Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback  (Read 326159 times) previous topic - next topic

Audibility of "typical" Digital Filters in a Hi-Fi Playback

Reply #400
Them are fighting words for some here! 

So you agree that ABX logs can be fudged, that there can be false positives due to a large number of variables etc.
Great, we're finally getting somewhere.

For any claim?  How about giving me a link to one that has passed all of those here so that I get calibrated.

How about you look at one of those low bitrate multiformat listening tests coordinated in this forum? (They are not perfect, and I'm not claiming they are, but they are pretty solid for a community effort.)

Well, do we get to say Meyer and Moran's test reports are not reliable?  Or do we take it on faith that it is because it had negative outcome?  Again, I am trying to get calibrated.

No, I take the results for what they are and don't make fallacious leaps in logic that you seem to love to do.
You don't need to get calibrated, you need to take a basic course on logic, science and statistics.

Let's say you don't trust the person.  What then?  He has to get a live witness?  Why on earth would he want to go through all that trouble to convince you?  What is in there for him to have an anonymous poster be satisfied in this regard?

As I said, take a basic 101 course. First of all, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. It's not about a single anonymous poster but every rational, skeptical person that is not a gullible fool.
We are interested in truth, so if that person is also interested in that he/she will try to present as much evidence as necessary and as much information necessary for others to reproduce the result or even convince them directly.

And why do you post under an alias?  Shouldn't I be able to examine your history and who you are in judging your opinions and any test results you put forward?  You have mine.  How come you are afraid of transparency on your part?

Who says you are not, additionally to "amirm", posting with another alias? Not that I would care... especially not about your history.
You complained so much about personal remarks, but now you're suddenly interested in me personally? A bit hypocritical..

What matters are the claims you make and evidence you present, regardless if you're John Doe or the president. I don't know you. You don't know me. I don't personally care about you more than about any other human being I don't know. (Btw, you can read all my posts in this forum, download my DSP plugins ...)

Your skepticism is due to lack of experience and knowledge.  You can't turn that around and put the work on me to prove you wrong.  We have peer reviewed tests in the form of Stuart's tests.  We also have peer reviewed tests in the form of Meyer and Moran.  In neither case will I remotely go to the place you are, questioning the integrity of people.

Run these tests yourself.  See if you can pass them. There are people on AVS Forum who shocked themselves after following me lead and carefully listening, found differences reliably.  Until you demonstrate that you have done that, your suspicions are not an issue I worry about.

You're talking absolute rubbish. Skepticism is probably the best method to navigate in a world full of woo and nonsense.
Again, take a basic course. Also look up fallacies, like shifting the burden of proof, proving a negative..

I'm not questioning integrity, I'm questioning the tests and test results.
Some of the files of the tests you mention have been shown to have flaws. You keep sweeping that fact under the rug, so you don't have to admit your false positive / botched logs and invalidate entire "tests".

Oh I would.  If they cheated I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them in anything.  I have little patience for people with lack of integrity.

So you assert and blindly accept that every posted log and tests result and study is genuine and does not contain false positives? That would be gullibility par excellence.
Do you believe in aliens flying around in UFOs visiting earth also? They are videos and first person accounts of people who genuinely believe that they were abducted. Be consistent please...

Of course.  You missed the most important one: training.  Are you really not aware of the concept of trained/expert listeners?  You think anyone who does better has better hearing?  How come with the same hearing ability I went from not hearing compression artifacts to outperforming all but one person in my entire career at Microsoft?

I include that in hearing, because training doesn't magically repair your treble roll-off. We're not talking about some burst of noise being inserted by a lossy codec that you can more reliably detect with some training, but filters operating at 21+ kHz.

The other major thing you missed is knowledge of the technology in question.  I know what to listen for.  When I took David's test I quickly zoomed in on the right note and the game was over. If you don't know that, you be lost in the woods when it comes to dynamic distortion.    The difference may be there and audible to that person but if you don't know where it is in a 3 minute song, good luck finding it by randomly clicking here and there.  There is a science to what is relevaing and what is not.

I don't care about "David's test", stop evading. Tell us finally what you hear when there's a filter operating at 21+ kHz with your super-trained and super-rolled-off hearing.

"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #401
The excitable pro hi-rez parties ...

Don't know those people are here.  If you mean me I am in the "don't dumb it down" party.  I want the bits prior to conversion to 16/44.1.  Have no need for that conversion.  My equipment plays the upstream bits just fine.  I suspect yours does too.  This doesn't sit well with you why?
Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #402
Let me give you a real life example.

