Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buying new sound card (Read 7494 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying new sound card

I'm using the Creative Audigy 2 ZS right now, will getting an M audio Revolution 5.1 improve the sound?

Buying new sound card

Reply #1
The soundcard one of the last places i'd look at for big improvements, once you're up to a certain standard. The first thing is the speakers. I don't use normal "PC speakers" anymore, those are mostly just toys, unless you invest a considerable sum of money. Instead i just go into my normal stereo system. It's hard to beat a proper hifi amp and proper speakers.

Buying new sound card

Reply #2
I went from a Creative Audigy 2 ZS (PCMCIA) to an EMU 0404 USB and it made a lot of difference in sound quality: more punchiness and clarity. The EMU card is then plugged to an external amp and bookshelf speakers.

Buying new sound card

Reply #3
Hmm... I get two very different responses here.

I'm not really in a position to change speakers here. I spent nearly 300 dollars on the PC speakers, and I don't want to just throw them away.

So would a new sound card not be worth it? Because the revolution 5.1 has professional features in it, and sold as a mainstream card.

Buying new sound card

Reply #4
I think you need to provide more details.  What all is in your system now? How are you using your soundcard (digital out/analog)? Is there a specific problem w/your current sound that you're trying to solve?

Buying new sound card

Reply #5
For one, it's difficult to compare the audio quality of two soundcards when there's, say, 15 minutes between testing each card, because you have to install the new one. Things like a higher output level can easily make you believe that the new card sounds better, when it's just louder (not to mention you probably want it to sound better, having spent your hard-earned money on it). Just look at the X-Fi's Crystalizer, one of the things it does is boost the volume a bit, and at first glance it is perceived as a positive effect, when we know it's "not all that". I'm not saying bubbleguuum is imagining things or anything, i obviously haven't compared his cards, and of course you can easily tell apart e.g. some onboard solutions from a proper soundcard. All i'm saying is, unless you're testing back-to-back with the same material, with matched loudness, with minimal switching delay, with all settings at neutral (no equalizer active or anything), you can't really say that one card is a lot better when the numbers don't quite back it up. So in the end i stand by what i said, and i doubt any review or person saying that some new card is the best thing since sliced bread, when in reality it might just be some small setting that's different, the testing wasn't done properly, et cetera.

Buying new sound card

Reply #6
For one, it's difficult to compare the audio quality of two soundcards when there's, say, 15 minutes between testing each card, because you have to install the new one.

Well, you can install them both and then it's only about chosing one of them in your player and switching cables.

Actually, with a DAW application one could place the same audio into two tracks of the same session and direct each track to different soundcard. Add a switch to control which of the cards is connected to the amp/speakers, and after loudness matching you can switch back and forth even many times during a song.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Buying new sound card

Reply #7
I think you need to provide more details.  What all is in your system now? How are you using your soundcard (digital out/analog)? Is there a specific problem w/your current sound that you're trying to solve?

Do better sound cards produce generally better sounds? I use analogue.

Buying new sound card

Reply #8
CiTay is right. The major factors if it sounds good or bad are (sorted by importance):
- quality of the record
- speakers
- your room / speaker positioning (especially for correct bass performance)
- amplifier
- sound card

Buying new sound card

Reply #9
I went from SB Live! 5.1 to Asus Xonar DX and it made some difference on Sennheisers HD 215. Most notable was the extended bass response of the newer card, the SB could not deliver the lowest frequencies into my headphones. Live also has a way higher noise level than Xonar which is almost silent, this really helps quiet passages. High frequencies sound more clear as well but the overall difference is not THAT big.

I switched to Xonar mostly because Live was touching my dual slot gfx card as I had no other PCI slot left. Xonar went into the other PCI-e x16 slot on my board and doesn't touch anything. Being PCI-express, it is very future proof so I am not going to regret the investment anytime soon.

Buying new sound card

Reply #10
CiTay is right. The major factors if it sounds good or bad are (sorted by importance):
- quality of the record
- speakers
- amplifier
- sound card

I see, for the speaker/positioning, what is the optimum position? I place my subwoofer under my computer desk, right infront of my legs when I'm sitting. Is that bad?

Buying new sound card

Reply #11
........ The major factors if it sounds good or bad are (sorted by importance):
- quality of the record
- speakers
- amplifier
- sound card

I really cannot agree with this. Quality of recording is clearly the starting point as if it's bad, then it matters not about anything else in the chain. Similarly, if the sound card is poor, then good speakers won't help at all. A good sound card used with reasonable amp and speakers will give you a far better result than an average sound card used with high quality amp and speakers, and likely cost you less too! All IMHO, course!

Buying new sound card

Reply #12
I really cannot agree with this. Quality of recording is clearly the starting point as if it's bad, then it matters not about anything else in the chain.

i think that's what he was saying in regards to order of importance. 

re: the subwoofer question - again it depends on your room and since typical pc subs are definitely directional to a point you'll just need to test different positions for it.  what sounds best to you (without being boomy of course) is what counts.

Buying new sound card

Reply #13

........ The major factors if it sounds good or bad are (sorted by importance):
- quality of the record
- speakers
- amplifier
- sound card

I really cannot agree with this. Quality of recording is clearly the starting point as if it's bad, then it matters not about anything else in the chain. Similarly, if the sound card is poor, then good speakers won't help at all. A good sound card used with reasonable amp and speakers will give you a far better result than an average sound card used with high quality amp and speakers, and likely cost you less too! All IMHO, course!

But if it's up to a certain level, then improving it won't matter too much right? Like I don't use onboard sound, I just don't have 200 dollar sound cards.

Buying new sound card

Reply #14
But if it's up to a certain level, then improving it won't matter too much right? Like I don't use onboard sound, I just don't have 200 dollar sound cards.

Absolutely. I use several, in different machines, of course; an X-Fi Extreme Music, with all the sh1t switched off, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and an Asus Xonar DX, again with all the effects switched off. All three are good performing cards and around $100 (in the UK, at least), it depends what you're requirements are. The Revo 5.1 is a good card, but the Asus cards are well worth looking at and have released Vista drivers whereas most of the M-Audio Vista drivers are beta, if Vista matters to you, of course.

Buying new sound card

Reply #15

Absolutely. I use several, in different machines, of course; an X-Fi Extreme Music, with all the sh1t switched off, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and an Asus Xonar DX, again with all the effects switched off. All three are good performing cards and around $100 (in the UK, at least), it depends what you're requirements are. The Revo 5.1 is a good card, but the Asus cards are well worth looking at and have released Vista drivers whereas most of the M-Audio Vista drivers are beta, if Vista matters to you, of course.

No, I use XP. M audio cards seem to be discontinued right now. I think with the audigy 2 ZS, I don't really need a new card, because after all I'm using PC speakers. And most of the 200 dollar sound cards seem to add more music making features, not really better sound quality.

I might want to save for a hifi system instead.

Thanks.

Buying new sound card

Reply #16
M audio cards seem to be discontinued right now.

Why do you think so? Their website shows four Delta and two Delta Audiophile cards on PCI, as well as their usual range of USB and FireWire interface. Only 5.1 and 7.1 cards are not there anymore. They are also available from retailers like Sweetwater or Fullcompass. Fullcompass still carries Revolution 5.1 and 7.1, although as a "special order item".
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".