Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A few skinning questions (Read 785 times) previous topic - next topic

A few skinning questions

I switched to the beta and tried to play around with skins. And now i have some questions/feature requests.

1) Could it be made possible to change the font. as in: put a .otf in the zip and use that. (with a fallback to the default in case it doesnt cover some rare unicode characters)

2) Is it possible to edit the "search" and "tools" buttons (top left).

3) Is it possible to edit the menue/library view ("browse" and its "folders"). While it autoformats itself to fit the color scheme, i would like to have more control over its look.

4) Perhaps unrelated to skins: is it possible to edit the "browse" view beyond the playlist / internet radio / media server items in the advanced preferences? For example could i get rid of the, for me useless, %composer% item and add other %customtag% items?

5) is it possible to edit the notification widget? especially i want to get rid of the clock! it is confusing as fuck (why is this song suddenly only 14 minutes 32 long... oh wait thats the current time) and i have a working clock a few pixels above it!

Re: A few skinning questions

Reply #1
6) Is there no option to show anything else except the front cover with [albumart]

Reply #3
I answer as far as I know from experience. If there are any incorrect points, please do not hesitate to correct me.

1) Could it be made possible to change the font. as in: put a .otf in the zip and use that. (with a fallback to the default in case it doesnt cover some rare unicode characters)
No. You can change font color and face (i.e., default, bold, and italic) by skinning.
It may be possible to use different fonts with third-party apps, but I have not attempted to do so.

2) Is it possible to edit the "search" and "tools" buttons (top left).
As far as I know, no. I have never seen different icons for those.

3) Is it possible to edit the menue/library view ("browse" and its "folders"). While it autoformats itself to fit the color scheme, i would like to have more control over its look.
Partially possible. For example, you can change the folder and menu icons displayed on the right edge of the screen.
However, it is not possible to customize information display on the library view.

4) Perhaps unrelated to skins: is it possible to edit the "browse" view beyond the playlist / internet radio / media server items in the advanced preferences? For example could i get rid of the, for me useless, %composer% item and add other %customtag% items?
At this time, no. You can toggle the display of only the menu items in the Advanced > Main Screen settings.

5) is it possible to edit the notification widget? especially i want to get rid of the clock! it is confusing as fuck (why is this song suddenly only 14 minutes 32 long... oh wait thats the current time) and i have a working clock a few pixels above it!
Sorry, I don't know.
Did you check the "Hide status bar on the playback screen" in the Advanced settings? On my iPhone, it removes clock and WiFi and battery status icons.

6) Is there no option to show anything else except the front cover with [albumart]
Yes, you can display attached image other than front cover temporally on the playback screen.
Press and hold the album art to open a context menu for artwork display.
If the currently playing track has embedded images other than the Front Cover, the Back Cover and so on will appear in the menu as options.
I have checked the latest build (beta) on iOS.
To embed images in tracks, you can use the tag editing function of the desktop version of foobar2000, etc.

See this (the newest reference) and this (a bit older reference) and this (Japanese wiki), for reference.

Reply #4
Yes, you can display attached image other than front cover temporally on the playback screen.
Press and hold the album art to open a context menu for artwork display.
If the currently playing track has embedded images other than the Front Cover, the Back Cover and so on will appear in the menu as options.
I have checked the latest build (beta) on iOS.
To embed images in tracks, you can use the tag editing function of the desktop version of foobar2000, etc.

That is a no for skinning then. It does work for non embeded art too however. But as a quick test shows, switching one changes all album art on the screen. Here is what it looks like with album and artist art (only 2 i have currently on phone):
XX
As you can see both instances on screen are changed by switching one, and it isnt permanent.

Thanks for the answers. looks like all are a no (as i suspected). for now.

Reply #5
Did you check the "Hide status bar on the playback screen" in the Advanced settings? On my iPhone, it removes clock and WiFi and battery status icons.

lol, sorry that is the opposite of what i wanted to do. im talking about this clock in this window:
X
as well as generaly changing it a bit.

(dont know how it looks/ if it even exists on iphone)

Edit:
Also the clock looks out of time. weird havent seen that happening before.

Reply #6
Okay, I see.
Probably, that is a unique feature for Android. In case of iPhone, iOS controls mini-player on the notification area and lock screen.

Certainly, the clock display on the mini-player is redundant and confusing, so there is room for improvement, I think too.

Reply #7
Yeah, on the lock screen its redundency becomes comicaly obvious:
X