Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do tag changes affects AR verification? (Read 3624 times) previous topic - next topic

Do tag changes affects AR verification?

Somewhere (in HA) I read that changing tags may* affect the AR verification let say using CueTools.
Since I don´t know how AR calculates the checksums, I wonder if that´s correct. Does it use the internals flac checksums? Also what about if you add ID3v1-2 to flac files? and what about the tags added by ReplyGain?
Thanks.

Reply #1
Like you I don't really know. But I don't believe it'll have any effect. After all, it would be useless as a system if it included tag data as they will change wildly from user to user with all the different possible combinations, album art etc.

I'd guess it's just done on the audio data.

Reply #2
Tag changes that do not alter the audio data will not affect the AccurateRip hash value for that data.

CUETools provides the option to store hash data as a tag, though any verification, if implemented properly, would always generate a hash value from the raw audio and compare with that written in the tag (or better yet, against the actual record downloaded from AccurateRip).  This is much like how lossless files are verified, though the AR hash is completely different from the hashes used by lossless codecs.

Reply #3
Thanks for the answers.

Tag changes that do not alter the audio data will not affect the AccurateRip hash value for that data.

just curious which tag changes alter audio data?

Reply #4
just curious which tag changes alter audio data?

I think the bottom line is that tag changes should NOT alter the audio data. If there are any that do (and I'm not sure there are any) then those are to be avoided.

Reply #5
I know of none.  If it were a problem then it would be caused by the software adding the tag and not the tag itself.  If there is a tag or type tag that would somehow break a file, then a tag editor should not be applying it.