Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Alt-preset normal larger than high? (Read 3261 times) previous topic - next topic

Alt-preset normal larger than high?

Hello,
I was wondering how was it possible that alt-preset normal gives me larger files than alt-preset high. :confused:
I tried to encode the album The Violin Player of Vanessa Mae with both presets. Normal gave me an average of about 199 kbps, while high gave me only 180 kbps (as measured with EncSpot). I don't really have noticed any difference in quality with my mediocre headphones and less-than-perfect hearing, but then again I haven't done any serious listening.
In any case, it seems strange to me that alt-preset normal yields higher bitrates than high.

Reply #1
That can happen, --alt-preset high is the old --dm-preset standard.

Anyway --alt-preset normal is much more tweaked than high. Dibrom's plan is to remove the high preset (old standard) entirely.
This will probably be the case in the next build already.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
Does that mean that alt-preset normal is currently higher quality than alt-preset high? Is normal going to become the new standard hq preset?

Reply #3
Originally posted by dologan
Does that mean that alt-preset normal is currently higher quality than alt-preset high? Is normal going to become the new standard hq preset?

On certain clips (impulses mostly) yes, on others it should be roughly the same.