Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Android music player suggestions (Read 7599 times) previous topic - next topic

Android music player suggestions

Hello there,

Being unimpressed by Android's built-in player, I searched for something that would more or less be closer to our favorite player's features.

As of today, I'm using Meridian, because it is free, natively supports Musepack files, and has an easier playlists management. For files management, I also use Samba Filesharing so that I can map the SD Card to a Windows network drive.

But this system lacks many features :
  • playback in random order
  • effective mapping earphones button to some function (play/pause)
  • powerful library and playlists management with search function
  • some display and effect customisation, plugins support...
  • and... well, all that we love about Foobar
Would someone have any suggestion ? Even better, does Peter Pawlowski intend to write a music app for the Android ?

Reply #1
Even better, does Peter Pawlowski intend to write a music app for the Android ?

I was wondering this today actually, whilst on the bus getting annoyed at DeaDBeeF Player for Android.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Reply #2
While I'm not perfectly satisfied with Android's default player, it's the least bloated software that runs halfway responsive on my cheap HTC Wildfire.

Reply #3
I'm getting on fine with DeadBeef.

Reply #4
I remember having tried DeadBeef with few success before the summer, i'll give it a new try. Thanks !

Reply #5
Quick report from my first 20 minutes with deadbeef :
  • + lean interface
  • + reads many formats, including mpc
  • - seems to stutter on some files
  • + able to play randomly
  • + replaygain-able
  • + scrobbles
  • - requires bloated official last.fm app to scrobble
  • - lack of documentation (took me a while to discover that the playlist manager could be reached through a screen swipe, and I still didn't find out what the "add location" button is for)
  • + simple playlist mangement
  • - doesn't seem to autoupdate a playlist if a folder content changes
  • - doesn't seem to like directories with many files (814 in 36 subfolders in my case) : DeadBeef crashed and added only 5 songs
Altogether, a nice app in spite of its bugs. But quite not as cool as Foobar 

[edit : alas, this thread got moved to the "General audio" forum, while my question was focused on Foobar2000 users. Or maybe all HA peaple are Foobar users ?  ]

Reply #6
Poweramp may be worth checking out. Not sure if it has all of the features you're looking for, but it works pretty well for me.

http://powerampapp.com/

Key Features
    plays mp3, mp4/m4a (including alac), ogg, wma*, flac, wav, ape, wv, tta (* wma pro files may require NEON support)
    10 band graphical equalizer for all supported formats, presets
    separate Bass and Treble adjustment
    gapless
    optional configurable crossfade
    plays songs from folders and from system media library
    supports CUE files
    downloads missing album art
    widgets
    lock screen
    headset support
    scrobbling
    tag editor
    visual themes
    fast folders scan
    works on Android 2.1+

Reply #7
I have Meridian, PowerAmp and Neutron installed. My preference is without a doubt Neutron, because of perfect gapless and crossfeed, and other features that affect audio playback quality. Meridian and PowerAmp looks nicer and has more features at the moment, but this is probably going to change.

Reply #8
As of today, I'm using Meridian, because it is free, natively supports Musepack files, and has an easier playlists management.

I agree, it looks nice, but it supports only sv7.
So, I must use DeadBeeF, since it's the only one supporting sv8 on my Tattoo (android 1.6).

But if you have newer Android, you can try maybe Rockbox port for Android.

I plan to upgrade soon, so this one will be the firs app I will try then.

~~

Edit: You can vote for native Musepack support in Android here and pray

Reply #9
So, I must use DeadBeeF, since it's the only one supporting sv8 on my Tattoo (android 1.6).

But if you have newer Android, you can try maybe Rockbox port for Android.

I plan to upgrade soon, so this one will be the firs app I will try then.

Have you considered upgrading?  I would think that a relatively stock android 2.1 ROM would likely work better on older hardware then a 1.6 Sense ROM due to leaner interface.  Maybe try CM5 or CM6 and see how they work.  Then you could also use newer Android programs.

Reply #10
Edit: You can vote for native Musepack support in Android here and pray

Praying is probably the most important. There is a request for native WavPack support that includes working updated patches and it goes nowhere. 

Of course, while you're voting...