No thanks, enough off-topic and self-praise.

By the same token, unless you can demonstrate to me that you are an expert in this area, your incredulity I am afraid has no weight or importance to me.

So another fallacy, ad hominem this time.
Have you never heard "arguments stand or fall on their own merits"? Now if you want to run.. I'm not stopping you.

The above is one of the most important lessons here.  We have proven beyond any doubt that the above skills exist and you cannot take your listening results as a measure of whether someone else can or cannot hear small distortions.  This is why I don't care what Meyer and Moran found.  They did not have critical listeners so their results don't apply to me.

I will stop here and encourage you to go and take these tests.  Try hard to pass them.  You might, just might be able to do that.  If so, you will learn something valuable.

No, you have not shown that any of what you wrote applies to filters operating at 21+ kHz. You make this ridiculously ambiguous claim that you can hear some difference by posting logs.

Please:
Show me one of "those tests" that has properly processed files, but you still hear a difference between them.
Then tell me what difference you hear, and where if applicable, and with what equipment and settings (player, DirectSound playback format if that is your API of choice, ...).
If this checks out then I will take a closer look (I did take a look at some of the files mentioned in the train wreck thread before - they were faulty) and ABX them.

This is what people usually do in this forum, by themselves, because they're interested in the truth. Are you?

Reply #403
First of all, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

And you are claiming I cheated yet you want me to do the work.  What happened to that burden?
Amir

Reply #404
How about you look at one of those low bitrate multiformat listening tests coordinated in this forum? (They are not perfect, and I'm not claiming they are, but they are pretty solid for a community effort.)

Not interested in doing more work that will get dismissed.  Should have thought of that before insinuating that any data that I put forward could be a cheat.  Remember what I said about people reading these things?

For now, I answered the same for your proxy Steven (Krab) on AVS Forum who claimed I couldn't pass 320 kbps MP3 against the original.  So I just took the clips in play and ran that test too:

=============
foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/19 19:45:33

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44.wav
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44_01.mp3

19:45:33 : Test started.
19:46:21 : 01/01  50.0%
19:46:35 : 02/02  25.0%
19:46:49 : 02/03  50.0%
19:47:03 : 03/04  31.3%
19:47:13 : 04/05  18.8%
19:47:27 : 05/06  10.9%
19:47:38 : 06/07  6.3%
19:47:46 : 07/08  3.5%
19:48:01 : 08/09  2.0%
19:48:19 : 09/10  1.1%
19:48:31 : 10/11  0.6%
19:48:45 : 11/12  0.3%
19:48:58 : 12/13  0.2%
19:49:11 : 13/14  0.1%
19:49:28 : 14/15  0.0%
19:49:52 : 15/16  0.0%
19:49:56 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 15/16 (0.0%)

===============

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/31 15:18:41

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.mp3
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.wav

15:18:41 : Test started.
15:19:18 : 01/01  50.0%
15:19:30 : 01/02  75.0%
15:19:44 : 01/03  87.5%
15:20:35 : 02/04  68.8%
15:20:46 : 02/05  81.3%
15:21:39 : 03/06  65.6%  <--- Difference found
15:21:47 : 04/07  50.0%
15:21:54 : 04/08  63.7%  <--- Dog barked!
15:22:06 : 05/09  50.0%
15:22:19 : 06/10  37.7%
15:22:31 : 07/11  27.4%
15:22:44 : 08/12  19.4%
15:22:51 : 09/13  13.3%
15:22:58 : 10/14  9.0%
15:23:06 : 11/15  5.9%
15:23:14 : 12/16  3.8%
15:23:23 : 13/17  2.5%
15:23:33 : 14/18  1.5%
15:23:42 : 15/19  1.0%
15:23:54 : 16/20  0.6%
15:24:06 : 17/21  0.4%
15:24:15 : 18/22  0.2%
15:24:23 : 19/23  0.1%
15:24:34 : 20/24  0.1%
15:24:43 : 21/25  0.0%
15:24:52 : 22/26  0.0%
15:24:57 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 22/26 (0.0%)

==============

Let's see you run these same tests.  Don't worry, I won't question your integrity by doubting  your foobar abx logs.

