Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 7 - terrible midi playback (Read 5064 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7 - terrible midi playback

I've just upgraded from XP x64 to Windows 7 x64 and I noticed that midi playback is awful now. I use a program called Guitar Pro to compose music and this program plays back what one tabs in midi. I found that my problem is the same one as described in here: here (listen to the audio sample he posted) and we are also discussing it here, but I think this is a most appropriate forum for this. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to replace Microsoft GS wavetable synth?

I repeat, this does not happen in XP, I have a dual boot system and I've just tried again, it's just happening in W7

Reply #1
If you really want to compose with MIDI, the only good, logical and adequate thing you can do is buy a soundcard that supports soundfonts and then download/buy soundfonts for your composing needs.

MIDI is general, and in being general it has compromises. I've seen a 50MByte soundfount that only has a piano. What do you expect from an 8MByte .dls that has to have the whole range of instruments?

Of course, if you don't mind moving from MIDI into Virtual instruments, there are many soundfont players in VSTi's, some of them free, so you can experience a whole new way of composing while getting better sound, without needing an immediate investment.

Reply #2
I am not composing with midi, GP is just a program to write tablatures which happens to have a midi playback function. I only use playback to listen to what I've composed.

(I edited my second post because I had posted wrong info on the problem)

Reply #3
I've just upgraded from XP x64 to Windows 7 x64 and I noticed that midi playback is awful now. I use a program called Guitar Pro to compose music and this program plays back what one tabs in midi. I found that my problem is the same one as described in here: here (listen to the audio sample he posted) and we are also discussing it here, but I think this is a most appropriate forum for this. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to replace Microsoft GS wavetable synth?

I repeat, this does not happen in XP, I have a dual boot system and I've just tried again, it's just happening in W7

To play back MIDI, I use a program like XMPlay 3.5 and have it use a decent SoundFont.  Reality GM/GS is a good free one.  Chromium, Fluid R3, and Crisis GM 1.8 are others.

Reply #4

To play back MIDI, I use a program like XMPlay 3.5 and have it use a decent SoundFont.  Reality GM/GS is a good free one.  Chromium, Fluid R3, and Crisis GM 1.8 are others.

Yeah, but I am not looking programs to open a .mid file. I am talking about the default device for Windows to playback midi in ANY program. I am actually looking for alternatives to GS Wavetable Synth or a way to fix it to make it sound like in XP. This is the link I meant for the first link in my original post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1215-63-...e-problem#t9611

Listen to the clip he uploaded, it sounds exactly like mine.

Reply #5
Microsoft GS wavetable synth uses Roland samples. Edirol released some software to play midi called Edirol Virtual Canvas with the same samples. I'm not sure if it works in Windows 7 and i wonder if you can use it as a midi device.

Anyway, that's where you should look. Maybe you can find a Roland or Edirol soundfont...

Reply #6
Microsoft GS wavetable synth uses Roland samples. Edirol released some software to play midi called Edirol Virtual Canvas with the same samples. I'm not sure if it works in Windows 7 and i wonder if you can use it as a midi device.

Anyway, that's where you should look. Maybe you can find a Roland or Edirol soundfont...

I think that's a VSTi, I remember looking for that but not being able to find an x64 version