Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 155836 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #575
Proper queue support with built-in queue viewer. It's currently pretty weird after all this years that there is no way to edit it (but using extra plugins). I would say it's one of the most basic features on a player.

No idea what was the original design plan, but currently being able to view and edit the queue is the standard. See Spotify, MusicBee, etc.

Reply #576
Proper queue support with built-in queue viewer. It's currently pretty weird after all this years that there is no way to edit it (but using extra plugins). I would say it's one of the most basic features on a player.

No idea what was the original design plan, but currently being able to view and edit the queue is the standard. See Spotify, MusicBee, etc.
I would guess the original design was to use playlists as more temporary objects to act as playback queue (which is how I used Winamp back in the day), but I can't be certain. Only Peter would know I think.

You've probably seen this thread. marc2k3 just made a new one, and might work on it more.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123942.new.html#new

I'll repeat here what I wrote in that thread:
I have embedded a screenshot showing my foobar layout, with the old foo_queuecontents area just below the playlist view. For a suitable replacement, I would need feature parity as far as customizable columns go. A perfect solution for me would be to have it somehow built-in to ColumnsUI so it could share all the current column options in the playlist view (with a couple minor changes), but I don't expect such a thing to happen. My only actual problem with foo_queuecontents right now is the scrollbar not following dark mode preferences, but it's only a minor issue.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123942.0;attach=25186;image

The second screenshot shows the columns I'm using in my queue contents editor.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=123942.0;attach=25188;image
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #577
Completely different from the previous post. My short wishlist of foobar2000 features:
1. Save shuffle order between application restarts
2. Option to reset volume to a specific level after restart
3. More playback order modes
- Play Once (Track)
- Play Once (Album)
- Repeat (Album)

I'm not an expert, but judging by current functionality in foobar2000, it seems like these would be trivial to add.

I am aware of foo_stopafteralbum, but it won't work for me. I already have a very frequent and specific use for "Stop After Current", and I can't use any other plugins that use it without losing functionality that is more important to me. Regarding Play Once (Track), I need "Stop After Current" to reset after playback stops, and it's impractical to go into the options menu and change that each time I play songs individually (I also have a button for Stop After Current, which I use frequently, but I forget very often when I'm playing tracks one at a time). Likewise, I have several playlists with multiple albums on them, and I would much prefer to have a playback mode that stops at the end of the album than having to add the whole thing to my queue, which causes different interactions with my controls.

If I had these features, my foobar setup would be basically perfect for my needs. Please pardon me if I have said anything strange. I have some cognitive problems due to medicine and other factors right now. Thank you for reading!

Reply #578
I saw it, but the point is at 2023 there should be no need for either a non updated component or a new one with missing features. It has been a few years since queue feature was added.

If the design is having playlists, then remove the queue. If the design is having a queue list, then add a proper queue. In the latter case it should be a native feature, not a half-baked one needing extra components. It's totally counterintuitive to have a queue and not being able to see/edit it. It's like an alien feature not integrated at all with the UI or the player.

The same for the playlist manager, I still don't understand how there is not a native manager supporting folders, searching or basic operations.

Also the current situation where even the most basic features of a player are being covered by plugins which at any point get broken on fb updates, have missing source code (or it disappears when author goes mad) or whatever makes no sense to me.

Sorry for being so critic, but really seeing how MusicBee has evolved during years compared to foobar2000... I think it's a reasonable expectation that an "advanced freeware audio player" (fb web description) should be able to at least manage playlist and playback in a basic way. XD

Reply #579
I would never update foobar ever again if the queue was removed. I rely on it constantly and it is so much better than making a new playlist every time. That's also why I want "Play Once (Album)" - so I can play only the songs I want without making a new playlist.

Reply #580
Native DSD support instead of the complex foo_sacd thing that sometimes truncates output in conversion because "Foobar does not support DSD passthrough"

It's a much-needed future from a long time. The ability to convert DSD to PCM without any filtering, then allow this PCM to pass through the choice of inbuilt resamplers, like SoX to get a high resolution PCM file.