Amir

Reply #405
without comment
Code: [Select]
foo_abx 2.0 beta 4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.4
2014-11-17 19:56:45

File A: limehouse_maximum_phase_100.wav
SHA1: 722dc26db8d4ce666dc03875b2c8d4570d22b521
File B: limehouse_reference.wav
SHA1: e8ad96830d23cad4bba5bf822ce875ae452b9e7c

Output:
DS : Primärer Soundtreiber

19:56:45 : Test started.
19:57:01 : 00/01
19:57:08 : 00/02
19:57:16 : 00/03
19:57:24 : 00/04
19:57:33 : 00/05
19:57:41 : 00/06
19:58:02 : 00/07
19:58:13 : 00/08
19:58:21 : 00/09
19:58:28 : 00/10
19:58:37 : 00/11
19:58:43 : 00/12
19:58:49 : 00/13
19:58:56 : 00/14
19:59:06 : 00/15
19:59:14 : 00/16
19:59:21 : 00/17
19:59:29 : 01/18
19:59:36 : 02/19
19:59:43 : 03/20
19:59:55 : 04/21
20:00:01 : 05/22
20:00:09 : 06/23
20:00:16 : 07/24
20:00:26 : 08/25
20:00:31 : 09/26
20:00:36 : 10/27
20:00:42 : 11/28
20:00:52 : 12/29
20:00:58 : 13/30
20:01:03 : 14/31
20:01:10 : 15/32
20:01:20 : 16/33
20:01:26 : 17/34
20:01:26 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 17/34
Probability that you were guessing: 56.8%

-- signature --
a146fd5e354e1a7f5df78bae353e11a3356bf601
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #406
The paper describes people with better hearing and I guess better hardware (we will never know what system you use to ABX since you don't answer the question posted pages back) and I see this as a separate thing vs. your claims.

Not it doesn't.  The listeners were not expert/trained listeners.  They received training for the test.  That is a different animal than someone who has spent years becoming an expert listener.  And further, has the technology experience to know what to listen for as I just explained.

Wow, so now audio engineers who work with audio daily - according to you - are not trained listeners? And yes, they additionally could prepare for each specific test! Audio engineers also have no "technology experience", right. What the actual f?
It seems that all you're interested in at this point is contradicting me, posting even more rubbish than usually.

Here is another example, this time from the work of current president of AES, Dr. Sean Olive.

I've run this application years ago when it first was released to the public. Still no explanation from your side what this has to do with filters operating at 21+ kHz... Still waiting...

The only thing rubbish is this uninformed opinion. Null hypothesis?  Are you kidding me?  Meyer and Moran violated just about every rule for properly conducting a listening test.  I am asking you are not pointing those things out if you have genuine intentions.

I can only double facepalm so hard. #255
From your posts everyone can see that you think that M&M disproved hi-res sound. If you had taken the basic science course I asked you to take, you'd see how absolutely ridiculous that sounds.

You are showing extreme angst and frustration over these findings, both mine and that of stuart.  You are being accusatory and emotional.  And resentful.  These are characteristics I see in my stereotype of the people you talk about.  In contrast, I don't see that in David. Yes he is disagreeing with me but he is demonstrating calm, knowledge and measured interactions.  So please don't put this at my feet.  Think before you let your emotions write the words if you want to see a different impression of you.  And remember, you are posting under an alias.  So you can't have any expectation of me knowing who you are.

BTW, I would be perfectly fine with you stopping this interaction.  I still owe you that technical answer but otherwise, I am getting tired of dealing with another person's emotional outbursts.

Angst and frustration regarding the papers findings? What the..? Projecting much?
There is frustration ... with your rubbish posts which everyone can see. And again, what's with all the ad hominem?
You even admit to stereotyping me!

Btw, I'm completely calm, but still surprised at how you interact and what you post. I mean you're not the average audiophile Joe, well, you shouldn't be.

Anyway, if you finally answer the questions further above I would be highly interested in preparing a 21+ kHz filter test for you where you cannot, let's say, produce false positives as easily.  Are you up to putting your money where your mouth is?

Reply #407
The excitable pro hi-rez parties ...

Don't know those people are here.  If you mean me I am in the "don't dumb it down" party.  I want the bits prior to conversion to 16/44.1.  Have no need for that conversion.  My equipment plays the upstream bits just fine.  I suspect yours does too.  This doesn't sit well with you why?

oh, so you *aren't* the one claiming that the recent fabulous outbreak of positive HR/Redbook ABX results heralds a new age of discourse in the hobby, that your AVSF trainwreck results were 'conclusive' proof  of something, that Meyer & Moran 2007 was previously held to be flawless proof of a negative,  and has now been rendered null and void? All the while houndogging Arny at every conceivable turn? You aren't the guy with quite a 'rep' for self-congratulation and condescension and fancy footwork on certain forums, touting the dangers of jitter, of Redbook, of monoprice cables?  That wasn't you?  Oh dear, what a mistake I've  made.  All apologies.

