Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Volume Settings Between Devices (Read 4135 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume Settings Between Devices

hi folks,

i am using a laptop with a headphone out jack to some nice active speakers, now i am wondering what volume i shud have windows set to from 0 - 100, and what to have the speakers set to, i am asking as i dont want to distort the speakers with windows volume set to max then only be able to use the speakers at low volume

plus i am using windows media player

any idea on what is a good setting for its graphic eq, i have it set to: 0 0 0 1 1 2 2 2 2 2, is this ok for a clean sound?

Reply #1
Generally speaking, what ever satisfies you. My own preference is to have windows mixer putting as much volume as possible without audibly to my ears distorting the signal and afterwards setting the external amplifier volume to some nice level. what ever floats your boat

"Dude, this goes to eleven"

Quick Edit: Bold part
Hevay is The Way!

Reply #2
is this ok for a clean sound?

What is "a clean sound"? To get a flat sound, one would set all frequency bands to +-0 (unless EQing to suit the response of specific speakers).

Otherwise, EQ how you want; no one else has your ears (even if they did, a set of numbers isn't reflective of sound quality).

Reply #3
I agree with Wallu....  Strong signal without distorting.  Typically, you can go to 100% without distorting the line-out or headphone-out.

There is usually some "constant" noise from your soundcard/soundchip (noise that doesn't decrease when you decrease the volume).    If your signal (music) is too low, you get a poor signal-to-noise ratio.  If you then turn-up the speaker gain, you also turn-up the noise and you may hear the noise during quiet passages or between songs.

With EQ boost, sometimes you have to reduce the overall volume/gain to prevent clipping (distortion).  This is especially tends to be a problem if you boost the bass.  If you use the EQ to cut rather than boost, this isn't an issue.  (You can generally get the same frequency curve with cutting as boosting. 

And, I agree with what dv1989 said about EQ - In a perfect world you don't need any EQ (in a perfect room with perfect speakers and perfect recordings).  But, feel free to adjust to your taste or to compensate for speaker weaknesses, etc.

Reply #4
i have put my windows volume at 70, the eq i am looking for is basy but with clear vocals and hugh range, so i suppose i dont know what eq to have there

in windows settings i have disabled all enhancments, plus which sample rate is best? from 16 bit 14100 to 24 bit 192000

Reply #5
just for extra information, i have ripped all my music with windows media player 12 to wav

Reply #6
which sample rate is best? from 16 bit 14100 to 24 bit 192000

I believe you asked this in a previous topic, and were told by me and at least one other member that there is no benefit (technically the opposite) in using sampling rate or bit depth beyond those of the audio you'll be playing. If your audio is from CDs, i.e. 44100 Hz / 16-bit, leave it at that. Also, I still recommend research of your own, esp. for such basic info.

Reply #8
As was also pointed out already, I believe, and simply not acknowledged / ignored.