Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are "printable" CD-Rs more durable than conventional ones? (Read 3049 times) previous topic - next topic

Are "printable" CD-Rs more durable than conventional ones?

Paying attention to how DVD's construction are, I was wondering if printable CD-Rs are more durable than conventional CD-Rs, because of the white layer that it contains, for the ink jet. Does that white layer protect data better on the label (CD data will always be on the top label, before the plastic).

Reply #1
Paying attention to how DVD's construction are, I was wondering if printable CD-Rs are more durable than conventional CD-Rs, because of the white layer that it contains, for the ink jet. Does that white layer protect data better on the label (CD data will always be on the top label, before the plastic).

I don't know the difference between CD-R's, but what I can tell you is that in terms of protecting data better pressed CD's you buy in the store are better. I read this somewhere once. Exactly why? I couldn't tell you, but I believe it has something to do with the outer layer of the disc and the fact that they are mechnically printed.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2
I think it might be a good idea checking the cdfreaks forum, as they might have some more info for you on this topic.

Reply #4
The difference between CD & DVD is that in DVD, the data is placed inbetween two platters of plastic, whereas the CD, the data is placed beneath the label, before the polycarbonate. Thanks for the guide, very useful. Answering my own question: Printable CD-Rs will basically have the same lifetime than other non-printable surface CD-Rs. because the caring & storage goes beyond a label surface. But a printable surface is one more layer of protection in CD-Rs.