Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Francinstien audio proccessing, is this acoustically valid? (Read 27819 times) previous topic - next topic

Francinstien audio proccessing, is this acoustically valid?

Reply #25
Intensity panning (done on most recordings) only creates L-R level differences and hence the higher frequencies will be more or less correctly positioned, but the lower frequencies will remain closer to the center. Localization will only be correct for extreme Left or Right.

But.. I don't understand how 'increased crosstalk at higher frequencies' solves the problem at lower frequencies. As far as I know this crosstalk process does not introduce interaural time differences in the lower spectrum in any way, or am I wrong?

Hmmm, I think he means that even the mastertape has flaws regarding stereo imaging that can be improved.

Yes, that was what I was trying to say 

Reply #26
Francinstien audio proccessing?? I thought the crossfeed filter was developed by Mr.Linkwitz in 1971.

Reply #27
But.. I don't understand how 'increased crosstalk at higher frequencies' solves the problem at lower frequencies. As far as I know this crosstalk process does not introduce interaural time differences in the lower spectrum in any way, or am I wrong?
You're right. That's what I don't get about the Francinstien, does it modify the high or low end?. IMO it's the low frequencies that need to be corrected. The (vinyl) cross talk only makes the high frequency imaging as bad as the low frequency one. That might give more coherent imaging but it's still not correct.

Reply #28
As I read Brice's account of Francistien in _Music Engineering_, 2nd edn. pp. 310-315, the crosstalk does narrow the high frequency image, hopefully to match the LF image and so reduce the 'smearing' of the image.

He says (p. 313):
"Interestingly investigations reveal that distortion mechanisms in reproduction from vinyl and other analogue media may indeed be just those required to bring about an improvement in the realism of the reproduced stereo image. This suggests that there may be something in the hi-fi cognoscenti's preference for vinyl over CD and for many recording musicians' preference for analogue over the, apparently better, digital alternative -- though not, as they invariably suppose, due to digital mysteriously taking something away but due to the analogue equipment adding beneficial distortion."

Whatever the efficacy of his procedure, he's not drinking anyone's Kool-Aid.

EDIT: typos

Reply #29
Probably a more sophisticated system should make an estimation of the (low frequency) source angles and apply appropiate time delays between the loudspeakers, to introduce an auditory time difference (instead of only level differences).

You're then basically performing Wave Field Synthesis with only two loudspeakers (but without distance information). However, the large distance between the loudspeakers in a stereo setup will introduce spatial aliasing (roughly for frequencies higher than c/(2*dx) with 'c' the sound velocity and 'dx' the distance between both speakers). These aliasing effects will probably smear the image even more.

Just brainstorming.

Reply #30
Just brainstorming.
Fine with me, as far as the TOS permits
There's some interesting reading in a David Griesinger paper "Spaciousness and Localization in Listening Rooms - How to make Coincident Recordings Sound as Spacious as Spaced Microphone Arrays", JAES v34 #4 p255-268 April, 1986.
Summary of localization experiments:

A. At low frequencies rooms tend to decrease the separation of images, compared to the same loudspeakers in free field, effectively pulling acoustic images toward the center of the room. The L-R component of the signal to the loudspeakers is less effective than it should be in producing localization -- it merely broadens the image and gives leaves a vague sense of spaciousness.

B. At high frequencies rooms affect separation less than at low frequencies, but with some placements they tend to increase separation, smearing the higher formants and consonants of voices outward toward the loudspeakers. Rooms do the opposite of what recording engineers would like. They decrease the LF separation and sometimes increase HF separation. FOr coincident or pan potted recordings you would like them to increase separation at LF (for spaciousness) and reduce it (or leave it alone) at HF.
This seems to support the Francinstien concept, but it adds room acoustics and speaker setup as variables.
For those who don't know Griesinger:
David Griesinger is a physicist who works in the field of sound and music. Starting in his undergraduate years at Harvard he worked as a recording engineer, through which he learned of the tremendous importance of room acoustics in recording technique. After finishing his PhD in Physics (the Mösbauer Effect in Zinc 67) he developed one of the first digital reverberation devices. The product eventually became the Lexicon 224 reverberator. Since then David has been the principle scientist at Lexicon, and is chiefly responsible for the algorithm design that goes into their reverberation and surround sound products. He also has conducted research into the perception and measurement of the acoustical properties of concert halls and opera houses, and is the designer of the LARES reverberation enhancement system

Reply #31
Hi,

The article on my web site was originally written a long time ago and as an article in a hi-fi magazine, so it is both "dumbed-down" (no math!) and plays to the gallery of the hi-fi fan's continuing love of vinyl. In fact, we used the "makes CD sound more like records" as a marketing device for the product. In retrospect I do regret that!