If your new line to the audio faithful is "you'll probably never hear the differences between the bits prior to 16/44 conversion, and the bits after 16/44 conversion, in your normal listening.  They're quite minor differences at best; I  myself had to train for years to become a dancing ninja master of millisecond artifact detection to ace those ABX tests. The differences *you* plebes are hearing, then, when you listen at home in your comfy chairs to 'hi rez' and Redbook versions released commercially, are really due to different mastering, not the formats.  Like, duh.  We in the 'biz'  all know that, and have known for years.  So let's all push for proper mastering, whether it's of Redbook, hi rez, mastered for iTunes , or whatever" -- if THAT is your new line, well then  I'd say you've calmed down considerably.

You could even add '"Oh, and if you're veryworried that your DAC , which upsamples everything, is doing a terrible job of it, then by all means go for the 'upstream bits' version, if it makes you sleep better at night. It's probably overkill though" and I'd still grant that you that mantle of calm.

Will that your new line, so we can be brothers in objectivity?

Reply #408
First of all, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

And you are claiming I cheated yet you want me to do the work.  What happened to that burden?

No, after I read your posts (especially #347) I said that I believe that it is more probable that you cheated and I also explained that this could include you genuinely believing to hearing differences that are actually flaws in the test.

All you have done so far is evade the only questions I asked (which I'm far more interested in than this incredibly painful back and forth), which as you can imagine does the opposite of convincing me.

Reply #409
Wow, so now audio engineers who work with audio daily - according to you - are not trained listeners?

Of course not.  In a hardware company like Meridian, audio engineers design audio equipment.  They have nothing to do with critical listening.

From the summary section of Stuart paper:

Differences were demonstrated here in a double-blind test using non-expert listeners who received minimal training.

An electrical engineer designing circuits, a PCB layout person, an FPGA programmer/designer, etc. are all "audio engineers" but nothing in their training or work gives them expertise in listening test.

It is a lay assumption that an "audio engineer" is an expert listener.  They are not as I explained to Arny earlier. 

Please don't keep posting this stuff.  Good grief...
Amir

Reply #410

Not interested in doing more work that will get dismissed. Should have thought of that before insinuating that any data that I put forward could be a cheat.  Remember what I said about people reading these things?

What? What's wrong amirm?
I didn't ask you to retroactively participate in these tests that have been long closed .. You asked what to look for and I pointed you to look at these tests.

Now, except if you had anomalous hearing, you could repeat all of these tests (I'm not asking you to!) with results that would fit in the results of the many participants of those tests. That's what you asked for, right? Reproducible, reliable ... evidence.

For now, I answered the same for your proxy Steven (Krab) on AVS Forum who claimed I couldn't pass 320 kbps MP3 against the original.  So I just took the clips in play and ran that test too:

Not interested in mp3 ABX logs here, sorry. But shoot me a PM with links to the files if you are so interested in me trying to ABX them (for whatever reason?).

Reply #411
Of course not.  In a hardware company like Meridian, audio engineers design audio equipment.  They have nothing to do with critical listening.

From the summary section of Stuart paper:

Differences were demonstrated here in a double-blind test using non-expert listeners who received minimal training.

An electrical engineer designing circuits, a PCB layout person, an FPGA programmer/designer, etc. are all "audio engineers" but nothing in their training or work gives them expertise in listening test.

It is a lay assumption that an "audio engineer" is an expert listener.  They are not as I explained to Arny earlier. 

Good grief indeed.

First of all you conveniently skipped this:
And yes, they additionally could prepare for each specific test! Audio engineers also have no "technology experience", right. What the actual f?
It seems that all you're interested in at this point is contradicting me, posting even more rubbish than usually.

So yeah, you just confirmed that last part.

Secondly, audio engineers usually deal with recording, manipulation, mixing and reproduction. Where does it say that the listeners were "only" audio equipment designers?
Also, another fallacy, I never said that they are expert listeners on the issue at hand.
And of course engineers that design high end audio components would not know anything about how e.g. tuning algorithms in their DSP components would lead to tiny audible improvements, which requires listening? No one working at such a company would be interested in critical listening, right? They must have used the "audio engineer interns", some of which were 65 years old, right?!

C'mon amirm, aren't you above such nonsense?

