chances are you use the right file.

Reply #7
It's not just Bandcamp this problem, I have some CDs dating all the way back to the 90s that have lossy mastered tracks (I think they used MP2 or ATRAC).
LAME: -f -V 0 -Y
 Xing: -V150 -X2 -U2 -HF-1 -TX0

Reply #8
The main file I show up (FLAC from BC) is a web version but there is also a CD version that i don't have.

There is also a 2nd CD in the same line (a compilation of tracks from demo an a full-length of the same band on the same label) and you can see in the web version only the files from the full-length are proper FLAC files. It seems that for whatever reason they couldn't did the same the first rime.