Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there a way to "fade-out" a WMA file without re-encoding? (Read 3906 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there a way to "fade-out" a WMA file without re-encoding?

Probably a noob question to anyone accustomed to dealing with WMA files, but as I generally tend to avoid that format, I am unsure about the answer:

Is there any way to losslessly "fade-out" the end of an WMA file? I know this can be done by setting per-frame gain on an MP3 file via a program like mpTrim.

The closest approach I have found for manipulating WMA is AsfBin, which allows lossless trimming, splicing and other such edits... but unfortunately AsfBin does not appear to offer any means of affecting a fade-in/fade-out.

Thank you!

- M.

Reply #1
fade out without re-encode is not possible, but you can split, fade short segment with re-encode, and join with main file

Reply #2
ZinCh is correct but I've never managed to do it without introducing an audible glitch at the join point.  Granted I typically am working with MP3 and WMA may behave differently.  If you succeed, will you post what software(s) you used?