Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plugin Pack for Foobar2000 (Read 10853 times) previous topic - next topic

Plugin Pack for Foobar2000

Hi!
I would like to know what do you think about Plugin Pack for Fb2k?
It would be something like K-Lite codec pack. I have made one, it has installer compiled in NSIS2.All plugins are groupped in 6 groups:

1.Compilers libraries: Intel, Microsoft NET

2.Diskwriter output: CLI Encoder, FLAC Encoder, Musepack Encoder, Speed  Meter, Vorbis Encoder

3.DSP: Crossfader, Crossfeed, Extra Stereo, Gap Killer, Kode's Surround, Pause Between Tracks, Reverb, Simple Bass, Simple Surround, Sound Touch DSP

4.General: Add All, Audio CD Writter (will be removed because it's included in 0.666), By The Numbers, Database Search, History, Id3v2 Tag Support, Lyrics Viewer, Meta Search, Mini Bar, Mirc, Playlist find, Recycler, Remote Control, Repeat Selections, Text Writer, Title Bar Display, UFTS, WS GUI

5.Input: Brr, FLAC, Gym, Lossless Audio, Lunar2 PCM, Module Decoder, MPEG4 (by Case), NEZPlug, OptimFrog, PSF, Shorten, Speex, WMA, XA ADPCM

6.Output: Asio, OpenAL

Every plugin has its own description
for example:
BRR
Version: 0.3
Compiled: 2003.05.17
Author: Chris Moeller (kode54)

All plugins are unicode only. In near future, when i'll find some more time, I'm planning to add some short descriptions to the plugins what they do .
I'm also planning to add alternative compilations compiled in Intel Compiler, when they will be updated by Case. Of course this pack will be frequently updated (once a week, maybe more often)

Unfortenetely I don't have a web space where I could upload this pack... (I'm still on 56k modem).

Reply #1
I think, its the nice idea 
Digital Individual Assembled for Battle and Logical Observation

Reply #2
I think, its the nice idea

...if someone will update it every day new plugin comes 
who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep

Reply #3
I would like to know what do you think about Plugin Pack for Fb2k?

All plugins are unicode only.

I think a centralized location for Foobar components is a good idea, but releasing only the Unicode version only is a bad idea (and potentially illegal and definitely immoral, depending on the wishes of the component authors). 

Also, I would expect that you would get permission from each of the component authors before including their components in your pack...

Reply #5
I can't really say that I think this is a good idea.  Who's going to update that pack every time a new plugin comes out?  I sometimes put out three or four updates of the same plugin within a single day.

It's a nice idea in theory, but whoever downloads the pack would need/want to check each plugin to make sure they've got the latest version.  Seems to defeat the purpose.

Reply #6
McLone wrote: ...if someone will update it every day new plugin comes

Well, not all plugins are released every day... And not all are very important updates. For the moment it would be updated once a week because I'm still using 56k modem, so uploading plugin package every day may make me a bankrupt...

Aero wrote: releasing only the Unicode version only is a bad idea (and potentially illegal and definitely immoral, depending on the wishes of the component authors).

Hmm, more that 90% readers of this forum use Windows 2000 or XP,
and more and more of Windows 98 users will in near future use XP...
ANSI versions of plugins in package will also bump a size of it.
Maybe I would add ANSI versions in future

Also, I would expect that you would get permission from each of the component authors before including their components in your pack...

Yes, you're right. I forgot about that.
But every author of the plugin is mentioned in its description.

Reply #7
...if someone will update it every day new plugin comes 

I can do it
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']01100110 01101111 01101111 01100010 01100001 01110010 00110010 00110000 00110000 00110000[/span]

Reply #8
Well, IMHO I think it's better to download Case's NSIS Installer of foobar2000 - it includes most used plugins and I think it isn't necessary to create big download bulk of bunch of plugins - you usually need only pair of them (so it's waste of bandwidth)

Reply #9
i actually prefer having a central site with individual plugins available for download.
i use litestep as my standard windows shell, so i'm very familair with the process of hunting for specific plugins
_
psy.

Reply #10
Hey, fine by me.  I like central sites to download individual plugins from (such as http://fb2k-plugins.hydrogenaudio.org/) but it is a pain to update every single plugin if you haven't done so for awhile and they've all been updated since you last checked.  Plus it doesn't list every plugin made (though that's probably the fault of the plugin authors, myself included  ), so you still need to check the forum here to make sure you don't miss something as it currently stands....

Reply #11
Googer, that same problem would exist with a plugin pack.  Not every plugin will be in there, and in fact, they are less likely to be up to date than the ones found on the plugins site.

Reply #12
True about the even-less-likely-to-be-current issue but that could be handled if we set something up to automagically generate nightly snapshots.  The other issue about not getting all plugins wasn't something that I meant would be better than a central plugin site; I was more just pointing out the reality that the central plugin site isn't listing all plugins at the moment.

Reply #13
Well, you need to go bitch at some plugin authors and tell them to report their plugins to JanS. 

Reply #14
There is another way of addressing this plugins issue, which avoids having to constantly update or download a precompiled "pack" each time something is released. There's a program called Miranda IM which is a GPL'ed chat client plus a stack more - it's got dozens upon dozens of plugins available for it which take it far out of the realms of just another ICQ clone, similar to what is happening with f2k and its evolution beyond just a music player. Miranda has a plugin called Wassup which links to the home page and can bring up a very nice-looking listing of all available plugins and their version numbers, giving the user the ability to tag one or several updated components and either just download them or else install them - shutting down and auto-restarting Miranda.

The implementation of Wassup is very slick - it'd take a fair bit of rejigging fb2k-plugins.ha.org but were this method of plugin updating available for f2k there'd be no more trawling and squinting through the plugins homepages or countless forum messages looking for the next point release of your favourite plugin(s).

Reply #15
@Dhry
I also think a Wassup plugin for f2k woulb be great an the only chance to make installing new components as easy as possible.

In Miranda's wassup there's only one thing which should be done better, the description of the plugin what exact it is doing an a search engine for features (search for a plugin to rename par example).

Regards
TKS

Reply #16
Have you ever used a program called CSMC Map Installer?
It's a map installing program for Counter-Strike, and what it does is it uses an installshield interface to connect to it's servers and list out all the maps it has

Something like this could be very useful for fb2k, say you fire up the program and it lists out the category of the plugins (Gen, DSP, etc) and when you enter a section it lists out the proper plugins along with their last modified date?

If you could get something like that working with http://fb2k-plugins.hydrogenaudio.org/, it would be a dream come true