Reply #412
The key phrase that one finds in Amir's first post to that thread is:
"I did not level match anything. However, once I found one source was worse than the other, I would then turn up the volume to counter any effect there. Indeed, doing so would close the gap some but it never changed the outcome. Note that the elevated level clearly made that source sound louder than the other. So the advantage was put on the losing side."

Maybe he's so highly trained and skilled as a listener (his claim), he doesn't need to level match either. Or maybe that bizarre statement throws into grave doubt what he claimed to have learned at Microsoft about controlled listening tests?
Either way, I can see why anyone who read that thread and saw the "results" of that, ummm, "test", might have a wee bit of skepticism at these latest completely unsupervised results of Windows files testing on a Windows pc.
Not to mention that he either still doesn't know, or care, what a Red Herring is, despite being told at least 5yrs ago. Thus includes in nearly every post.
Maybe both Meyer and Moran could send him some nice smoked Red Herring for Christmas. 

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #413
I understand what he is posting, but half of the time I don't understand why he even would post the things he does.
Is that a red herring? Must be. AJ, help!!!  (<- no, I'm not serious)

Reply #414
... Now, is the alternative of using sighted tests better?  Not at all.  The magnitude of differences is so small that placebo effect easily dwarfs it.  So we are stuck between two non-ideal methods to get to the "truth."  This is why I like mathematical analysis such as what Stuart does so beautifully.  Or measurements.  We take out the untrustworthy listener out of the picture and get truly objective data.

We then come up against those who will not accept that measurements can be more sensitive than our ears. "There are differences that we can hear but that cannot be measured." "You're not measuring the right things." And so on.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #415
Your skepticism is due to lack of experience and knowledge.  You can't turn that around and put the work on me to prove you wrong.  We have peer reviewed tests in the form of Stuart's tests.  We also have peer reviewed tests in the form of Meyer and Moran.

By AES.
Amir, if your online self administered Windows ABX tests showed here on numerous occasions to be flawed/gameable, are evidence for 16/44 audibility somewhat on par with the BS test results, when will we expect you to submit them as a paper to the AES?
Certainly you could use another award like they gave the BS paper and as an AES member, submit your setup, methods, listener training, results, etc. as a paper for peer review?

I know what to listen for.

Amir, wouldn't someone like JJ also know what to listen for?
Why does he settle for CD and reject the Hi-Rez scam products? Are you claiming to have better hear....excuse me, "listening" ability than your teacher?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #416
I want the bits prior to conversion to 16/44.1.

Why?
An award winning luminary of the industry had this to say:

Transparent processing. What more do you want?
Or don't you believe him?

cheers,

AJ

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #417
You know,  AJ has posted that Meridian blurb strongly endorsing TPDF dither (as AES gods Lipshitz and Vanderkooy first did long before Meridian) at least a half dozen times now....admittedly only about half as often as you post your fabulous ABX results, but still, you can't have missed it --  and he's requested your thoughts on it every time,  re: the disjunction between it and what was reported in Meridian's convention paper.  Do you plan to ever engage?

Let me tell you a story first .

I am working for Sony and our boss Dr. Doi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshitada_Doi) is replaced by another executive.  We get summoned to Tokyo and through back channel hear that the new guy is a pain in the you know what and is going to scream our heads off.  We are talking about board member of Sony here.  We go to the meeting and he shows up together a few other people. Immediately he starts to pound on us like you would never see in a corporate world.  Very rude and obnoxious and angry.  Japanese executives don't ever act this way but he thought he should act "western" to show us he knew our ways.  After a few minutes he finishes and everyone looks at my boss and I expecting some explanation.  Without looking at each other, both of us instinctively returned the favor by acting Japanese: saying absolutely nothing.  A minute goes by.  You could cut the tension with a knife.  I mean who would dare not answer a Japanese senior executive?  But we sat there.  Another minute goes by and still silence.  By then the low-level Japanese who usually say nothing start to get nervous and we are still holding our silence.  What happened next was remarkable: the new Japanese executive in very clam and friendly tone said, "of course we know you are doing excellent work.  Just work with our finance department to forecast your expenses better."  And the meeting ended right then and then!

You should have seen the reaction from our counterparts when the exec left.  They could not believe the outcome.  Of course we were quite relieved and happy and were thankful that our years of working Japanese had paid off in turning the tables on them as the exec was trying to do with us.

