Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Developing a component (Read 5609 times) previous topic - next topic

Developing a component

I'm interested in having a shot at making a component for foobar, however I don't really have a lot of experience with anything other than java.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me a guide as to what I need to download & set up to start working.

Developing a component

Reply #2
I'm interested in having a shot at making a component for foobar, however I don't really have a lot of experience with anything other than java.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me a guide as to what I need to download & set up to start working.

Learn C++, get Visual Stdio 2005 (nothing else will work,) and then take a look at foosions tutorials, to be found at http://foosion.foobar2000.org/

Developing a component

Reply #3
Um, did you have a look at this pinned thread in the developer subforum?
I have read that thread, problem is it has left me more confused than when I started. Talk of dependency's etc.

Thats why I started this thread.

Learn C++, get Visual Stdio 2005 (nothing else will work,) and then take a look at foosions tutorials, to be found at http://foosion.foobar2000.org/
Thats one of the reasons I want to do this to learn c++ (I find it easier learning from doing rather from reading). Does the express version work in the same way?

Developing a component

Reply #4
The express version works fine (it's what I use), but you don't get the full resource editor that comes with the full Visual Studio., which makes designing dialogs a little more challenging.

Developing a component

Reply #5

I have read that thread, problem is it has left me more confused than when I started. Talk of dependency's etc.

Thats one of the reasons I want to do this to learn c++ (I find it easier learning from doing rather from reading). Does the express version work in the same way?

Express will work fine, but I wouldn't recommend developing a foobar component to learn C++. The foobar2000 SDK makes use of advanced language features, which is why visual studio 2005 is required.

Developing a component

Reply #6

Express will work fine, but I wouldn't recommend developing a foobar component to learn C++. The foobar2000 SDK makes use of advanced language features, which is why visual studio 2005 is required.
Ah well, lets just say I like a challenge and I have a lot of time on my hands (looking for a job after finishing my degree) + it will keep me off of World Of Warcraft for a bit