Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: artistArt downloader. (Read 37771 times) previous topic - next topic

artistArt downloader.

Reply #25
Carmenm,

i am not sure what you mean? Are your tags for artist builded in this inconsistent way? If that is the case so you could tag them in a consistent way and use tag <artistsortorder> for handling of article. IMHO not every problematic scenario should be adressed by additional features as long as they are caused by uncommon and inconsistent user behaviour.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #26
I wasnt using any tag at all. I was just launching your gui, typing a band s name, and see the result.
I saw that i didnt get the same result  with "The album leaf", "album leaf" and "album leaf, The".
So i think that artistdownloader should internally concatenate the 3 results.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #27
Would it be possible to keep the correct file extension of the downloaded images instead of always using jpg? Opening them with Irfanview I'm often prompted with a dialog asking if I want to rename to gif, png, etc.

Thanks.

Alessandro

artistArt downloader.

Reply #28
"album leaf, The"

you're being deliberately awkward. you should know last.fm always use the full name including any prefixes. not an issue for the developer IMO.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #29
To mobyduck:
Sorry about that.. I just assume that jpg will work fine with most apps, didn't know Irfanview would throw something out. After all, You shouldn't trust image file's extension, they are too often wrong..

I fixed this bug, please redownload your file..

To carmenm:
I don't think that's necessary.. You should always type in the right artist name, as they are mostly known as..

To garbanzo.bean:
Let me see if I can find space to place dimensions ..I think I will if I do..

artistArt downloader.

Reply #31
that's just your personal preference. how you categorise your music is irrelevant.

as a last.fm user, if you want to use their services (for which this component is just a simple tool) then you need to think like they do.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Album+Leaf

artistArt downloader.

Reply #32
carmenm, just save as "the artist" and use this script to display/sort it as "artist, the"

$if($strcmp($left(%album artist%,4),The ),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%album artist%),4))', 'The,%album artist%)

credit to whoever figured it out, i just stole it from another thread a while back

artistArt downloader.

Reply #33
Sorry about that.. I just assume that jpg will work fine with most apps, didn't know Irfanview would throw something out. After all, You shouldn't trust image file's extension, they are too often wrong..

I fixed this bug, please redownload your file.
No need to apologise.

But I'm not sure I understand: are you saying it should now save with the correct file extension? Cause I re-downloaded and tried again and I see no difference...

Alessandro

artistArt downloader.

Reply #34
Well it will save with the extension from Last.fm.
I just tried that with Taylor Swift, and it saved some png files, so I think if you are still getting errors, that would be what I said, the original uploader uploaded the file with the wrong extention.

BTW: I think your software should have the option to turn off throwing errors about wrong image format..I use google's Picasa.

Moderation: Removed unnecessary full quote of the preceding post.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #35
Well it will save with the extension from Last.fm.
I just tried that with Taylor Swift, and it saved some png files, so I think if you are still getting errors, that would be what I said, the original uploader uploaded the file with the wrong extention.

BTW: I think your software should have the option to turn off throwing errors about wrong image format..I use google's Picasa.

Moderation: Removed unnecessary full quote of the preceding post.

Hi,

I am thinking about using this software to download pictures for artists. The thing that i need it for 2 different cases.
In one i want one pictures of the artist(best quality possible) named with my choice(which is actually the artist named modified to respect foobar v1.0 ansi conventions, *->x ....)
In the other case i want a picture of this artist (the small one) that i will name with a suffix "_small" and with the same convention as before.

Right now i do that in foobar itself but it freezes foobar sometimes.

Do you think you can add options for me to be able to use your software?

BTW: how do you rename artists ? do you use foobar rules?

THanks

artistArt downloader.

Reply #37
you mean renaming the file?

artistArt downloader.

Reply #38
i'm guessing it's to prevent it downloading the same image more than once.

you could work around this by specifying your own target folder named however you like - one folder per artist.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #39
i'm guessing it's to prevent it downloading the same image more than once.

you could work around this by specifying your own target folder named however you like - one folder per artist.

