Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Balanced audio output from a stereo soundcard (Read 5088 times) previous topic - next topic

Balanced audio output from a stereo soundcard

Hi, does anyone know if it would be possible to get an unbalanced soundcard to output a balanced signal by using software to invert the signal and sending it out on the 2nd channel. does any software exist that allows you to do this and would the sound quality be ok?
Cheers!

Reply #1
Are you thinking that this would improve noise immunity over a long distance? If so then you should probably consider as well the frequency response loss due to output impedance and cable capacitance.

There are a number of solution for transmitting audio signals over longer distances, including digital data transmission and impedance conversion to send over 75 ohm coax and 100 ohm twisted pair. The lattter uses standard LAN cables.

Reply #2
I don't think there is any way (with existing sofware) to do this in real-time.  But, any audio editor should be able to make a stereo file with each channel containing an inverted copy of the opposite channel.

The sound quality shoud be fine.

P.S.
I doubt there would be much market for software (or a driver) that does this, because you end-up with a mono signal. (Or you turn a suround-sound card into a stereo-card.)

Reply #3
Hi, does anyone know if it would be possible to get an unbalanced soundcard to output a balanced signal by using software to invert the signal and sending it out on the 2nd channel. does any software exist that allows you to do this and would the sound quality be ok?
Cheers!

It would be much better to buy an ART Cleanbox II to convert the -10dbV unbalanced signal into a +4dbu balanced signal.

Reply #4
Is this for any reason other than curiosity? It is hard to imagine any real circumstance where there would be a benefit.

Reply #5
Mplayers pan filter might be configured to do just this.

I guess this also increases S/N ratio: Signal simply doubles (+6dB), whereas noise in both channels is uncorrelated and therefore only increases by +3dB

Reply #6
Mplayers pan filter might be configured to do just this.

I guess this also increases S/N ratio: Signal simply doubles (+6dB), whereas noise in both channels is uncorrelated and therefore only increases by +3dB

That would only apply to noise added by the sound card. Noise in the source material would double as well.