Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation (Read 100727 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation

Reply #200
You make the mistake of extrapolating selling prices from manufacturing cost. We're far from this model in many business areas, and you could argue that in the record business, it never was so.

Alternatively, you could say that the higher price of hires records is justified by their higher marketing cost. Having famous artists spout nonsense about how important hires is, in a youtube clip, doesn't come for free, for example.

The real bugger is when you get same screwed-up version in either format, except for the price difference. The more widely hires penetrates the market, the more we will see this kind of scam, I fear. By going mass market, I think the hires industry is defeating itself at the end. The quality level will be as low as before, the reputation will be ruined at least as thoroughly as before, and the prices won't be kept up, either.

Yeah but "money for Rick Rubin to say we're getting better fidelity" isn't where I want my extra 10 simoleons to go. I would like it to go towards surround/object mixes and ending the loudness war, but the hi-res community is just bound and determined to demand new, horrible-sounding stereo mixes of albums that already have them, but with moar bitz :(

I do hope your last paragraph is right and that this all comes crashing down sooner than later. I know the average person I know doesn't care a whit about mixing and mastering issues but certainly does care when extra cash comes out of their wallets. We shall see.

Reply #201
It depends on the hypothesis; if it was the vague sort of "audiophile claims" that you mentioned the last time, it must have been a claim like "if a disc is labelled as hi-res it will under all circumstances , by all listeners at all times perceived as better as a downsampled to CD quality version" .

Because they did not check for "hi-res ness", they did not really check for the quality of reproduction, they did not provide positive controls, they did not really track which music was used in the trials and so on.
And they used mostly a 10 trials per listener approach, which is surprising because they should have known at least since Leventhals articles about power, that a small number of trials is accompanied by a large risk of error type II. 

If the many, many, strongly reported claims of vast and obvious inherent audio superiority for hi rez over a span of decades -- the very lifeblood of its marketing -- were accurate reflections of reality, detecting difference for hi-rez  would not be a 'threshold' phenomenon.  M&M's experiments (not to mention all the others used in Reiss's MA) would have revealed a difference with extremely robust statistical support, far stronger than what Reiss abstracted from even the best-case MA interpretation. 
But they never have.  Ever.  Do you seriously think this is due to Type II error?

If not, you agree with Archimago's point, and why are you wittering on about this?

Reply #202
based on his meta-analysis give some advice to achieve better quality in experiments. :)
It's been over 20yrs. When can we expect these "better quality in experiments" from believers/peddlers of Hi-Re$ ?? Who is burdened with such proof?

Obviously, 'better quality experiments' are needed to reveal the marked improvement hi rez provides as a consumer delivery format.  It's really real.  The problem is that dozens of researchers over the years have simply not figured out the way to properly replicate what any audiophile and Stereophile reviewer hears in their untreated rooms listening to their hi rez recordings of various production provenance, over loudspeakers with vastly different performance.

As soon as we have those experiments, everything Sony and Phillips and Neil Young claimed back when about SACD and DVDA will finally be true. Promise.

Reply #203
It's been over 20yrs. When can we expect these "better quality in experiments" from believers/peddlers of Hi-Re$ ?? Who is burdened with such proof?
Apparently it's still on those of us who are skeptical, because we're
just the other camp of believers.
Remember, all failed attempts at finding unicorns are just type-ii errors because the wise and unbiased folks running the show over at the high-res cheer leading squad AES know that unicorns do in fact exist.  Don't believe them?  See Hear for yourselves!

Reply #204
All these pages and none of us yet thought of stopping at the title. The reference to higher-sample-rate audio as "high-resolution."

This term, stolen from video by marketing men is, simply, a non-technical marketing lie, isn't it?

But the success of those marketing men is such that even those who do not believe in it; even those who have the scientific education to know that it is wrong, yea, even unto the hallowed threads of hydrogenaudio, are using that term.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #205
All these pages and none of us yet thought of stopping at the title.

I pretty much stop at the idea that one would even need to do a meta analysis is an admission that, at best, it's a borderline question applicable only to borderline cases.

Reply #206
That's too vague.

Borderline cases meant hearing the affects of ultrasonic content in the audible band, without any interest (let alone effort) in narrowing the cause.

Reply #207
Yes. By "at best" I mean that even if we ignore any obvious questions and give them every benefit of every possible doubt.

Reply #208
And in doing so you've lost sight of the reality of the situation, which is exactly what industry advocates are preying upon.

Reply #209
No. I'm not conceding anything. I'm pointing out that their supposed proof, even if we were to accept without reservations, doesn't match their claims of importance anyway.

By relying on a meta analysis they are the ones conceding that they have not a single compelling study backing their claims that stands on is own over a period spanning decades.

Reply #210
I'm concerned that it is the narrative that is being conceded; but yeah, this "meta-analysis" is a complete and utter joke, though I'm pretty sure I already made that abundantly clear.

