Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions (Read 70425 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions

Reply #125
That warm tubey goodness (which I have heard)  only was audible with music when the system was biamped.    And only when he used speakers that were a tough load.  You left that part out.  IOW, you have to 'match' your tube amp to the 'right' system to get that sound*. Meyer talks about this too, in another part you didn't quote.

No, I didn't leave anything out.  I provided an exact cut out of the article with the complete answer.  Here is the concluding paragraph for the whole article:

Now AMir, you know and I know know and everyone who can see knows that this is nto the screencap you posted before

Tsk, tsk Amir, you know and I know and everyone who has followed along knows that this is not the section you quoted in teh post I was replying to, which did not have the 'complete answer'  (and which now,  oh dear, lives in the cornfield )

This screencap you've got  here is a section *I* already posted -- the final q/a of the article.  I asked you to post it as your second pop quiz, days ago,  and you failed.  Posting it *now* is far too late to amend your failing grade, alas.

Worse, this is *not* the section I was referring to up there (I've now bolded it), where Meyer talks about having to 'match' amp to speaker, to get that warm tubey goodness.  That spans a few Q/As, including an interesting digression on philosophy of hardware design.

Might be on your next pop quiz.  Better read up on it.

The conclusions as he states them is quite different than our marching orders in forums. Have someone say they replaced an AVR with a monoblock and heard a difference and hell will break lose. The person will be told that is an impossibility. Yet, above is your expert witness saying that could happen.

An SS amp and a tube amp sounding different would *hardly* be deemed impossible here, Amir*.  You simply don't know what you're talking about re:  Hydrogenaudio.  But you're getting an *excellent* education.

(*I've linked to the newest and oldest refs to tube amps I can find here)

Reply #126
And this is what he says above that concluding remark:

This torpedos any statement that amplifiers sound the same.  That even if two amps have been shown to sound the same in blind tests, all you have to do is change the speaker and the sound will be different. 

Audiophiles we hate talk about this all the time.  They call it "synergy."  Here is your expert witness saying that is 100% true.

tsk, tsk, Amir, another line taken out of context.  You're incorrigible.  In context of what's written *before and after*, that one-line answer makes a lot of sense.  Cherry-picking is a form of  cheating. 

That answer isn't meant to stand all by itself -- it comes after pages of explanation where the 'questioner' has been carefully led to a place of understanding.  And it precedes the coup de grace that lays out , carefully qualified, conditions where audible difference likely does and does not manifest in amps.

And it's simply ludicrous to claim it 'torpedoes any statement that amps sound the same'.  In the case where two SS amps under comparison aren't being driven to distortion/stressed by speakers with 'strongly varying impedance curves',Meyer would say, quite correctly and confidently, that they will probably sound the same, with music, in a blind test.  That's torpedo-proof. 

And the beauty part is:  it's also a rather far more common case for any two random setups than, say, happening upon an SS amp vs a tube amp as the top halves of two biamped setup (the only situation here where *music* acted as a revealing probe signal)

Reply #127
Might be on your next pop quiz.  Better read up on it.

Since you liked my last quote , here is another from Mr. Meyer's article:

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #128
But alas, Dancing Man from Madrona, it does not support the audiophile nostrum that *all amps sound different". Which is really at the core of hi-end belief systems, like the more recent 'high rez lifts the veil of Redbook'.

You know, the beliefs you peddle.

Reply #130
And this is what he says above that concluding remark:

This torpedos any statement that amplifiers sound the same.  That even if two amps have been shown to sound the same in blind tests, all you have to do is change the speaker and the sound will be different. 

Audiophiles we hate talk about this all the time.  They call it "synergy."  Here is your expert witness saying that is 100% true.

Amir, since you claim such extensive audio professional expertise, please just tell us an quick anecdote about the blind tests of amplifiers that you have personally performed.

Reply #131
Being a “statement” product, the Mark Levinson No 53 sports a traditional linear power supply from the Mark Levinson Reference 532 amplifier. The temptation in class D designs is to use a switching mechanism in the power supply itself feeding the amplifier. While this provides improved efficiency it aggravates a weakness of switching amplifiers which is their very high sensitivity (compared to linear amplifiers) to power supply voltage variations and noise which unfortunately get worse with switching supplies. Copious amount of “negative feedback” can be used to compensate for this but that leads potentially to amplifier instability (and some would claim compromised audio fidelity). [/i][/color]

Are you able to follow this kind of technical explanation...?