However, the story is real, when I compared the vinyl cut with the master tape, the stereo image was more precise than it even was on the tape! (Just the stereo image mind, I'm certainly not deaf to the increased noise, distortion and so on from vinyl!) And it was this moment that led me to thinking and researching how stereo works and how it might be improved.

The FRANCINSTIEN works because, with pan-pot stereophony, for a given channel intensity difference, the image at high-frequency is a touch wider than the image at low-frequencies. There's lots and lots of research about this, and every researcher has ALWAYS found this to be the case. EMI mixers (including the famous REDD .51 used by the Beatles) included a special matrix and filter circuit to reduce the interchannel ratio at HF compared with LF. The vinyl link and the fact that a record cartridge shows poor HF separation was the inspiration to reducing this ratio using L/R crosstalk, rather than using the matrix-filter-re-matrix technique invented by EMI. The crosstalk method is better in every way: it's cheap and it doesn't introduce inevitable group-delay distortion effects.

The issue of how it works with different, minimalist stereo microphone techniques is a good one: it isn't simple and I couldn't claim it is always optimal. What I have found is that the signal from crossed eights and cardioids is improved. However, because most cardioids "beam" at HF, the FRANCINSTIEN filter doesn't give enough correction. The effect with spaced omnis is much more unpredictable and I couldn't claim it offers any theoretical improvement. However, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

Rather than send you the new (unpublished!) article, I'll put it on my site. I'll also put some background info up there too and some circuits.

Sorry if I appeared grumpy in my first email..... I just didn't like being accused of being "full of shit!"

Best wishes

Richard

Sorry, I ought to have said, the hi-fi version of the FRANCINSTIEN narrowed the HF wrt the LF. In my view, this is the real FRANCINSTIEN. There was a later professional, 19" 1RU version with an adjustable "Stereo" control which allowed the LF to be widened to match the HF (And to an wildly exaggerated extent at the end of the control travel!) Sadly, when I demonstrated the original FRANCINSTIEN to pro-audio dealers, they wanted something that "enhanced" and "excited" and were underwhelmed by the original circuit. I needed to eat, so I invented that later circuit. In my view, the professional unit is not as interesting (or as theoretically sound) as the original hi-fi device.

Best wishes,

Richard

Reply #32
Sorry if I appeared grumpy in my first email..... I just didn't like being accused of being "full of shit!"

Personally, I was impressed by both your reply and your self-restraint. I've noticed that it can get pretty passionate when peoples' beliefs come into question.  I can't, of course, speak for everyone here, but I for one offer my thanks for your clear explanation.

I'm looking forward to hearing a Francinstien DSP, so I can check this phenomena out myself.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #33
Hi,

For technical reasons.... (I forgot the FTP password!), I've had to put the FRANCINSTIEN information on another site.

Please go to http://classicproaudio.com/franci.htm and follow the links from there. The article which appears on the other web site is here, but there are some new illustrations including an important graph showing the results perceived image position of summing stereophony at LF and HF. Right at the end of the article, I've put a link to the simplest of the circuit implementations. At a push, (provided the source is low Z and the destination>>100k), you can use the filter without the buffers.

I'd be very interested to see (and hear!) a DSP implementation.

Enjoy!

Richard

Reply #34
Doesn't 'crosstalk' basically have the effect of increasing the correlation between both channels? In that sense it is logical that it results in less smearing/blurring, but the question is: is it really an improvement?

Maybe there is more to this, therefore I'm interested in your paper.

Not necessarily. For any situation in which the channels are substantially different (meaning that they are different by more than a gain term), it is possible to set any correlation between +1 and -1, zero included, by using the right value of crosstalk.

Think of it as going into MS, and then compressing M and S accordingly for your desired correlation.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #35
This is interesting. Anyone capable of writing a simple filter for this? I'm not well-versed enough.

Reply #36
This is interesting. Anyone capable of writing a simple filter for this? I'm not well-versed enough.

If you're referring to my note, you can calculate M and S, yes?

Then adjust them so that the energies are equal.

Reconstruct, and adjust gain to not clip.

Now, measure your interchannel correlation.  SURPRISE!
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #37
There is also a snicker that the products are no longer in production.
I hope you don't think I pointed this out to snigger - it was to point out that your page couldn't simply be typical marketing BS, because it is not selling anything.

Welcome to HA.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #38
There is also a snicker that the products are no longer in production.
I hope you don't think I pointed this out to snigger - it was to point out that your page couldn't simply be typical marketing BS, because it is not selling anything.

Welcome to HA.

Cheers,
David.

Sorry David, I misunderstood.