Reply #211
I'm concerned that it is the narrative that is being conceded; but yeah, this "meta-analysis" is a complete and utter joke, though I'm pretty sure I already made that abundantly clear.

OK, sorry, I don't see how it's more of a 'joke' than any other meta-analysis (if you think MAs are a joke inherently, well that's another debate).  It's actually well done, the only real issue would be if one were to hysterically over-interpret its rather meager (and unexplained)  findings of difference, which the hi rez cheerleading squad are sure to do  (and sadly Reiss himself already seems to have done, though mildly, with his press release statement)

You, me, and everyone we know here recognize that nothing in this paper supports the audiophile rhetorical party line, i.e., OMG veils lifted, creamier bass, its like they're in the room with me now, even my wife could hear it, Redbook is 'low rez', etc.   Good luck transmitting that news to the public though.

Reply #212
Well done?  Try over-done.  This whole thing reeks: generate buzz in order to promote the sales of uselessly bloated media (at a premium price) and equipment to play it on.  Yeah, it's a joke; a complete perversion.

Perhaps I do take issue with meta-analyses in general, but look at the collection of studies and tell me they weren't chosen specifically to strengthen the results of the BS "typical" filters report.  128kbit mp3 vs. hi-res?!? C'mon!

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #213
I'm down-grading my "layman's view" to complete waste of time just to keep this stuffed being talked about, which supports commercial interests."

Speaking of which, not that I am suggesting that this is one of those red-wine-is-good-for-you jobs, but was this work funded? Do people get paid for doing this stuff?
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #214
The author of this study undoubtedly gets paid to do lectures and has a vested interest in the health and well-being of the hi-fi industry (to which the AES is all but beholden) which apparently has chosen hi-re$ as its prime marketing strategy.

Reply #215
<snip>
If the many, many, strongly reported claims of vast and obvious inherent audio superiority for hi rez over a span of decades -- the very lifeblood of its marketing -- were accurate reflections of reality, detecting difference for hi-rez  would not be a 'threshold' phenomenon.

I agree to some degree (although pelmazo surely would call that point a blatant exaggeration :) ) , but it would definitively better to keep the various topics seperated. Marketing hype is one topic and a perceivable difference (or even advance) is another one.

Beside "night and day differences" everything else is not easy to detect within a controlled listening experiment, provided we are talking about multidimensional perception. That is the reason why it is mandatory to incorporate positive controls (for other reasons negative controls as well), and any experimenter should think about listener accomodation and even training.

.....M&M's experiments (not to mention all the others used in Reiss's MA) would have revealed a difference with extremely robust statistical support, far stronger than what Reiss abstracted from even the best-case MA interpretation. 
But they never have.  Ever.  Do you seriously think this is due to Type II error?

"all the others" is an exaggeration, because there aren´t that many, especially not sound attempts. Wrt Meyer/Moran i don´t think it is due to Type II errors (in the statistical sense), but roughly 25 years after Leventhals articles it is imho telling that we can´t notice any improvement in this point. Furthermore if it was not given by experimental guidelines that every participants really did 10 trials.
In their experiments not only the format was an independent variable but the locations, listeners and music tracks were variables too. Although the sample size seems to be big at first, if you consider the additional variables it isn´t. M&M listed 19 different discs that were used during the tests (how many possible tracks in total? how many tracks were used?) In fact the article and additional information could not answer that. Afair in a forum one of the authors said one disc was used during roughly the half of the trials. As apparently nobody noted this (imho quite important information) that might be correct or just a memory error.

Reply #216
<snip>
OK, sorry, I don't see how it's more of a 'joke' than any other meta-analysis (if you think MAs are a joke inherently, well that's another debate).  It's actually well done, the only real issue would be if one were to hysterically over-interpret its rather meager (and unexplained)  findings of difference, which the hi rez cheerleading squad are sure to do ......

That is an reasonable assessment and i don´t really understand the nearly "hysteric" critique. If we think that "the press" (and forums as well) routinely over-interpret, which was clearly also given when M&M presented their results, why this wittering about it?

....(and sadly Reiss himself already seems to have done, though mildly, with his press release statement)

It was so mildly that "sadly" is already exaggerating....

You, me, and everyone we know here recognize that nothing in this paper supports the audiophile rhetorical party line, i.e., OMG veils lifted, creamier bass, its like they're in the room with me now, even my wife could hear it, Redbook is 'low rez', etc.   Good luck transmitting that news to the public though.

Please help me wrt this forum. This section is labelled as "scientific discussion" and the topic was Dr. Reiss´s meta-analysis. The topic wasn´t any "audiophiles rhetorical party line" nor wild speculations about financial interests or mass market influences. What is going on ??