Why am I telling you this?  No particular reason.  OK, I kid .  I know how to respond to AJ.  When it is your turn to deal with him, you can answer him the way you want.  I have already answered his question in this thread but he keeps asking about it.  It is who he is.  When you learn that as well as I, you will understand.

Now, if you also missed the answer and are unwilling to look back for it, ask it in your own language and I will explain.  Don't look for it as a response to AJ.  I need him to stew just like the rude Japanese exec.
Amir

Reply #418
Why am I telling you this?  No particular reason.

Like your constant references to what M&M did when the argument is the BS Paper results, or asking people about them taking tests (since at least '09) when discussing your particular test results, or.....haha, just kidding. 

I know how to respond to AJ.

Great, Would you mind addressing the lack of any transparency data for the BS test system, the speakers, the switching software (especially given the recent online test fiascos with switching artifacts yielding false positives), why Meridian continues to make claims about 16/44 transparency, why no 16/44 TPDF version of the BS test track exists, when you will submit your ABX logs to AES, etc, etc?
Btw, you do realize you are sitting on a gold mine of valid data with those unsupervised online ABX results, yes? Submitted as an AES paper, along with the BS awards paper, would be a double whammy for all those skeptical deaf folks who settle for inferior 16/44 due to their inferior trained "listening" skills. Like JJ.

It is who he is.

I do like turntables. Even though I own no records.

Have a good night amir, you know I always have fun conversing with you. 

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #419

Good grief indeed.

I can't recall seeing the term 'audio engineer' mean quite what Amir says....but, hey, 'what happens in private industry, stays in private industry', right? and  I'm just a layman.  I would suggest, though, as someone who has some scientific paper writing experience, that maybe Meridian should have anticipated this and been more explicit if they meant 'electrical engineers who design and build audio hardware and software but had no substantial experience whatsoever in discriminating subtle audio differences prior to this experiment'

Reply #420
...but had no substantial experience whatsoever in discriminating subtle audio differences prior to this experiment'

That is what "non-expert listeners who received minimal training." means in the industry/research community.
Amir

Reply #421

No....I think not. 

Rather, let me put you back on ignore here, too.  I'll go back to enjoying the show.  The choice bits of your clown show that others quote , will suffice to tell me whether you are trying to divert the thread.

Reply #422

No....I think not. 

Too late! 

Rather, let me put you back on ignore here, too.  I'll go back to enjoying the show.  The choice bits of your clown show that others quote , will suffice to tell me whether you are trying to divert the thread.

You take care Steven.  Sorry to have caused you stress on two forums.
Amir

Reply #423
So, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, could you please finally answer these simple questions amirm?

The main points:
- audibility of filters operating at 21+ kHz with your hearing (please don't give me that training shtick, tell us what you hear, how you detect these filters etc.)
- what system you are using (I've read something about a laptop and headphones, which? what was your DirectSound configuration in Windows, etc.? Include whatever details you think could even remotely cause false positives.)

Also:
Show me one of "those tests" that has properly processed files, but you still hear a difference between them.
Then tell me what difference you hear, and where if applicable, and with what equipment and settings (player, DirectSound playback format if that is your API of choice, ...).
If this checks out then I will take a closer look (I did take a look at some of the files mentioned in the train wreck thread before - they were faulty) and ABX them.

This is what people usually do in this forum, by themselves, because they're interested in the truth. Are you?

And:
Anyway, if you finally answer the questions further above I would be highly interested in preparing a 21+ kHz filter test for you where you cannot, let's say, produce false positives as easily.  Are you up to putting your money where your mouth is?

Reply #424
Wow, so now audio engineers who work with audio daily - according to you - are not trained listeners?

The rather obvious issue here is that not all audio engineers do the same work, receive the same training, etc.

For example a person with no formal training at all ever can spend a bit of time behind a mixing console and call himself an audio engineer, especially if those hours net a top 40 hit.

So can a power switching circuit designer who designs a switch mode power amp. So can a guy who operates a diffusion oven for a chip factory that makes audio chips.

My friend Clark has made a nice life for himself and his family, a lot of which involved critically listening to audio systems and teaching "Audio Engineers" how to critically listen to audio systems.

I've been long lamenting over the fact that engineering degrees, even degrees with audio pretensions are granted to people with zero training in psychoacoustics.

The poster boys for this can be seen all over the audio profession - even people who make strong pretenses about their strong pyschoacoustics background who write dozens of AES and IEEE papers, none of which are backed up by even jus tone proper psychoacosutical test. I'd make up a list by looking at an index of papers in the JAES but Amir would burst a blood vessel! ;-)