Thank you for your welcome.

Best wishes

Richard

Reply #39

Just remember that the correlation is increased, but only in the HF range: in other words, in the sum/difference domain, the gain of the difference channel has to vary with frequency.

Here is a plot (from Tina circuit analysis) of the Francinstein filter with a source with 15dB difference in inter-channel input. Imagine this as a source panned hard left. The red trace shows the left-channel output: the green trace shows the right.

As you can see, the difference is not affected at LF, there's a transition point at about 700Hz with the channel difference being degenerated to about 8dB at HF.

If you look at..

you can see this is about the appropriate level of correction required to map the wider HF image back onto the narrower LF image.

Best wishes

Richard

Reply #40
So, basically you're converting L/R to M/S, apply a filter on S that damps frequencies above 700 Hz by about 3.5 dB, and convert it back to L/R -- or some equivalent process. Right?

Cheers,
SG

Reply #41

Just remember that the correlation is increased, but only in the HF range: in other words, in the sum/difference domain, the gain of the difference channel has to vary with frequency.

Here is a plot (from Tina circuit analysis) of the Francinstein filter with a source with 15dB difference in inter-channel input. Imagine this as a source panned hard left. The red trace shows the left-channel output: the green trace shows the right.

As you can see, the difference is not affected at LF, there's a transition point at about 700Hz with the channel difference being degenerated to about 8dB at HF.

If you look at..

you can see this is about the appropriate level of correction required to map the wider HF image back onto the narrower LF image.

Best wishes

Richard

If you look at the response of the filter in the dfference channel, the response looks like this:

R

So, basically you're converting L/R to M/S, apply a filter on S that damps frequencies above 700 Hz by about 3.5 dB, and convert it back to L/R -- or some equivalent process. Right?

Cheers,
SG

Yes, that's exactly it. In fact, that is EXACTLY what the EMI shuffler circuit did. However, in the Sum/Difference domain, it's tricky (in an analogue filter), not to cause coloration effects due to the non-ideal, group-delay response of the filter in the difference channel. The inability to do this processing without causing audible by-products was why EMI dropped "the shuffler".

The advantage (in analogue) of using crosstalk as the mechanism was the big advantage of the Francinstien.

Naturally, in digital domain, you can arrange to have a filter with a flat group-delay, so you can use the matrix-filter-matrix technique.

Best wishes

Richard

Reply #42
Isn't the problem here that, if a source is panned hard right (for example), then it really should come from only the right speaker. Phantom source = actual source in this example.

Phantom sources in between the speakers may need/benefit from this processing, but sources at the speaker can only be degraded by this processing.

I suppose you could argue that in the kinds of recordings that would benefit most (e.g. signals from real microphone arrays, not pan/pot and mainly LCR stereo), wouldn't have signals hard left or right.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #43
Isn't the problem here that, if a source is panned hard right (for example), then it really should come from only the right speaker. Phantom source = actual source in this example.

Phantom sources in between the speakers may need/benefit from this processing, but sources at the speaker can only be degraded by this processing.

I suppose you could argue that in the kinds of recordings that would benefit most (e.g. signals from real microphone arrays, not pan/pot and mainly LCR stereo), wouldn't have signals hard left or right.

Cheers,
David.

Hi David,

A pan pot will ensure a much greater inter-channel ratio than 15dB: let's imagine it's 40dB (a poor figure). The LF ratio is therefore 40dB and the HF ratio 34dB. These figures ensure the image stays firmly "at the speaker".

You do have a good point however that the required difference at HF and LF is variable according to ratio. Which is to say that the frequency-dependent "smearing" is not exactly the same at all image positions as this graph shows:

http://classicproaudio.com/wendt.gif

However, the mis-register is reasonably constant and the Francinstein filter is a compromise value.

Yes, the correction is more appropriate to pan-pot stereo than it is to recordings using simple stereo-pairs. However, it offers the right correction for crossed eights and is worthwhile on crossed cardioids. It is NOT appropriate to spaced omnis. But spaced microphone technique doesn't really have a theoretical justification at all... it just sounds "nice"!  java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_3')

I do encourage people to build and listen to the circuit. The "proof is in the pudding"!

Best wishes

Richard

Reply #44
For the record, the EMI shuffler was implemented like this.

EMI_shuffler_config&response.GIF

The circuit (complete with phase-equalisation) was this:

EMI_shuffler_circuit.GIF

Richard

Whoops....

For the record, the EMI shuffler was implemented like this.

http://classicproaudio.com/EMI_shuffler_co...mp;response.GIF

The circuit (complete with phase-equalisation) was this:

http://classicproaudio.com/EMI_shuffler_circuit.GIF

Richard