Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux altenative to EAC/MAC/foobar/LAME (Read 3876 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux altenative to EAC/MAC/foobar/LAME

Okay, this is how my previous setup worked.

EAC-> Monkey's Audio.

Transcode via foobar 0.83 lame 3.97 v2.

that was on windows. Now I'm on Linux. What should I use now?

Reply #1
Okay, this is how my previous setup worked.

EAC-> Monkey's Audio.

Transcode via foobar 0.83 lame 3.97 v2.

that was on windows. Now I'm on Linux. What should I use now?

You can try using Wine emulation layer to run EAC and Foobar2000 or you can use native homebrewed apps like Amarok and Rubyripper. They get the job done nicely. Monkey's Audio support? that's going to be tricky for ripping.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
dBpowerAMP Secure Ripper by Spoon is by far the best ripper on the planet as far as security goes.  AND it runs in WINE, perfect.  Now if only we had foobar in linux working well.  I had to put together a little script, well like 5 to work with wvunpack haha, thats my linux solution as the other players just don't do it for me.

If your not afraid to do some scripting I have a good file browser called "gentoo" (not the OS) thats is completely configurable, so you just tell it to run your scripts and its an audio player then that does whatever you'd like.  Mine opens album art and filters my music and such, with regular expressions even.  I recommend the DIY route in linux, you'll be happier.

Oh keep in mind if your looking for a player, make sure you disable dmix in alsa if you don't want resampling! Check out your driver configuration in the "cards" folder.

Reply #3
Monkey's Audio under Linux really isn't easy. I only know of read-support, and that works only with the XMMS-player AFAIK.

Perhaps you should start thinking about FLAC. In that case there's many solutions; I do Banshee --> FLAC. Banshee has a rather secure ripping mode using cdparanoia. Alternatively it can rip to Wavpack. Banshee also can transcode to Lame on the fly when you drag songs from the library to your DAP.

Reply #4
I always prefer native solutions.

You could use grip to extract your cds and flac for your archiving. You could then use a script like audio-convert to create mp3 files from your flacs.

Or you could setup abcde to create flacs and mp3s from the cds in one go and be done with it. abcde also uses cdparanoia.

Reply #5
aqualung is another player to play back monkeys audio, but for ripping it I have no idea

Reply #6
I think this is good evidence just to set up some pipes with small applications and be done with it. =)