Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yamaha SMAF format (Read 15294 times) previous topic - next topic

Yamaha SMAF format

Is anyone familiar with this multimedia data format invented by Yamaha?

http://smaf-yamaha.com/what/index.html

I need to find an encoder that can let me programmatically convert WAV files to this SMAF format.  I have contacted Yamaha two weeks ago but have yet to receive any information from them.

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #1
I had not heard of SMAF until I saw your post, but it appears to be a combination of MIDI and MOD style formats - sequenced FM and/or sampled audio data. I supposed it would be perfectly legal to simply wrap a WAV file into SMAF format by having it as one instance of one sample that lasts the entire duration of the file, but that's not (as far as I understand it) the way the format was designed to be used.

Have you tried using one of the authoring tools available on the site to create (non-programmatically) a SMAF version of one of your WAVs? How did it turn out?

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #2
I had not heard of SMAF until I saw your post, but it appears to be a combination of MIDI and MOD style formats - sequenced FM and/or sampled audio data. I supposed it would be perfectly legal to simply wrap a WAV file into SMAF format by having it as one instance of one sample that lasts the entire duration of the file, but that's not (as far as I understand it) the way the format was designed to be used.

Have you tried using one of the authoring tools available on the site to create (non-programmatically) a SMAF version of one of your WAVs? How did it turn out?

Yes, I also think it is possible to wrap a WAV file inside the SMAF format, but the so-called specification on the Yamaha site doesn't provide much details beyond a high level overview of the structure of a SMAF file.  It is quite frustrating that Yamaha has not replied my enqueries about the format and its authoring tools!

The authoring tools on the site do work.  However, I can't tell which bytes in the header represent the length of an audio chunk/section/whatever, which represent the format, etc.

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #3
Howdy,

maybe i can enlighten it a bit.

The Yamaha SMAF format may contain PCM samples.

Depending on the chip used for playback, you have different limits.

- YMU757 (MA1) = no samples

- YMU759 (MA2) = either (not mixed) 4 or 8 kHz mono ADPCM (yamaha's own variant - not public - its not IMA or MS!) - up to 10 samples - monophonic

- YMU762 (MA3) = dunno exactly yet, still researching - at least MA2 capabilities

-> they skipped MA4, cause 4 is an unlucky number in japan ;-)

- YMU765 (MA5) = dunno exactly yet, still researching - at least MA2 capabilities

Yamaha is offering DLL's for creating you own converting applications (windows only). All you have to do is contact them, accept and sign their NDA -- or have phun reverse engineering.

cheerz,
till

btw - you may find this usefull - a free tool for displaying SMAF property information (not using Yamaha's code):
http://www.mmsguru.com/modules.php?name=Co...=showpage&pid=3

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #4
Does anyone know of the documentation (API) of that dll - ma3smwemu.dll. Thanks in advance

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #5
Does anyone know of the documentation (API) of that dll - ma3smwemu.dll. Thanks in advance :)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224953"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I work for a small UK ringtones business, and we have exactly the same issues.  I've emailed Yamaha, but with no result. Can anyone help me find such a converter?

Regards.

Rob C

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #6
You probably need to find other means to contact Yamaha.  The contact information on the SMAF site is useless as no one ever replied.  We ended up getting in touch with their sales/marketing people and then signed an agreement and got the DLLs for WAVE to SMAF conversion.

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #8
You probably need to find other means to contact Yamaha.  The contact information on the SMAF site is useless as no one ever replied.  We ended up getting in touch with their sales/marketing people and then signed an agreement and got the DLLs for WAVE to SMAF conversion.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305920"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JKML, thanks so much.  I was wondering if you'd be able to forward me your Yamaha sales contacts or introduce me, so that I could find the right person in their organisation.

Best regards,

Rob

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #9
Look for "WSC-MA2-SMAF-u.rar"
or maybe
WSD (Wave Sound Decorator)

http://smaf-yamaha.com/tools/downloads.html
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=306048"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Volmax,

Thanks for the advice.  However I think both those files are meant for human users, and can't be accessed from the command line by another application.

Best,

Rob

Yamaha SMAF format

Reply #10
Anyone ever have any luck getting a Command Line version of a WAV to SMAF converter or the documentation and header files for that DLL they ship the GUI with? I could own up a shiny wooden nickel for anyone that has it! Even the secret e-mail address to the Yamaha person could help me out...

Regards,
Jacob