Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Do you know Nethack?

I know _of_ Nethack... / I've heard of it...
[ 4 ] (19%)
Nethack is my life!
[ 8 ] (38.1%)
I've played once or twice...
[ 8 ] (38.1%)
It's too ugly for me...
[ 1 ] (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Topic: Nethack deaths (Read 2953 times) previous topic - next topic

Nethack deaths

I've just started (over) playing Nethack... I had played a bit when I was younger, but never got past lvl 12 or so...  Now, I just keep dying, but I have basic gameplay covered.  It's impressively hard!

I just died 5 times today.. Soldier ants, Black puddings, An Incubus, A Shopkeeper, and an arrow trap

If you feel like it, talk about your Nethack or other Slash'EM / *Hack variant deaths here...

Nethack deaths

Reply #1
I've only tried NetHack, ADOM, Angband, and Rogue, in that order. My favourite was ADOM.

In ADOM, I've been to the places clearly visible on the world-map, but I've never gone very far.

Nethack deaths

Reply #2
I LOVE Nethack. I never ascended, the most far I got was The Quest level of Valkyrie, usually I have no problems finishing Gnomish Mines & Sokoban, but then things get tricky.
In old Amiga days I was playing some other rogue games, like Larn, Moria, ADOM, Angband, and Zangband, but Nethack is the best IMO.
There's an incredible tileset for Nethack - Absurd.
Also, spoilers are a must.

Hmmm, my most Yet Another Stupid Death (YASD) was when I was wielding cockatrice corpse (you can instantly petrify enemies with it), in gloves of course, but I was burdened so when I tried to walk down the stairs to next level, this is what happened:
You fall down the stairs.
You touched cockatrice corpse.
You die.

There was one more YASD - my pet (tame dog or cat) stepped onto a polymorphing trap and changed into Arch-Lich (one of the most powerfull creatures in the game). That was great, through many levels my Arch-Lich was instantly killing all the nasties (including Shopkeepers  ) and I was on a good way to ascend with such a pet, but then Umber Hulk showed up. I was so self confident that I didn't check in the spoilers what kind of creature an Umber Hulk is. Now I know that it's a relatively weak creature, but its attacks are confusing, so when my Arch-Lich attacked Umber Hulk, he got confused (confused pets may attack their owners), and on the very next turn my confused Arch-Lich has cast a Death or Disintegrate spell on me. Oh well.

Nethack deaths

Reply #3
Love the story, rutra80.

Nethack deaths

Reply #5
I definitely LOVE NetHack. It's so great that “devTeam thinks of everything”! For real, see how I died on the 21st of January, 2005 (oh, the date has no meaning here ).

Watch every string in console carefully:

And if you didn't understand how did I manage to die, check this screenshot telling the reason:

LOL, I find this quite funny!

About NetHack, I also very much like the idea of bones. If a vampire kills you, you may find yourself as a young vampire in the next game while playing another incarnation. And he may kill you too. (I hope my English makes sense)

And, beware! I highly disrecommend using spoilers. It is much more enjoying to discover the specific features of the game by yourself.
stimulating the audio nerve directly