Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Transcoding from freeformat - which codec? (Read 3737 times) previous topic - next topic

Transcoding from freeformat - which codec?

Alllofmp3 has the majority of their CD library in 384kbps freeformat. foobar2000 does not, as far as I know, have any freeformat compatible components because it needs sample accurate seeking. I could download the files in freeformat, decode with LAME then encode with WavPack, but the file sizes would become several times larger.

Allofmp3 offers AAC, MP3, Vorbis and Musepack encoding. So, my question is this: Which format is better for transcoding from MP3? I've tried a few ABXs of AAC's 'transcode' profile vs. Musepack's 'braindead' however I wasn't able to determine a difference. If every transcode was transparent then I'd simply use the one with the smaller file size, but my tests don't have enough sample tracks to be conclusive.

Edit: They use Musepack 1.14 beta for Musepack, Nero AAC (not sure which version), LAME 3.96.1 for MP3, and Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304 for Vorbis.

Reply #1
Mp3 > Mp3 will be the worse. I'd transcode freeformat into lossless despite the size problem. That way you can transcode it to lossy then store the 'lossless' offline.

Reply #2
I think I read something about MP3 > MPC transcodes being worse than others somewhere. I don't know if it was purely speculation or tested.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #3
I think I read something about MP3 > MPC transcodes being worse than others somewhere. I don't know if it was purely speculation or tested.

Sorry for the *very* late reply - seems you can pick the "original format" when choosing expert mode at download - so you get a first-gen 384kb freeformat MP3 - of course this boosts the price a bit...

Reply #4

Sorry for the *very* late reply - seems you can pick the "original format" when choosing expert mode at download - so you get a first-gen 384kb freeformat MP3 - of course this boosts the price a bit...

Aaand not anymore...  On this site it is possible, in the alltunes frontend (latest beta) I can't select "original encoding" anymore!