Another option could be directly configuring DSD to pass through SoX, which would bypass the PCM conversion stage as SoX would do it himself, then the user can select the choice of settings through 3 easy drop downs: Quality, Passband, Phase

It's a much required addition, the need to use foo_sacd then add another dsp for resampling and pray to god that truncation doesn't happen in between these stages, afterwards going to the converter where another dsd warning comes up about loss

Native DSD would be much more optimised imo and it's definitely wanted by a lot of people as well

Hoping it happens

Reply #581
The ability to convert DSD to PCM without any filtering, then allow this PCM to pass through
I might be wrong, but that is not what DSD passthrough would mean? Passthrough usually means to pass it through unconverted.
(DSD doesn't store any ordinary PCM signal.)

DSD is an obsolete format, but you can get it into more sane files by using WavPack to compress them. Leaves you out in the cold on DST, but how many such files do you have?

Reply #582
Proper queue support with built-in queue viewer.
Seconing that.
fb2k has a checkbox for a playlist with your library selection view - who cares if that is a "play"-list. Why not one for playback queue. Makes it easier to remove tracks. (Possibly with "Remove duplicates", for the times when you hit Enter more than once.)

Reply #583
Proper queue support with built-in queue viewer.
Seconing that.
fb2k has a checkbox for a playlist with your library selection view - who cares if that is a "play"-list. Why not one for playback queue. Makes it easier to remove tracks. (Possibly with "Remove duplicates", for the times when you hit Enter more than once.)
I used to use a plugin that put the queue contents into a Playlist just like the others, but it was much less convenient for me than having a dedicated queue list that I can see while browsing other playlists.

I thought of another related thing that would be nice: An option to save playback queue between application restarts. If it already exists, I can't seem to find it.

Reply #584
Hello everybody, I am new to the forum.
I'd like to suggest the development of a plugin that in my opinion would be really useful.
It enables automatic equalization on a track-by track basis. I mean: every time a track is played, the specific equalizer settings for that track (previously stored) are loaded, if they exist. Otherwise flat equalization is applied.

For instance, the equalization parameters may be stored in the metadata of the track, of an associated xml file....

Such a plugin would be great to deal with badly recorded tracks (so many, unfortunately)...

Thaks
Luca

Reply #585
I would like a "Keep Queue" feature.

Keep Queue (foo_keep_queue)
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_keep_queue
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #586
I miss a player that opens up more professional possibilities, with the resource of opening VST3 audio analysis plugins, that has a Stereo/Mono button, which with these resources will be a resounding success in the music production environment, I don't know of any already made with this resources. What do you think of it?

Reply #587
I miss a player that opens up more professional possibilities, with the resource of opening VST3 audio analysis plugins, that has a Stereo/Mono button, which with these resources will be a resounding success in the music production environment, I don't know of any already made with this resources. What do you think of it?
Foobar v2 both 32 and 64-bit have a VST3/VST2 host plugin that works with a variety of VST3 plugins in 32 or 64 bit.
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_vst3

Reply #588
Can you make the 32 bit and 64 bit installers remember distinct file paths for portable installation? The path which it remembers after the click on "Browse".
Use case: I have two portable instances of fb2k, one is a 32 bit (because plugins), one a 64 bit. There's always a risk I update a 64 bit version into the wrong instance - or vice versa. Screenshot related.

Reply #589
Another wish: please, if possible, make "Automatically fill values" remember its fields - currently it always falls back to filename and empty fields.

Reply #590
The ability to convert DSD to PCM without any filtering, then allow this PCM to pass through
I might be wrong, but that is not what DSD passthrough would mean? Passthrough usually means to pass it through unconverted.
(DSD doesn't store any ordinary PCM signal.)

