Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod nano with VBR skips (Read 41445 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #50
ok, same question for the new iPod...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #51
I don't think this will help the problem at hand, but it's probably interesting to Nano owners out there:

How to add 200Gb storage to your iPod Nano
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333857"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But it scratches so easily! 

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #52
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333924"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't know about that one.  You will have to wait a couple of weeks until people do some audio testing.  Then again, it could take longer than two weeks as no one really knows for sure what songs the iPod will skip when playing.  Just like my 4G 40GB iPod plays the problematic songs on this website just fine.  However, I have my own set of problematic songs.

Apple stated that they improved the audio quality of the new iPods.  Take this with a grain of salt but they may have fixed the problem.

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #53
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333924"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't know about that one.  You will have to wait a couple of weeks until people do some audio testing.  Then again, it could take longer than two weeks as no one really knows for sure what songs the iPod will skip when playing.  Just like my 4G 40GB iPod plays the problematic songs on this website just fine.  However, I have my own set of problematic songs.

Apple stated that they improved the audio quality of the new iPods.  Take this with a grain of salt but they may have fixed the problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333930"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is to hoping they release a firmware update for the other ipods to fix the problem if that is the case.

Of course, given how long this has been a problem, I have lost pretty much all hope.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #54
first two albums encoded with lame 3.97a11 work good. no slips at all. 
-V2 --vbr-new

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #55
-V2 --vbr-new
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=334589"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You will most likely be able to encode many albums with LAME (new or old) without hearing any problems. 

The real test is to encode the problem samples so they don´t skip...
and then no, because it has been known for long that limiting the VBR range of LAME using addition command lines option, will prevent skipping. 

Problem remains that some people don´t have the option of reencoding the music as all they don´t have the original files, so their 2G mini / nano will continue to stutter / skip. 

What´s interesting is to see if the stuttering is also present on the 5G iPod. 

The problem is probably (my speculation) that the increased battery life of the new iPods is hardware controlled and hence can´t be corrected without issuing a new chip.

Had it been a simple software updated I still choose to beleive that Apple would have corrected it.

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #56
-V2 --vbr-new
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=334589"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You will most likely be able to encode many albums with LAME (new or old) without hearing any problems. 

and then no, because it has been known for long that limiting the VBR range of LAME using addition command lines option, will prevent skipping. 

Problem remains that some people don´t have the option of reencoding the music as all they don´t have the original files, so their 2G mini / nano will continue to stutter / skip. 

What´s interesting is to see if the stuttering is also present on the 5G iPod. 

The problem is probably (my speculation) that the increased battery life of the new iPods is hardware controlled and hence can´t be corrected without issuing a new chip.

Had it been a simple software updated I still choose to beleive that Apple would have corrected it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=334660"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't seen too many posts about stuttering on the 4G monochrome iPods, but I have just experienced some with a LAME 3.97 -V4 -vbr new track.

In foobar, In Flames' In Search Of I has a section that jumps from around 150 to 220 (time ~ 2:40).  On my iPod, it stutters every time.  I guess I will just have to leave the Latin EQ on the whole time. 

It's a shame too since I really like iPods and use it every day.
- FLAC/200GB external
- AAC 128 vbr/local
- iPod Nano 2G 8GB

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #57
Same problem is happening to me with a 4g iPod colour display, skips on some samples or just wont play song like its not even on the iPod. Now i have to encode my cd's into wav then into VBR for computer and CBR 192 for iPod its a real pain  . Why cant apple just fix the damn problem it's probably just a small issue, but maybe Apple don't care about people who encode over 128 kbps aac.

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #58
[...]

Hhmm... Interesting. which setting would that be (for Lame 3.97b)?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

iPod nano with VBR skips

Reply #59
[You will most likely be able to encode many albums with LAME (new or old) without hearing any problems. 

I think I'm 1st denunced this issue in italian forums and guess? None reported, no feedback at all. Simply most users use itunes codec. But with 3.97a11 I had not skips for now, and that's a great result.

-V2 --vbr-new are about same than preset -standard of 3.90.3 (maybe better) and with old codec I had issues one song yes and one song no, and so on... so these are not addictional settings for limiting the bitrate range, this is one of recommended settings.

however I'll test samples also (that on my mini and 3.90.3 were horrible) and will report... and I think there are different kind of hardware 'cause I know users with 2nd generation ipods never had problems.