I've shown several times  here how the paragraph above is hopelessly flawed, and nothing that Levinson, Crown or any division of Harman would publish on their own.

Interestingly enough, you have not seen fit to reply to my comments in any meaningful way. You did try to turn the discussion personal by making some disparaging comments about PC power supplies, but I was able to easily debunk their hopelessly flawed technical content, and again you ran away from the discussion.

Reply #132
tsk, tsk, Amir, another line taken out of context.  You're incorrigible.  In context of what's written *before and after*, that one-line answer makes a lot of sense.  Cherry-picking is a form of  cheating. 

That answer isn't meant to stand all by itself -- it comes after pages of explanation where the 'questioner' has been carefully led to a place of understanding.  And it precedes the coup de grace that lays out , carefully qualified, conditions where audible difference likely does and does not manifest in amps.

And it's simply ludicrous to claim it 'torpedoes any statement that amps sound the same'.  In the case where two SS amps under comparison aren't being driven to distortion/stressed by speakers with 'strongly varying impedance curves',Meyer would say, quite correctly and confidently, that they will probably sound the same, with music, in a blind test.  That's torpedo-proof.

The problem is Steven, our esteemed member Arny, has proven that high-power solid state amps sound different:

And the beauty part is:  it's also a rather far more common case for any two random setups than, say, happening upon an SS amp vs a tube amp as the top halves of two biamped setup (the only situation here where *music* acted as a revealing probe signal)

"music" did not act as revealing probe signal.  A couple of tracks picked at random by a tester does not constitute a proper test.

If two amplifiers sound different on pink noise, they are different sounding.  Period.  End of discussion.  This is not a place where one hides under that excuse.  For pink noise to garner nearly 100% confident differences in double blind testing, as they did in Meyer's testing, one or both amps are deviating from anything that we would envision a linear amplifier to do: add gain without any colorations.
Amir

Reply #133
"music" did not act as revealing probe signal.  A couple of tracks picked at random by a tester does not constitute a proper test.

Amir, please reveal the means by which musical test tracks were selected for this highly publicized sighted evaluation that you have staked your reputation and the reputation of your business on:

http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Mark...3Amplifier.html

"Reinventing the Audio Power Amplifier: Mark Levinson No 53"

By Amir Majidimehr

Reply #134
The problem is Steven, our esteemed member Arny, has proven that high-power solid state amps sound different:

If two amplifiers sound different on pink noise, they are different sounding.  Period.  End of discussion.

An even bigger problem Amir, is you claim amps sound different here:

...but provide zero info on test methods or material used, music or pink noise.
Very much a amateurish hobbyist type mistake for such a paper/claim.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #135
Amir, please reveal the means by which musical test tracks were selected for this highly publicized sighted evaluation that you have staked your reputation and the reputation of your business on:

By Amir Majidimehr

Perhaps he used pink noise? Or maybe some kind of spectrum analyzer program on his pc that could be used for many such things?
There is nothing to indicate setup or level matching method either. Very troubling for such a test and subsequent claims, given Amirs very public level matching method history:
listening test, described here, when he tested DACs back in 2001-02.
Originally Posted by amirm
The comparison I performed was using a Mark Levinson No360S against the on-board DACs in five to six DVD-A and SACD players, all playing the same time sync'ed CD. In other words, I would listen to the analog output of the player while its digital output would feed the ML DAC. All front panel lights were turned off in addition to video circuits (yes, all of that made a difference in fidelity).

The two sources were fed to the dual inputs of a Stax "earspeaker" electrostatic headphone amp. If you are not familiar with Stax, you can read learn more about them here: http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html. I have three of their units and results are consistent across the board although the highest end unit does make the job a bit easier. Using headphones allowed me to completely eliminate the room and take advantage of the amazing transparency of these headphones to listen for the slightest differences. To latter point, I would often listen to material at levels well above what I would use for listening to music, allowing me to hear detail that would otherwise be lost.

I then picked material that made it easier to detect differences between DACs. I am not going to disclose what constitutes such content. Without such material, the job can range from difficult to impossible. One has to know what could be damaged by a DAC and then use music that has such content. To give you an example, when you compress music, it is the transients that suffer. So something like guitar music is much more revealing than say, violin as the latter is much more harmonic than the sharp impulses of a guitar. Voices play the same role. None of these are useful for testing DACs though so don’t use that as a hint to the question posed . You can’t test the cornering of a car if you just drive it straight….