P.S. Ok given the recent restatement of the thread title, i understand that at least one of the moderators must have super powers and therefore KNOWS the TRUTH. Please forgive the sarcasm, but "scam" in the new title?

Reply #217
I agree to some degree (although pelmazo surely would call that point a blatant exaggeration :) ) , but it would definitively better to keep the various topics seperated. Marketing hype is one topic and a perceivable difference (or even advance) is another one.
I don't call krabapple's sentence an exaggeration. I think he's spot on. The exaggeration is wholly on the side of the audiophile marketing.

I'm sure most participants here are able to distinguish between marketing and science at least as well as Reiss himself, but the case at hand shows how they are linked. So why shouldn't this be a topic for the discussion here in this thread?

Beside "night and day differences" everything else is not easy to detect within a controlled listening experiment, provided we are talking about multidimensional perception. That is the reason why it is mandatory to incorporate positive controls (for other reasons negative controls as well), and any experimenter should think about listener accomodation and even training.
Please explain "multidimensional perception".

Are you saying that something that is easily perceivable under normal conditions is all of a sudden difficult to detect in a controlled listening experiment? If so, I want to know why, including hard evidence that it is so, and I want it explained without waffling, please.

"all the others" is an exaggeration, because there aren´t that many, especially not sound attempts. Wrt Meyer/Moran i don´t think it is due to Type II errors (in the statistical sense), but roughly 25 years after Leventhals articles it is imho telling that we can´t notice any improvement in this point. Furthermore if it was not given by experimental guidelines that every participants really did 10 trials.
Given how much Leventhal's contribution was warmly received by audiophile apologists, I'd say it is telling how little the audiophile side has made of it. If they really believe that Leventhal's demur was crucial, one would expect that they design an experiment accordingly, and present the much desired result. Instead, we have you and others complain that nobody listens to Leventhal. One could be excused for suspecting that you don't trust much that this would make a difference, and prefer it not to be tested in earnest, because as long as it remains so, you can use Leventhal to criticise others from the comfort of your armchair.

In their experiments not only the format was an independent variable but the locations, listeners and music tracks were variables too. Although the sample size seems to be big at first, if you consider the additional variables it isn´t. M&M listed 19 different discs that were used during the tests (how many possible tracks in total? how many tracks were used?) In fact the article and additional information could not answer that. Afair in a forum one of the authors said one disc was used during roughly the half of the trials. As apparently nobody noted this (imho quite important information) that might be correct or just a memory error.
Wait a minute! We are discussing a meta study here that attempts to combine several studies whose experiments were even more diverse, and the variables were even more varied. Yet it is M&M that you are criticising. Do you not realize how blinkered this comes across?

That is an reasonable assessment and i don´t really understand the nearly "hysteric" critique. If we think that "the press" (and forums as well) routinely over-interpret, which was clearly also given when M&M presented their results, why this wittering about it?
I have got some more criticism than krababble, as already presented, so I believe he's a bit on the clement side. Reiss' tendency to reference and present even wacko scientists with no reference to criticism at all, is something I find both telling and unacceptable.

I'm glad, however, that you find the critique only "nearly hysteric". That already sets it apart from the way the M&M study was and is being received in the audiophile press. That's not only hysteric, it is sometimes bordering on character assassination.

Please help me wrt this forum. This section is labelled as "scientific discussion" and the topic was Dr. Reiss´s meta-analysis. The topic wasn´t any "audiophiles rhetorical party line" nor wild speculations about financial interests or mass market influences. What is going on ??
It is not unscientific to look at the context, is it? ;)

P.S. Ok given the recent restatement of the thread title, i understand that at least one of the moderators must have super powers and therefore KNOWS the TRUTH. Please forgive the sarcasm, but "scam" in the new title?
I wouldn't have renamed it, but greynol (assuming it was him) certainly has superpowers, and he knows the truth much better than many others, if only in lowercase. ;)

Reply #218
No they (M&M) didn´t issue a press release; instead they used sort of guerilla marketing in forums promoting their publication.

i don´t really understand the nearly "hysteric" critique.

That's a good question. Are you just a believer, or do you have some skin in the Hi-Re$ game?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #219
greynol [...] certainly has superpowers
Any statistical book reports attempting to imply otherwise will only be fraught by type-ii errors.

Reply #220
Beside "night and day differences" everything else is not easy to detect within a controlled listening experiment, provided we are talking about multidimensional perception.

And yet rather easy for the eager consumer or Stereophile reviewer to detect, eh?  After  all, we have tons of testimony to that effect

That is the reason why it is mandatory to incorporate positive controls (for other reasons negative controls as well), and any experimenter should think about listener accomodation and even training.

You're really not getting the point .

.....M&M's experiments (not to mention all the others used in Reiss's MA) would have revealed a difference with extremely robust statistical support, far stronger than what Reiss abstracted from even the best-case MA interpretation. 

