Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: playback queue viewer (Read 6672 times) previous topic - next topic

playback queue viewer

hey guys - nice forum - without it, i wouldn't use and spread foobar.
atm i use v0.9.6 (PC) and v0.9.6.4 (Notebook) with default UI and a bunch of plugins.
one of them is Playlist Queue Viewer 0.2 and i have a question to it!

for example: the playlist queue contains 14 tracks, foobar is playing the first one of them and
then i manually (accidently) play a track (doubleclick) from another playlist, the playlist queue is cleared instantly.

is there any way to tell foobar or the 3rd-party-plugin to only play the double-clicked track, but not to clear the playlist queue???

howto override clearing playback queue when manually selecting track from another playlist?
or is there any other possibility to do this?

would be nice to hear ya thinks

greetz, dls

playback queue viewer

Reply #1
is there any way to tell foobar or the 3rd-party-plugin to only play the double-clicked track, but not to clear the playlist queue???

No. There is no option for this behaviour and it cannot be changed by plugins.

Standard reply: If you need a permanent playlist, use a playlist.

playback queue viewer

Reply #2
that's quite true but that behaviour can be avoided with foo_uie_bookmarks
in it's settings under special tab there is an option for playback queue (tick on "user starting another track")
in this case the queue will be bookmarked and can be back to life from bookmark panel

playback queue viewer

Reply #3
I have to point out that the vast amount of threads regarding the playback queue might be of importance.
Seems like users (including me) prefer using the queue for 1-off playbacks, maybe because it's far more convenient and hassle-free.
In other words, I think there might be a need to reconsider the relative feebleness of the playback queue in future builds.

playback queue viewer

Reply #4
thx for the answers

i understand your standard reply, frank.
in fact i voluntary work for an independent radio-station and want to displace winamp with foobar2000.
so i'm currently configuring foobar2000 for the radio-stations needs, and this option is the only one I could not set/change.
a lot of the user of the radio-station are used to this (winamp)-function, so I went for a solution!
that's the only cause for this question.
but, honestly, i think the users would only miss this function for a short time. considering the power of foobar2000 itself.

i'll give 2E7AH's bookmark-workaround a go for a test. let's see how the handling is. for accidently double-clicks interesting.

so, thx for answers, other questions will follow! ;-)
but I'll do this in another thread.

playback queue viewer

Reply #5
Standard reply: If you need a permanent playlist, use a playlist.
In most cases where people wish extension of playback queue functionality that is the right answer - but i cannot see how delusions request tries to replace playlist functions. The desired feature is related to scenarios of a senseful usage of the queue and to occasions where an unwanted clearance of the queue happens: either by accidental doubleclicking or when party hooligans are starting playback in a playlist without to wait on the queues end - your queue is lost! So far i consider that request as only senseful feature/option that could be added to the playback queue.

Seems like users (including me) prefer using the queue for 1-off playbacks, maybe because it's far more convenient and hassle-free.
I believe so too - that's why i requested here the implementation of a Default Playlist that would let the queue be queue and would offer at least the same convenience [edit: added following sentence] if not even more: you would not only have all playlist typical means to manipulate order of tracks, you als can use the queue inside the Default Playlist.

In other words, I think there might be a need to reconsider the relative feebleness of the playback queue in future builds.
Having such a Default Playlist in mind and considering the origin purpose of the playback queue (overriding playback order in playlist, jumping from playlist to playlist, workaround for limitation of "cursor follow playback") i even would advocate for a limitation of the queue functionality: Restriction to playlist entries so that it wouldn't be possible anymore to add items to playback  queue from ml viewers and consequently removal of tracks from queue that was removed from playlist or which containing playlists was removed. As a result of that a perfect solution would be found for that annoaynace/confusion described by nyarlatotep - also the weird behaviour would be fixed that resulted seemingly from the workaround Peter promised in nyarlathotep's topic. (See my description of that beavior here)

playback queue viewer

Reply #6
*yawn*

Just use playlists. Seriously. The playback queue feature is meant to be lightweight. Anything you can do with a playback queue I can do to within certain parameters using a normal playlist in minimally more time.

Anyone who claims otherwise does not know how to use foobar2000 effectively.

You're welcome to take me up on this challenge in this thread.

playback queue viewer

Reply #7
Canar, can you please explain me what this concrete feature/option requested by delusion has to do with replacement of playlist functionality at all? Let me give an answer: really, really nothing! As long as there is any useful usage of queue people will use use it and as long as they use it an unwanted clearance can happen. Or do you want to tell us not to use the queue anymore? If you reread my posting carefully especially the third part you will see that i even advocate for a restriction of queue functionality. If your response was also related to me then i must say that it was unfair and improper.

playback queue viewer

Reply #8
as long as they use it an unwanted clearance can happen
QED. Don't like that behaviour? Use a playlist.

I'd say that if you're using the queue so extensively that such an unwanted clearance is a problem, you should be using a playlist.

Should the queue only replace its contents when explicitly told to? Then it's just another playlist. The current behaviour is what distinguishes it from a playlist. It's currently designed to be instantly-overridable if you change your mind.