Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to play 192/24 unprotected DVD-A without a DVD-A standalone player (Read 5884 times) previous topic - next topic

How to play 192/24 unprotected DVD-A without a DVD-A standalone player

Hi, I have successfully copied a few DVD-A I own to my harddrive and then mounted in Daemon-Tools as images. I can play the 48/24 (stereo or multichannel) or the 96/24 (stereo or multichannel) in the computer using PowerDVD. WinDVD is a no-go; I even tried versions 5 & 6, and no luck. WinDVD says "DVD-Audio" but the files are not played.

My soundcard (Theatron DTS) supports up to 192/24 stereo/multichannel digital signals, though you have to use the analogue output for the 192/24 material.

The problem is that PowerDVD seems not to support 192/24 sources. When I play 174/24 or 192/24 unprotected DVD-A, in the information tab PowerDVD says "Sampling rate: reserved"; if I play 48/24 or 96/24 sources, it says: "Sampling rate: 96khz" (or 48khz).

I have the impression that PowerDVD downsamples the 192/24 signal to 96/24 because I can hear the music. My receiver supports up to 192/24 (analogue) and 96/24 (digital) but it doesn't tell the sampling rate in the display window, so I have to trust PowerDVD to know which sampling rate is being output.

I've read that the Creative DVD-A player actually supports 192/24 DVD-A, but it's not compatible with my card.

Is there any way I can play those 192/24 unprotected DVD-A in my computer and send the signal to the receiver through the analogue output???

thank you!!

Reply #1
The only way I know of is decoding the Meridian Lossless Packed files from an Audio DVD to WAV files and then loading them in other applications for processing or playback.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=409900

Reply #2
how do you decode the MLP files to WAV? using pcmpripper? or Disc Welder?

how do you play then the resulting 2 or 6 wav 192/24 files without downsampling them???

Reply #3
Get MLP files extracted using DVDAExplorer, then use DiscWelder as described in the other post. PPCMRipper is supposed to call WinDVD for decoding but I have not made it to work.

Play the uncompresed or re-encoded streams like you would any other. The one that downsamples is PowerDVD.

Reply #4
I'll try that.

btw, I think ppcmripper only works fine when the source is stereo. If it's a multichannel source, then you have to decrypt it first with dvdaripper and then extract the mlp files with dvdaexplorer or the wav files with ppcmripper.

how come PowerDVD doesn't support 192/24? It seems a bit weird since that player still supports DVD-A (while WinDVD dropped DVD-A support last year) and most formats in the market.

Reply #5
Someone here at Hydrogen wrote that PowerDVD checks if a trusted Audigy board is present before outputting the full quality stream. I haven't verified this myself (due to lack of PowerDVD and Audigy).

Reply #6
hmm, interesting. if that's true, then the trick would be "cheating" powerDVD somehow making it believe there's an Audigy present or bypassing the board-checking process... do you recall who wrote that?