DSD is an obsolete format, but you can get it into more sane files by using WavPack to compress them. Leaves you out in the cold on DST, but how many such files do you have?

I asked to allow that converted PCM to pass through, so that you can prepare say FLAC or AAC files from the DSD directly. Foobar supports 64 bit floating point now, which is huge for precision, now foobar could convert the DSD to PCM 64 float and pass this directly to SoX resampler as 64 bit input, then SoX resamples it to the standard 44.1 or 88.1 rates and gives an undithered 32 bit float output.

This would be a mastering grade conversion with really high precision compared to converting the DSD to 24 bit 384khz DXD files for using in DAW then SRC'ing it from that reduced resolution to export again. Not only would it save time to do this in Foobar, but at 64 bit support, it would really keep the signal from getting unnecessarily dithered in between.

DSD, may seem obsolete to some, but MFSL is still releasing SACD's at a great pace and new albums or remasters of classic albums are being released to this day. SACD may have a few titles, but the few that exist are some of the best sounding records to exist to this day. Am not saying this is due to the technology of DSD but rather to the fact that DSD files were made from a remaster of the originals... which is why they more often than not have the complete dynamic range rather than loudness war induced garbage on CDs..

that's why I like the format, cuz the content they release on it is usually handled better for audiophile audience... and which is why I'd love to be able to convert it to a usable/compatible format with minimal loss

Reply #591
New main menu item: Help | Query syntax help with link to https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Query_syntax Withdrawn, redundant.

Reply #592
Hi,

nice to be: make ICON adjustable like album art pictures :-) - can be used to show a codec picture.

AND ! Album art in new reFacets

Reply #594
Why not? (Says someone who won't have to do the job.)
Might for that matter be entered under Preferences -> Display -> Album art at the bottom of the list of files to search for, as fallback if no other art is found: allow for
<icon>
at the bottom of the list

Reply #595
  • Advanced Preferences: Remember last filter.
  • DUI Playlist view: One-click ratings. Add optional confirmation message box. (I know its then not one-click anymore.)

Reply #596
portable mode and shell integration:
I never understood the choice for entanglement of one-folder-setups and missing availability of shell-integration.

X
X

I prefer 1-folder-foobar-setups as I don't want to fiddle around with different directorys and setups along different machines.
Therefore I manage 1 portable main setup that I use on different machines, more or less, and I never had to face big problems, maybe choose the right output device.
Easy handling of my configuration is the key point, which is not available out-of-the-box instead of going with portable.
Principally the used folder locations are the same for all the years..(2010+).
Downside is, and that really is, I am not being able to benefit of shell-integration.

I can understand that shell-registration and then changing folders probably might lead to problems. Though this can be advised before enabling shell-integration and can also partially be doublechecked, catched and optimised if really the case, which might be mostly rare.
As being an advanced user I would prefer having a better choice than all the years.

ReFacets bugs

Reply #597
1. [$year(%date%)] only reads Year
That makes<field> HAS <string> to not work
X

2. Unknown shows at end for Year but at top for genre
When using $if2([$year(%date%)],'('Unknown')') Unknown shows at end but when using $if2(%<genre>%,'('Unknown')') it shows at top

3. Make toolbar arrows lighter

4. Update the Tab Navigation Arrows

ojos-azules-cat

Re: ReFacets bugs

Reply #598
2. Unknown shows at end for Year but at top for genre
When using $if2([$year(%date%)],'('Unknown')') Unknown shows at end but when using $if2(%<genre>%,'('Unknown')') it shows at top

I was curious but I could not reproduce this - '(Unknown)' appears at the top of the list for both. As it should I think, since this is just alphabetical sorting - symbols '(' sort before numbers '2013' which sort before letters 'Rock'.

(Curious though why it would be different on yours)

Re: ReFacets bugs

Reply #599
5. After entering the query in toolbar, results in ESplaylist (set to follow) doesn't refresh until user selects All

X
ojos-azules-cat