The comparison was then conducted without knowing which input is which, sitting in front of the headphone amp and toggling back and forth. When necessary, I would go back and re-listen. Once I found which one sounded worse, I would then repeat the exercise by randomizing the inputs and seeing if I could still identify which one was worse. My success rate was 100% in the second test (i.e. could always verify that the first result was not by chance). This testing was repeated a number of times comparing the different sources against each other and the ML.

I did not level match anything. However, once I found one source was worse than the other, I would then turn up the volume to counter any effect there. Indeed, doing so would close the gap some but it never changed the outcome. Note that the elevated level clearly made that source sound louder than the other. So the advantage was put on the losing side.

The results above were later objectively shown to be backed by some science in Stereophile magazine. In reviews of said players and Mark Levinson, it was shown that the former would only resolve to 14 or 15 bits of audio samples. Turning off the front panel pushed some up to 16 bits or so. The ML on the other hand, was tested to have equiv. of 19.5 bits. This is contrast to all the DACs being rated at "24 bits."

Now this testing is a few years old (probably circa 2001 to 2002). Maybe DACs have improved so much that the $20 part in the player is just as good as my then $8000 Mark Levinson DAC (which was hand tuned). If so, then I like to know who has tested the new ones and details of their methodology.

There you have it. Was it worth the wait?

Amir, hopefully it will be worth our wait when you explain how you ran these amp distortion comparison tests of yours. Guess we'll just have to keep asking. 

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #136

Like the one you did with your Mark Levinson amp?   

Music is what most people listen to over their audio systems.  Most people, if they could hear a difference  with a test tone, but not with music,  wouldn't care about the former.  They'd care if they could hear it with music, though.  But you're special, I know.

If two amplifiers sound different on pink noise, they are different sounding.  Period.  End of discussion.  This is not a place where one hides under that excuse.  For pink noise to garner nearly 100% confident differences in double blind testing, as they did in Meyer's testing, one or both amps are deviating from anything that we would envision a linear amplifier to do: add gain without any colorations.

I see.  So, if difference can be perceived under *some* circumstance, it is perceived in *all*?

You've heard of masking, right? Perception of sonic difference dependent on absence of other sounds?

Also, I'm with you on the 'envisioning a linear amplifier' thing: I would call that tube amp's behavior *intentionally pathological*.  And again, no one here, or elsewhere, is claiming that tube amps fit the definition of 'amps that are likely to sound the same'.

Reply #137

Music is what most people listen to over their audio systems.

No, two tracks does not equate "music."  You must demonstrate that those two tracks are revealing of frequency response variations which is what he has testing.  His data clearly shows that pink noise did that and his selected music clips did not.  We have objective data here on which is the right answer: it was the pink noise.

Most people, if they could hear a difference  with a test tone, but not with music,  wouldn't care about the former.  They'd care if they could hear it with music, though.  But you're special, I know.

For amplifiers you better care if you hear it with a tone just the same. 

I see.  So, if difference can be perceived under *some* circumstance, it is perceived in *all*?

Where did you get "all" from?  If an amplifier is coloring the sound with pink noise, then it has the ability to do that with some selection of music or music segments just the same.  That you didn't get lucky with a couple of tracks to hear them doesn't change that fact at all. 

You've heard of masking, right? Perception of sonic difference dependent on absence of other sounds?

Masking is not the issue here with respect to linear frequency response variations.  If I insert an eq and boost 2 Khz by 2 db, whether you hear it or not is a statistical problem: does your music have sufficient energy in that frequency for it to be audible.  See this article I wrote on that based on excellent work from Dr. Toole on Audibility of Resonances: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Audi...istortions.html

Coloration of this type is not distortion where you could talk about masking hiding the introduced distortion products.

Also, I'm with you on the 'envisioning a linear amplifier' thing: I would call that tube amp's behavior *intentionally pathological*.  And again, no one here, or elsewhere, is claiming that tube amps fit the definition of 'amps that are likely to sound the same'.

Good.  We are in agreement here .
Amir

Reply #138

By Amir Majidimehr

Amir, hopefully it will be worth our wait when you explain how you ran these amp distortion comparison tests of yours. Guess we'll just have to keep asking.

