Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: activate front pc inputs (Read 3664 times) previous topic - next topic

activate front pc inputs

My current pc came with a sound blaster xfi extreme audio soundcard installed. I have installed audacity as I want to convert my viynl to mp3. My pc has a line in and a micrphone in on the front of the pc but they dont work. I am presently on crutches and have alot of back pain the last thing I want is start crawling under my pc desk connecting my turntable and microphone to my xfi soundcard. Is there way to activate the front inputs as this would be alot less hassle. I have looked in sounds and audio devices there is nothing to indicate that front inputs are activated.

activate front pc inputs

Reply #1
I use a SB X-Fi XtremeGamer card, I got it to work with my case's front panel jacks by connecting the front panel connector (lol) directly to the soundcard. The front panel connector cable that came with my case is very poorly shielded, if I try to record or listen via the front panel jacks I can hear a very faint noise, possibly the drive motors or fans, I'm not sure.

Here's a pic of the connector's location on your card:

If this is already hooked up, then try switching to Recording mode in Windows' audio/volume settings: double-click on the speaker icon in the tray -> Options -> Properties -> Recording. Then select the Mic input or Line-in, that should get the front panel inputs working.
we was young an' full of beans

activate front pc inputs

Reply #2
Assuming you've got a physical connection, there may be a utility installed on your computer to configure/select front or back panel connections.  I don't have an X-Fi, but my motherboard-soundchip has a configuration utility...  For example, it can set-up a particular jack/connection to be an Aux-input or a rear-surround output, etc.

If you can't get the front-panel jacks working, a low-tech solution would be to pick-up a couple of 3-foot extension cables.  You (or someone else) will have to access your rear panel one time. 

I've done something like that at work.  I have 2 computers with an extension on each one's speaker output.    So, I can switch a pair of speakers between computers without "pulling out" the computer.

activate front pc inputs

Reply #3
Assuming you've got a physical connection, there may be a utility installed on your computer to configure/select front or back panel connections.  I don't have an X-Fi, but my motherboard-soundchip has a configuration utility...  For example, it can set-up a particular jack/connection on the front or rear panel to be an Aux-input or a rear-surround output, etc.

If you can't get the front-panel jacks working, a low-tech solution would be to pick-up a couple of 3-foot extension cables.  You (or someone else) will have to access your rear panel one time. 

I've done something similar at work.  I have 2 computers with an extension on each one's speaker output.    I can switch a pair of speakers between computers without "pulling out" the computer.