Yeah that could work but i prefer to have one lastfm data folder . I am looking at albumartdownloader as command line. works fine except for the wsh call

artistArt downloader.

Reply #40
one lastfm data folder with subfolders. what's the problem?

artistArt downloader.

Reply #41
I just dont really like it

artistArt downloader.

Reply #42
just posting to say thanks paradog. your command line tool is great.

and thanks for providing the source. i've compiled myself a version that doesn't use the "original" images but downloads the "extralarge" ones instead. quite a bit of bandwidth/storage to be saved when downloading multiple images per artist. i just need to get my head around the GPL to see what i have to do to comply with it and i'll post my mod if anybody is interested.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #43
Encouraged by your replies, I decided to write a slightly bigger tool for downloading and browsing artist images..
So with much help from q-stankovic here comes

lastFmArtist
Introduction
This helps to download and manage artist images.

How to Use
1.How to call from commandline.

Code: [Select]
lastFmArtist.exe /artist <can be many artists, separated with space,best surrounded with "> /path <path> /num <number of images one page have>

Example:

lastFmArtist.exe /artist "paramore" "taylor swift" /num 10 /path d:\dd

2.Search
  Type in artist name in the textbox, set the number of images on the right, and click Search button.

3.Display Mode
  1)All Images: Display local and remote images of the artists, local images are displayed based on this artist's path setting.(Default library path)
  2)Local: Only display local images in one page.

4.Library
  I recommend to put all images in one directory, the library directory.
  You can check all artists' images by clicking "Display All Artists" which will search through your library directory for different artists based on the filenames, then display them grouped by artist name in different tabs.
  .!:Will consume a lot of resources if your collection is HUGE.
  You can specify your library path by clicking "Load Library".

5.Summary
  This will display artist summary when enabled.Double click the textbox to change font.

6.Other
  Double click on tab to close that tab.
  Left click on downloaded image to open it with default image viewer.
  Right click on downloaded image to locate this image.
  Pausing your mouse over some control can give you tool tip.
  Right click on "Download Status" to view about and help window.

Screen shot:

Download Link
Lastfmartist

Src
svn checkout http://artistart.googlecode.com/svn/lastFmArtist/ lastFmArtist-read-only

artistArt downloader.

Reply #44
This is a great tool! How does it behave if it is called with let's say "download 10" images but in that directory 10 images are already present. Does it skip then or download an additional set of 10 images? (Skipping would be preferred by me and it seems to do so..)

edit: I was talking about the simple art.exe

artistArt downloader.

Reply #45
it skips them. you'd see this if you ran it from a proper command prompt - my WSH panel suppresses the command prompt window.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #46
Thanks.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #47
Hello paradog,

i have one suggestion: the images are sorted by "recently popular". Concerning the need to find new images added to lastfm after you have searched last time it would be better to have them sorted by "recently added". So all new pictures would be displayed at beginning.

artistArt downloader.

Reply #48
Sometimes one of those two pictures is downloaded:

[img=http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3452/fergiefeatludacris26044.jpg]

It would be nice if those were not downloaded or deleted after downloading. I don't know the insides of this small tool, though I guess a CRC check after downloading would be one of the easiest solutions.

(My songs are properly tagged.)

artistArt downloader.

Reply #49
I have this tags as %artist%:

Pat Metheny
Pat Metheny Group
Pat Metheny Trio
Pat Metheny with...

and

Miles Davis
Miles Davis Sextet
Miles Davis Septet
Miles Davis Nonet

How to get the same ArtistArt displayed?

I know this is out of topic, but I am looking for somebody that helps me. Don't know much about.
I think that the best solution is to change the %artist% tag to only one tag without the rest, but maybe somebody have a better solution, by doing this changes I loose information.

* Found a solution: I will make foobar2000 look for ArtistArt at %album artist%. Bingo!