Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME and Outlook (Read 2775 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME and Outlook

I send radio spots via e-mail every day and have a huge problem:

After sending a LAME MP3 file via e-mail, the recepient using Outlook XP (and possibly other versions) will get the file attached, but with no file name.  So all that shows up on the Outlook user's machine is the MS-DOS unknown file type icon and the file size in parenthesis.  The name and extension is lost.  In my sent items, everything looks fine.

LAME 3.90.2, 3.91, 3.92, 3.93.1 and the alpha build of 3.94 all exhibit this problem.  LAME 3.93 (which is buggy) works fine.

A bit more about my machine......P4 1.4G, 512 Meg Ram, dbMusic Converter using the LAME dll to encode my MP3 files, Outlook XP to send.

Anyone here have any ideas?  I gotta have 100% compatibility with all possible end-users, so for now, I am sticking to 3.93.  Help!

LAME and Outlook

Reply #1
Try zipping the mp3 and attach the zip-file instead.

LAME and Outlook

Reply #2
That would certainly work.  I would still love to find out why only certain versions of LAME cause this problem.

LAME and Outlook

Reply #3
 So I guess that I have either stumped the experts here....or nobody cares about this particular "bug".

LAME and Outlook

Reply #4
Make sure that you are not using Rich Text Format. Non MS mailreaders don't like it. Use plain text or HTML.

If it's a corporate mail system, it might get stripped. I block most binaries on our corporate mailsystem. I allow zip files.

Edit:  The LAME version should not be relevant.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

LAME and Outlook

Reply #5
Outlook 2k2 (XP) has some bugs regarding to attachments, you should apply the latest sp to your office/outlook suite (which is SP2 now). this should solve your problem.
Thanks in advance,

Onur Buyukcaglar