Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Simple tutorial for mobile devices to see f2k 64-bit on computer/media server? (Read 1215 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple tutorial for mobile devices to see f2k 64-bit on computer/media server?

I just want the quick-and-dirty for how to get foobar2000 mobile (Resolute) on Android devices to see my media library again.

Uninstalled the 32-bit version and rashly didn't note which components I had, before installing the 64-bit v2.1.1

Surprisingly, I can't find a simple walkthrough for setting up foobar2000 mobile on the computer side.

• installed UPnP MediaRenderer Output component
• allowed foobar2000 through the firewall

I'm not finding much in the way of configuration choices. Am I missing some other component(s)? Something obvious?

Thanks in advance!
“It is nearly an insoluble pancake, a conundrum of inscrutable potentialities, a snorter.” – Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Re: Simple tutorial for mobile devices to see f2k 64-bit on computer/media server?

Reply #1
I just want the quick-and-dirty for how to get foobar2000 mobile (Resolute) on Android devices to see my media library again.

Uninstalled the 32-bit version and rashly didn't note which components I had, before installing the 64-bit v2.1.1
Were you accessing it through the Media Server menu on foobar mobile?
If you were then you may have been using foo_upnp which is only 32-bit (and hasn't been maintained since 2015) but I believe does still work with v2 32-bit.

Re: Simple tutorial for mobile devices to see f2k 64-bit on computer/media server?

Reply #2
Were you accessing it through the Media Server menu on foobar mobile?
If you were then you may have been using foo_upnp which is only 32-bit (and hasn't been maintained since 2015) but I believe does still work with v2 32-bit.

Yes, that's how I was accessing it. I must've had foo-upnp. So there is as yet no software for the 64-bit that accomplishes the same thing, i.e., streaming over a local network to android devices? In that case, what other functionality does the non-standalone version of f2k mobile have?

Tangentially, I've been considering installing a NAS and moving the music library there. How feasible is that? They're typically Linux-based, but I understand foobar2000 can be installed via emulators? Would I be better off using the 32-bit version there as well, until enough component functionality exists for the 64-bit version?

Thanks again.
“It is nearly an insoluble pancake, a conundrum of inscrutable potentialities, a snorter.” – Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Reply #3
Yes, that's how I was accessing it. I must've had foo-upnp. So there is as yet no software for the 64-bit that accomplishes the same thing, i.e., streaming over a local network to android devices?
Do you really mean that you want to send music from foobar2000 desktop to an android device, or do you want to access your library from a mobile device (the difference being where the browsing is being done)?

In that case, what other functionality does the non-standalone version of f2k mobile have?
I use it mainly for metadata management but also occasionally for playing to UPnP speakers.

Tangentially, I've been considering installing a NAS and moving the music library there. How feasible is that? They're typically Linux-based, but I understand foobar2000 can be installed via emulators? Would I be better off using the 32-bit version there as well, until enough component functionality exists for the 64-bit version?
I keep the master copy of my music collection on my PC then sync a copy to an SSD attached to a RPI (a Synology NAS would be perfect for this). The RPI runs MinimServer (UPnP server) that I access through the Android BubbleUPnP app but could equally be accessed by foobar mobile.

What are you playing the music on?

Reply #4
My working setup was (don't laugh)

• f2k on Intel NUC (Windows 10), which is also my regular computer
• music library on external Toshiba HD connected to PC
• most often access library from Samsung Galaxy tablets, paired to good-quality bluetooth speakers
• (data management done on PC, occasional listening there as well)

This setup functioned well enough for my needs, but I'd like to get away from having to have the PC running all the time—NAS would be better (I was looking at Asustor Drivestor 2 Lite). Also, occasionally if I was using up RAM (e.g., graphic design work, or even visiting a poorly-formatted webpage with lots of annoying ads), the music playback would lag.

I have no experience with Raspberry Pi, but these Samsungs are not dedicated to music-playback-only.

Reply #5
• f2k on Intel NUC (Windows 10), which is also my regular computer
• music library on external Toshiba HD connected to PC
• most often access library from Samsung Galaxy tablets, paired to good-quality bluetooth speakers
• (data management done on PC, occasional listening there as well)

This setup functioned well enough for my needs, but I'd like to get away from having to have the PC running all the time—NAS would be better (I was looking at Asustor Drivestor 2 Lite).
I have no experience of the Asustor but it seems like there are a number of UPnP Servers available, of which I'd recommend MinimServer (the free version is probably enough depending on the customisations you've made in foo_upnp).

I'd keep your master copy on the external Toshiba and use your PC for adding/modifying tracks, then sync the files to the Asus using something like FreeFileSync. The UPnP Server on the NAS will then show in foobar mobile under Media Servers just as foobar2000 does currently.

Do your speakers only support bluetooth? If they support UPnP then you could use that instead of bluetooth as it's better quality, although this would mean using a different app. There are also products like the WiiM mini to add streaming capabilities to older equipment if that's a need.

Reply #6
I have no experience of the Asustor but it seems like there are a number of UPnP Servers available, of which I'd recommend MinimServer (the free version is probably enough depending on the customisations you've made in foo_upnp).
Good to know, thanks for digging into that.

I'd keep your master copy on the external Toshiba and use your PC for adding/modifying tracks, then sync the files to the Asus using something like FreeFileSync. The UPnP Server on the NAS will then show in foobar mobile under Media Servers just as foobar2000 does currently.
I had envisioned adding/modifying directly on the NAS, but your advice sounds like the voice of experience.

Do your speakers only support bluetooth? If they support UPnP then you could use that instead of bluetooth as it's better quality, although this would mean using a different app. There are also products like the WiiM mini to add streaming capabilities to older equipment if that's a need.
In addition to bluetooth, the speakers feature optical and coaxial connections, but not UPnP. I guess that'll be something to think about in the future!

Thank you for all the time and advice, @SimBun. Looks as if I'm going back to 32-bit foobar until there is enough component support available for the 64-bit version.

side note: 64bit v2.1.1 loads faster than 32, without briefly hanging up the mouse cursor. A minor thing, but not totally insignificant.