Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AccurateRip 21 years old (Read 1303 times) previous topic - next topic

AccurateRip 21 years old

21 years back, we created AccurateRip, previously secure rippers required frame re-reads to detect errors, which has a detection hole, in that an error might not be random and repeat. Even C2 has a detection hole, so the idea was to compare rips against a central database was born. The idea here is there is only effectively one true error free rip, and any errors would not be present of someone else's different disc / drive.

Shortly after developing AccurateRip we found out pressings were an issue, that is when a CD is made it is made with an offset called the pressing offset. When the stocks of CD run low, they send it off to be remanufactured, and a new offset is introduced. This made the work of AccurateRip much harder, especially as part of the initial phase of AccurateRip is to find the drive offset (previously it was done manually).

Fast forward to today: AccurateRip has processed half a billion rips!, knows there are 5 million unique audio CDs out there, and has half a million people using it over the years. Impressive numbers for something which started small.

We are introducing meta.accuraterip.com as a community meta database (track titles), based on a few principles behind accuraterip, that the correct result is the result verified by multiple people. This is to replace gnudb which has gone rouge.

Re: AccurateRip 21 years old

Reply #1
 8)  8)  8)

Reply #2
AccurateRip is fantastic idea, and proficiently operated, indeed. I never had issues with it. Thank you for this. I especially impressed how the checksums can detect offsets.

Reply #3
Damn me for taking a couple of years to find it out while using merely cdparanoia.
Lucky me for procrastinating the big rip job until I couldn't miss AccurateRip's existence.

The big part was before cross-pressing verification, and a quick search among my CD rips gives some stats:
53 percent were verified upon ripping
35 percent have been retro-verified afterwards. Some of them because a new submission showed up, some because the cross-pressing.
8 percent got no matches. I probably re-checked them a year or so ago. Most of those are promos and demos, many of which are CD-R, so that is likely above the average user. So is this:
4 percent were ripped with errors (including damages wrecking a whole track) - or at least are tagged as suspicious. A lot of those acquired second-hand (so I got pressings before the loudness war remasters. Which includes some pre-emphasis, but I digress.)

Happy birthday!

Reply #4
Thank you @spoon !

Reply #5
Cheers!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #6
Thanks Spoon!, never new so in depth about this feature in all those years  :-[ , and now if found it actually awesome  8)

Reply #7
Thanks for all that you do.

Reply #8
Thanks to all involved in creating and maintaining such a great tool

Reply #9
I also was a bit late at the party and had to retro-verify most of my collection a few years ago. Of my current collection
- 3% was ripped with errors, and thanks to AccurateRip I was able to correct 50% of the affected discs. Quite impressive.

Many thanks!