Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sansa Clip Zip (Read 21823 times) previous topic - next topic

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #25
...I thought that MP3 would be the most CPU efficient but after seeing this page, it looks like FLAC is the way to go. ...

In terms of best battery life your best options are
- FLAC if you can afford the data space and real lossless is important to you
- FLAC preprocessed by lossyWAV if you want to save data space compared to plain FLAC
- Musepack if you want to keep bitrate in the 150-300 kbps range.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #26
i'm well aware that sansa players like the clip+/zip/fuze will even take a 64GB microSDXC card*.

scratch that. sandisk have now released a 128GB card. i don't see any reason why rockbox won't be able to support them?? i'm sure there will be confirmation from guinea pigs in the coming weeks.

as for the sport, it really is best avoided. as mentioned already, the hardware is completely different to previous sansa players meaning a rockbox port is highly unlikely to happen.

apparently, the original firmware is bit of a stinker too. rather than using tags to sort by tracknumber, it goes by title alphabetically. so if you want to listen to an album, the "solution" is tag the title with the tracknumber. 

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #27
as for the sport, it really is best avoided. as mentioned already, the hardware is completely different to previous sansa players meaning a rockbox port is highly unlikely to happen.

I really wonder what it is with Sandisk's developers that makes them come up with crappier and crappier firmware versions as their DAP range "evolves" (Sansa Fuze 2 and now Sport).

Oh wait, if memory serves me well, Creative Labs' folk also do exactly that!

So much for whining about Apple's ever-growing market share!
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #28
From the labels on the board it looks like Sandisk contracted out the Sport design. Probably the company behind it already had experience with the odd soc they chose. Too bad I was hoping it would be based on the fuze+ design but with regular buttons.

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #29
@halb27: I was thinking of lossyFLAC indeed, but what about what JJZolx said?

The larger battery load, from what I understand, comes from accessing files on media and moving the data into memory, so smaller files tend to give better battery life.

Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #30
@halb27: I was thinking of lossyFLAC indeed, but what about what JJZolx said?

The larger battery load, from what I understand, comes from accessing files on media and moving the data into memory, so smaller files tend to give better battery life.

That's why lossyFLAC is a good choice compared to plain FLAC. I used it and was very happy with battery life. I'd still use it if data space on my smartphone would be sufficient. As I do want to use only one codec with my Clip+ and my smartphone I decided to use musepack which is also an excellent solution with respect to audio quality and battery life.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Sansa Clip Zip

Reply #31
Well, I have a Rockbox'd Clip Zip with a 64GB uSDXC card. I use folder-based browsing exclusively. I have a problem that it sometimes takes ridiculously long (over 5 seconds) to start playing the first song in a folder (not necessarily track #1). The disk icon is lit all that time so it seems it's related to disk I/O. I use mostly MPC around 200-250kbits but it affects MP3s equally. It does not happen always and it seems somehow related to whether I have ever played the song/album or not.

Overall, I'm very satisfied but am I the only one experiencing this odd pause?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FQlZZ1VtI