Why do you assume that by repeating your question it gets you the explanation? 
Amir

Reply #139

By Amir Majidimehr

Because repeating it  did get us a true explanation. If there was anything positive or scientific about how you did those tests you'd be trumpeting it from the rooftops. Since you are not doing that, past experience indicates that you are trying to hide the fact that the only substantiation you have are plain ordinary golden ear audiophile sighted non level-matched evaluations based on whatever music you picked by random.

The first few times we were unsure if you were able to comprehend what we were asking for given your track record for that, but the post above shows that you do understand our reasonable expectations, but are just stone-walling us to avoid taking responsibility for your anti-scientific work.  We know that there is a positive relationship between how hard you obfuscate and how much you think you have to hide.

Reply #140

Why do you assume your repeated evasions and dancing isn't providing explanations/answers?
Plus, we have precedence involved here. Your previous audibility "listening" comparison test. Prior art. Behold:

The comparison I performed was using a Mark Levinson No360S against the on-board DACs in five to six DVD-A and SACD players, all playing the same time sync'ed CD. In other words, I would listen to the analog output of the player while its digital output would feed the ML DAC. All front panel lights were turned off in addition to video circuits (yes, all of that made a difference in fidelity).

The two sources were fed to the dual inputs of a Stax "earspeaker" electrostatic headphone amp. If you are not familiar with Stax, you can read learn more about them here: [url="http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html"]http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html
. I have three of their units and results are consistent across the board although the highest end unit does make the job a bit easier. Using headphones allowed me to completely eliminate the room and take advantage of the amazing transparency of these headphones to listen for the slightest differences. To latter point, I would often listen to material at levels well above what I would use for listening to music, allowing me to hear detail that would otherwise be lost.

I then picked material that made it easier to detect differences between DACs. I am not going to disclose what constitutes such content. Without such material, the job can range from difficult to impossible. One has to know what could be damaged by a DAC and then use music that has such content. To give you an example, when you compress music, it is the transients that suffer. So something like guitar music is much more revealing than say, violin as the latter is much more harmonic than the sharp impulses of a guitar. Voices play the same role. None of these are useful for testing DACs though so don’t use that as a hint to the question posed . You can’t test the cornering of a car if you just drive it straight….

The comparison was then conducted without knowing which input is which, sitting in front of the headphone amp and toggling back and forth. When necessary, I would go back and re-listen. Once I found which one sounded worse, I would then repeat the exercise by randomizing the inputs and seeing if I could still identify which one was worse. My success rate was 100% in the second test (i.e. could always verify that the first result was not by chance). This testing was repeated a number of times comparing the different sources against each other and the ML.

I did not level match anything. However, once I found one source was worse than the other, I would then turn up the volume to counter any effect there. Indeed, doing so would close the gap some but it never changed the outcome. Note that the elevated level clearly made that source sound louder than the other. So the advantage was put on the losing side.

The results above were later objectively shown to be backed by some science in Stereophile magazine. In reviews of said players and Mark Levinson, it was shown that the former would only resolve to 14 or 15 bits of audio samples. Turning off the front panel pushed some up to 16 bits or so. The ML on the other hand, was tested to have equiv. of 19.5 bits. This is contrast to all the DACs being rated at "24 bits."

Now this testing is a few years old (probably circa 2001 to 2002). Maybe DACs have improved so much that the $20 part in the player is just as good as my then $8000 Mark Levinson DAC (which was hand tuned). If so, then I like to know who has tested the new ones and details of their methodology.

There you have it. Was it worth the wait?[/i]

See? It took 2 threads (thanks to Chu Gai for starting 2nd) before you divulged your listening test method for ML DACs.
Then, it took a full 14 pages and 400+ posts, before you admitted that it/the results were a farce, an utter fabrication:

Originally Posted by Terry Montlick View Post

And you derive this probable number from exactly what statistical test??

Nothing that complicated. I give it one out of three chances to be wrong, based on more than a decade of conducting double-blind and subjective tests and formal evaluations of my hearing. In other words, I know what percentage of time I have made a fool of myself in such tests . Versus being right.

You didn't answer my question on how many blind tests you have been involved in.

