Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD live streaming (Read 1863 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD live streaming

http://dsd.st/en/

just saw this on facebook.

Cheers,
David.

DSD live streaming

Reply #1
Evolution arises. Now that it is well understood that PCM rings like hell no matter how you filter DSD can help! Would be interesting to directly compare it to MQA.

Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

DSD live streaming

Reply #2
Some fragments are quite funny, depending on how you read them.
With DSD 5.6 MHz, an enormous amount of information is recorded by sampling the sound wave at a sampling frequency 128 times that of a CD to enable the transmission of faithful, high-quality reproductions of analog audio.

Ok, we are talking about DSD128  (sigma-delta, 1bit, 5.6Mhz)  (and reading different parts, seems mostly a propaganda event for Korg and Sony).

Anyway, it's funny how they empathize the "128 times more", but we know that in practice, its like a 20bit 96Khz PCM.

Your Internet connection must have an effective speed of roughly 12 Mbps or higher. Playback over low speed connections like ADSL or mobile is not supported.

I guess they plan to have few users connected...  Just 100 users represent already 1.2Gbit/s

DSD live streaming

Reply #3
Their facebook feed said that it worked,  and they could hear the difference between DSD 2.8 and 5.6.

Don't shoot the (completely skeptical) messenger!

I've noticed some things (I mean basic products in supermarkets) where the more than good enough option is still very cheap. There are always more expensive versions of these products available. They give several unconvincing reasons why the more expensive version is better, but I think it comes down to this: some people just want to spend more money on that item. Either they want to say somethng about themselves by spending more on the product,  or they do it to show to themselves or others how important they think that item is, or they refuse to believe (for various reasons) that the cheaper option can be more than good enough.

We now have the audio equivalent.  The real justification is this piece of human psychology.  IMO.

Cheers,
David.

DSD live streaming

Reply #4
I've noticed some things (I mean basic products in supermarkets) where the more than good enough option is still very cheap. There are always more expensive versions of these products available. They give several unconvincing reasons why the more expensive version is better, but I think it comes down to this: some people just want to spend more money on that item.

Two words: Organic Food.

Either they want to say something about themselves by spending more on the product,  or they do it to show to themselves or others how important they think that item is, or they refuse to believe (for various reasons) that the cheaper option can be more than good enough.

I think that most people who buy the higher priced alternatives are seeking something that is better. In the case of food, both flavor and healthfulness of a given product can vary for any number of reasons: how its grown, how it is processed, how it is stored and delivered, how the consumer treats it after he gets a hold of it. 

Most food comes from living plants and animals and anybody who has grown plants and animals and eaten them knows that there is tremendous natural variation. In many cases the fact that food products have consistent sensory qualities is quite amazing given the sensory variations in the raw materials. Coffee and meat comes to  mind.

We now have the audio equivalent.  The real justification is this piece of human psychology.  IMO.

One big difference is that especially since the advent of digital audio, audio gear with high sensory performance has become very inexpensive and consistent. 

For example I noticed that Infinity P363s are being sold by Amazon for less than $100 each. They were good price performers at $300.  Paradigm is getting close to $1k for speakers that are not that much better performers.  This is one heck of a deal!

DSD live streaming

Reply #5
Stereo??
Loudspeaker manufacturer