Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could use some help in getting ReFlacer running... (Read 3300 times) previous topic - next topic

Could use some help in getting ReFlacer running...

Hi,
Looks like ReFlacer will do the trick for what I want to accomplish on WinXP-sp3, but I cannot get it going, and haven't found enough documentation to bump me along.

I extracted files to a folder "ReFlacer", currently residing on my desktop. Seems I need a script to run it - executing directly from the command shell isn't working for me. So can someone please tell me a decent setup so I can use this? Initial purpose is to go through my drives, compressing the heck out of my flac files. (i.e., flac files that are at various levels -> flac level 8)

Where should the program's folder reside? Root level, "C:\Program Files", or does it matter?

Except for the input and target directories in reflacer.cfg, the settings appear to be what I want. Are/can these be overridden by command-line parameters?

How do I set up the script file? I mean, can someone plz give me an example?  In spite of having done some very serious stuff in VBA, I've has zip experience with VB script, which is what I assume is needed here.

Sorry to be so dumb; happy to report I didn't pass it on to my children.

TIA, Dave

Reply #1
Why don't you just use CueTools? It will do what you want from a GUI.
Glass half full!

Reply #2
Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't know of CueTools.  Well, had heard of it, but the name misled me as to its functionality. It looks like a useful program for a number of tasks.  I only reduces files (classical music) by about 1.3% when going from flac-6 to flac-8.

From what others have written regarding performance of ReFlacer, for some reason it is able to (re)compress flac files a tad more than does foobar2000. I'm not yet sure where CueTools falls in this spectrum of performance, and won't until I can have answers to my initial post.

Do you know how to get it running?

Regardless, thanks for your interest and suggestion.
Regards--Dave

Reply #3
From what others have written regarding performance of ReFlacer, for some reason it is able to (re)compress flac files a tad more than does foobar2000. I'm not yet sure where CueTools falls in this spectrum of performance, and won't until I can have answers to my initial post.
That's surprising, since ReFlacer and Foobar use the external FLAC encoder, so provided you configure them both to use the same version and the same command line options you should end up with exactly the same amount of compression. Cuetools has internal FLAC support, but can also be configured to use an external FLAC encoder, so should also produce identical compression.

I can't get ReFlacer to work either..... so I use Cuetools or Foobar.

Reply #4
Hi,
Looks like ReFlacer will do the trick for what I want to accomplish on WinXP-sp3, but I cannot get it going, and haven't found enough documentation to bump me along.

I extracted files to a folder "ReFlacer", currently residing on my desktop. Seems I need a script to run it - executing directly from the command shell isn't working for me. So can someone please tell me a decent setup so I can use this? Initial purpose is to go through my drives, compressing the heck out of my flac files. (i.e., flac files that are at various levels -> flac level 8)

Where should the program's folder reside? Root level, "C:\Program Files", or does it matter?

Except for the input and target directories in reflacer.cfg, the settings appear to be what I want. Are/can these be overridden by command-line parameters?

How do I set up the script file? I mean, can someone plz give me an example?  In spite of having done some very serious stuff in VBA, I've has zip experience with VB script, which is what I assume is needed here.

Sorry to be so dumb; happy to report I didn't pass it on to my children.

TIA, Dave

I have reflacer in C:\Reflacer.  To do what you want to do, the reflacer.cfg mode should be set to ReFLAC, set up the paths to flac.exe, and set the input and output paths.

Do you have the latest version of the EXE?

from a command prompt, change to the reflacer folder, and run the reflacer program... what are your results?