So their is precedence and ample reason to continue asking about your (ML) amp distortions audibility test, in the Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions thread.
I'm (we?) hoping it doesn't take 2 threads and 400+ posts to shed light on your amp "tests", but that's entirely up to you.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #141
No, two tracks does not equate "music."

I didn't say 'represents all possible  music' .  But  Cowboy Junkies and the Bach Oratorio are both probably nice recordings (CJ had a reputation for high quality sound), what do you suggest as a revealing musical probe for conditions 2 and 3? Something mastered more modern-style with heavy compression, perhaps?  Could even be a high rez recording!

You must demonstrate that those two tracks are revealing of frequency response variations which is what he has testing.  His data clearly shows that pink noise did that and his selected music clips did not.  We have objective data here on which is the right answer: it was the pink noise.

He *heard* the difference between SS and tube with *music* (as well as pink noise) in Condition 1 ( amps  driving the top end of the biamped system)  where the load resulted in a bump below 500Hz in the tube system, vs the SS system.  So music was a sufficient probe for that. (It's unclear how  many subjects were tested besides himself, so I say 'he')

In condition2 (same amps driving the same system full range)  he reports no difference with music, did hear one with pink noise, and there was *no bump* in the <500 Hz FR but there was still some narrower-band  FR differences e.g. dip circa 4kHz.

In condition 3, both amps driving a system that was a less difficult load, the FRs were even less different than before --  similar enough that no difference was heard with music and *barely any* with pink noise.  Remember too that these tests included breaks for coffee, multiple ways of playing the material, etc... he/they were really trying hard.

In each case it's the tube amp that has the less flat FR....it's the less 'true' output compared to input.

You're suggesting that with different musical selections, the difference he heard with pink noise in 2,  barely detectable  with pink noise  in  3, would also manifest with  music.

Could be!  But *I'd* say Meyer's showing evidence supporting two rather more practical conclusions: 1) big FR differences due to a particular amp/speaker pairing are more likely to manifest audibly (with music or pink noise) than small ones; 2) pink noise will more readily reveal small ones.

So: if you plan to listen to music, avoid amp/speaker pairings likely to result in big/broad deviations from flat FR.  If you're into pink noise, be even more careful.

Seriously, you think this is a common danger?  This all 'matters' only if we expect to encounter amps that behave like that tube amp  (the SS behaved well *in all conditions*).  How often do you think a random pair of amps will feature one behaving like that tube amp?

(I would say it's probably more likely in the *high end* where intentionally pathological hardware is sometimes 'recommended' )

Reply #142
So their is precedence and ample reason to continue asking about your (ML) amp distortions audibility test, in the Audibility of Audio Power Amplifier Distortions thread.
I'm (we?) hoping it doesn't take 2 threads and 400+ posts to shed light on your amp "tests", but that's entirely up to you.

I was looking at the Levinson 57 power amp pictures on the web and suddenly realized that a pair of them grace the pictures of his personal stereo system that Amir has posted on AVS.

Explains a lot, eh? ;-)

Reply #143
I was looking at the Levinson 57 power amp pictures on the web and suddenly realized that a pair of them grace the pictures of his personal stereo system that Amir has posted on AVS.

Explains a lot, eh? ;-)

Amir has said he does not have a personal stereo system at home, so he can't post any pictures of such. He's not a music lover/audiophile himself, he simply sees a market for and sells audiophile (vs "Mid-Fi") equipment. He claims to have a laptop at home where he analyses files. Mentioned something about a real time spectrum analyzer once, but I don't recall the details. Perhaps you're referring to this pic, which is at Madrona, which he pitched here in this amusing thread:

There is no evidence that any comparison to AB/other class D amps ever actually took place, but I suppose it's possible this is where Amir "heard" the super bass/"neutrality" etc of the $50K+ MLs he peddles in that write up about amp distortions.
We still await the details, which perhaps are still in the making?

cheers,

AJ

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #144
Careful now, Arny. If you mention his name three times he'll appear just like in the movie Candyman.

Reply #145
He's not a music lover/audiophile himself, he simply sees a market for and sells audiophile (vs "Mid-Fi") equipment.