"all the others" is an exaggeration, because there aren´t that many, especially not sound attempts.

Be more pedantic why don't you?  OK then, the experiments that used ostensibly 'hi rez' sources and compared them to standard rate audio.

Wrt Meyer/Moran i don´t think it is due to Type II errors (in the statistical sense), but roughly 25 years after Leventhals articles it is imho telling that we can´t notice any improvement in this point.

It's especially notable that the hi rez cheerleading side haven't provided any such experiments, given that they seized on Type II errors as their savior back in the day and will do so again per Reiss.  But the again, the most vocal of them were also opposed to blind testing , period, for the longest time.  I'm sure now they'll be OK with it now though, since all (be sure to check me on that) of the work he cites used blind protocols of some type. .

(But then *again*, IIRC Reiss did mention the 'cognitive load' line with a straight face -- an other effect that seems to operate only when doing comparison under experimental conditions, rather than when carefully auditioning a new SACD or DVDA or HDtracks download for review --  so you never know. )

Who cares?  It certainly didn't matter to the people whose reports M&M were addressing...the people who were ALREADY claiming to hear easily notable differences auditioning even *analog sourced* SACDs/DVDAs and their Redbook counterparts....and ALREADY attributing it to 'hi rez' rather than , e.g., different mastering, different playback levels, sighted bias, etc.

M&M took these people at their word.  And *after* that, these people picked up the goalpost and marched downfield, proclaiming that only pure hi rez would suffice for proof, thanks very much

Reply #221
Furthermore, though the causes are still unknown - Reiss

That is the reason why it is mandatory to incorporate positive controls

What positive controls?? Be specific.
That or put on your Hi-Res glasses and reread what Reiss wrote.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #222

<snip>
First, you should not use "important" when you mean "significant" (in the statistical sense).

To quote Dr. Reiss from the AES press release:
"“Audio purists and industry should welcome these findings,” said Reiss. “Our study finds high-resolution audio has a small but important advantage in its quality of reproduction over standard audio content. Trained listeners could distinguish between the two formats around sixty percent of the time.”

The press release was not peer reviewed. Reiss has said that he takes sole responsibility for it.  Therefore its credibility is very limited. It seems to be 1 mans opinion.  This pleases me because as an AES member, I take some responsibility for AES peer reviewed papers, but not for press releases.

52.3% would qualify as statistically significant but of very limited practical relevance; 60% is usually considered to be of practical relevance.

The meaning of relevance is circumstantial.  For example, a new medication that saves lives 60% of the time it is administered would be considered by medical science to to be have some value. An driverless car that avoids causing a serious accident only 60% of the time it is driven around town would be probably considered to be worse than useless.

I have previously documented 4 failures of working (in a signals analysis sense) high resolution audio technologies to be commercially viable.

I think that we need to weigh our experimental results in terms of their practical impact.

We have practical examples of media performance upgrades that seem to have been generally successful that as far as I know have not been subjected to the kind of precise scrutiny that high res audio has received:  Vinyl and consumer analog tape -> CD audio  and  S-VHS audio/video -> DVD A/V AKA  MPEG-2 video + Dolby Digital audio.

It seems to me that if people want the kind of commercial success that CD Audio and DVD audio/video have obtained in the market place, comparable  audible quality over CD audio and DVD audio needs to be provided.

Reply #223
You, me, and everyone we know here recognize that nothing in this paper supports the audiophile rhetorical party line, i.e., OMG veils lifted, creamier bass, its like they're in the room with me now, even my wife could hear it, Redbook is 'low rez', etc.  Good luck transmitting that news to the public though.

The paper was peer reviewed and says approximately what you say - "...Nothing in this paper supports the audiophile rhetorical party line, i.e., OMG veils lifted, creamier bass, its like they're in the room with me now, even my wife could hear it, "

However we can't separate it from Reiss's AES press release:

http://www.aes.org/press/?ID=362

"Research Finds Audible Differences with High-Resolution Audio"

"“Audio purists and industry should welcome these findings,” said Reiss. “Our study finds high-resolution audio has a small but important advantage in its quality of reproduction over standard audio content. "

Please help with your your reading ability.

How does "Audio purists and industry should welcome these findings,” said Reiss.“

fail to support "...audiophiles rhetorical party line  ... wild speculations about ... mass market influences."

Reply #224

What is your authority for making the claim that  "Beside "night and day differences" everything else is not easy to detect within a controlled listening experiment, provided we are talking about multidimensional perception"

I've done many experiments related to multidimensional perception in controlled listening experiments, and if the difference is often easy to accurately identify.  Based on your former comments, I don't think you have any hands-on experience in this area, nor can you cite any relevant authoritative publications to support your claims. Like Reiss' press release, your comments appear to be just one (inexperienced and uneducated)  man's opinion.