Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I'm frustated (Read 9209 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm frustated

Reply #25
Sorry but I haven't yet made this test, and reason is that I have headache and I'm sick and in that state I'm not good candidate of testing anything  To fullfil my tragedy   my jack -> big-jack converter is lost and test cannot be done untill I get one

No problem, we'll wait 

My speakers stand now very close and I don't have any stereo, only mono sound  Why do I need good stereo separation? Turn on "voice cancelation" or "vocal remover" on mp3 192kbps and later on losless or mp3 320kbps to find out what I mean   a lots of artefacts and in stereo headphones it can be easly heard

Postprocessing should always be done on the lossless files, if available. The whole point of MP3 is that it should sound to our ears in a certain way in the state it is in. As soon as you alter the file that concept is ruined.

MP3 192kbps is ideal compromise between audio quality and file size, but we cannot say it is "transparent" in any way! To mp3 320kbps I would agree that it is transparent cos even voice cancelation and other sound postprocessing shown no audible diffrence between losless samples.

Again, postprocessing has nothing to do with transparency.

I have a question, does other mp3 encoders have much worse quality than lame? Some of my mp3s are rather lo-quality with lots of artefacts and others sounds almost unaffected by process of encoding. So doest some stupid %#@@! recompres from lower bitrate or other mp3 codecs (there is few that I know names but not quality) are much worse in sense of quality

Yes, there are quality differences between different encoders, even between different versions of Lame. When you perform a test, you should always include the encoder/version/settings you have used along with your results.

ps. From what I readed in this forum about ABX tests I should not hurry and prepare everything so there can be later any "If I have better...".

Correct. Especially at high bitrates your ears can get very tired after some time. For high bitrates, I normally take a break of about 3 sec between each trial.

ps2. On my speakers with my current state I got ~~ p=0.3 for now
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=321603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is far too high.

Good luck