I do not. Anyone who sets up shop to sell high-end audio gear needs to either a) have his head examined or b) is much smarter than me in knowing how to make money from it.  Retail audio business sucks and sucks big time.  Here is the type of projects we do: http://www.madronadigital.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

No audio equipment in sight, right?  Well, there is.  Custom made Triad speakers to our spec have been installed in a way you can't see them.  There is a sub above the fireplace.  The system is powered by a commercial Crown amplifier with its DSP programmed for best in-room response.  Client enjoys music and loves it.  If you showed up with the speakers you sell they would throw you out of the room.  You can read the story behind that and more in this article I wrote for Widescreen Review Magazine: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Arch...turalAudio.html

Here is the rack of crown amplifiers used to power the Bellevue Mercedes dealership:

You can read the story behind the innovations in their system in this other article I wrote: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Barr...rcedesBenz.html

We also did the audio system for the Seattle Wheel (our version of London Eye): http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Seat...at%20Wheel.html

We used CBT speakers to reduce the sharp drop off from distance to the speaker as people wait in line.

A high-end project for us is $500,000.  $100,000 of it will be for automated lighting and shade if not more.  There will be nothing for any kind of high-end gear.  We are Harman's largest dealer on the west coast but that comes from selling hundreds of Crown amplifiers for whole house audio distribution and zero for selling Mark Levinson.

The above is where the money is dear Ammar.  If you have figured out how to make money selling high-end gear, by all means, set up shop and come and tell us how you have managed to do that.  Madrona Digital's business is not that.  We are an engineering company specializing in solving tough problems in custom residential and commercial projects.  Evidence of that is all over the company's web site.

Amir

Reply #146
Careful now, Arny. If you mention his name three times he'll appear just like in the movie Candyman.

Five times...
Three times was Beetlejuice.

Reply #147
He claims to have a laptop at home where he analyses files.

You don't think I have one Ammar?

Mentioned something about a real time spectrum analyzer once, but I don't recall the details.

Happy to provide you detail.  Here is my setup for the comprehensive measurement of digital audio in AVRs and Processors:

There are not one but two audio analyzers in that picture.  One is almost hidden behind the laptop and it is an Audio Precision analyzer which when I bought it originally, it cost about $25,000.  There is another one behind and to the right of the laptop and it is from Prism Sound and retails about $9,000.  So those two combined are about $34,000 in "real time analyzers."  You get pretty measurements like this out of them:

Showing distortion sidebands you don't know are there (this is from a $400 DAC).

This is my other workstation where I measured Performance of Speaker Wires!: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.p...is-not-12-Gauge!

Visible there are my Agilent Scope and Spectrum analyzer.  Next to it is my Rigol signal generator.  I post measurements of amplifiers clipping like this hideous class D AVR:

You also see a bunch of multi-meters but a couple of them are special in the way they can measure very small resistance (useful of course for short segments of speaker wire).

I don't have a picture to show you but I am now a proud owner of a Tektronix mixed-domain scope and 3 Ghz spectrum analyzer:

Its spectrum analyzer does not have enough dynamic range for audio but will be wonderful to measure many other things.

Trust this is sufficient "detail" to get us past this argument.
Amir

Reply #148
The above is where the money is dear Ammar.

Jeez Amir, all I said was you have no home stereo and you respond with that irrelevant epic...

He claims to have a laptop at home where he analyses files.

You don't think I have one Ammar?

Mentioned something about a real time spectrum analyzer once, but I don't recall the details.

Happy to provide you detail.  Here is my setup for the comprehensive measurement of digital audio in AVRs and Processors:

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #149
Amir, I have never ever doubted you having spectral analysis capability on your home laptops.

Then you need to look up the meaning of the word "claim" in the dictionary because you said this: "He claims to have a laptop at home where he analyses files."

I was just curious about the specific program used concurrently when running those "Hi Re$" ABX test files is all. Thanks for those details shown anyway.

You could have asked.  Answer is that I don't use any program while running ABX files.  I drag the files into foobar playlist and select them to perform the ABX.  That is it.

If I need to perform software analysis, I use Adobe Audition CC.

Now of course, that brings us no closer to how you did your ML 53 vs .....amp distortion audibility comparisons.

It did not but maybe you learned not to shoot from the hip without having any data .

We certainly know how you did DAC comparisons

There is a lot more recent objective work I have done in that area.  I have shown you some of that before.  Here is more.

Take a look at this measurement:

[/quote]
Oh you did ask by implying that my company is in the business of selling high-end gear and that biases my views.  Had to set the record straight there. 

Amir