Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HDCD Foobar2000 (Read 2133 times) previous topic - next topic

HDCD Foobar2000

Hello, which are the correct settings Foobar2000 has to have to play HDCD files?, It already has installed the plugin for HDCD, and I’m using Wasapi with my audio card in the output.

And which are the correct Halve ouput volume?.

There is anything else that I have to do?.

thanks

Re: HDCD Foobar2000

Reply #1
Hi, I just want to know which is the correct way to listen HDCD files(in FLAC) in Foobar2000.

Foobar2000 already has the HDCD plugin, I’m using Wasapi(event) in the output and ReplayGain is off.

There’s another way besides that to play them correctly?.

Which is the correct Halve ouput volume for HDCD?.

thanks.

Reply #2
The thing is, several "HDCDs" use none of the HDCD features - still they identify as "HDCD". Halve volume is used to accommodate the peak extension (which will boost volume on the peaks, and halving it first prevents from clipping). If the disc has no peak extension, it is not necessary.
Halve volume on HDCD is consistent with what a HDCD-aware DAC would do.
Halve volume only if PE present, is consistent with what the engineers would likely have intended if they didn't know that the device inserts HDCD packages even when no HDCD features are used.

But say, what if you have a compilation where one track has HDCD and peak extension, and other tracks have no HDCD at all?
Likely you are looking for the solution that you find least annoying.

Reply #3
Well now I'm curious. When scanning for replaygain, will the scanner see the decoded HDCD peaks (with peak extension enabled), or no? And would the result change if the option for halving volume were changed? (Assuming the HDCD decoder is installed and functioning correctly.)
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #4
I tried to decode HDCD with foobar2000 2.0 x64. Though it appears that it is a built-in feature in "Additional decoding", it does nothing for HDCD. There is also no built-in utility to scan for HDCD. I checked the decoded waveform and found that there is no processing at all.

foobar2000 1.6 with foo_hdcd has no issue in decoding HDCD.

It is confusing as there is an x64 HDCD component, but it was posted before official release of foobar2000 2.0 x64.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,79427.msg1015635.html#msg1015635

Reply #5
I tried to decode HDCD with foobar2000 2.0 x64. Though it appears that it is a built-in feature in "Additional decoding", it does nothing for HDCD. There is also no built-in utility to scan for HDCD. I checked the decoded waveform and found that there is no processing at all.

foobar2000 1.6 with foo_hdcd has no issue in decoding HDCD.
There is no "built-in feature" to decode HDCD in foobar2000 v2. You need foo_hdcd to decode HDCD.

Reply #6
There is no "built-in feature" to decode HDCD in foobar2000 v2. You need foo_hdcd to decode HDCD.
Thanks for confirming, especially because the built-in "Additional decoding" checkbox mentions HDCD and the x64 component is not appearing on the official component page.
Well now I'm curious. When scanning for replaygain, will the scanner see the decoded HDCD peaks (with peak extension enabled), or no? And would the result change if the option for halving volume were changed? (Assuming the HDCD decoder is installed and functioning correctly.)
You can use BitSort, enable HDCD decoding and set the encoder output of foobar2000 to 32-bit float, BitSort will report peak level. If you need to check true peak, add a resampler in foobar2000's DSP chain and set to 4x upsampling in the encoder setup. Keep in mind that different resamplers and the same resampler with different settings may show different results.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121942.0.html