Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAP Recording Solution (Read 2038 times) previous topic - next topic

DAP Recording Solution

Hi.

I'm a music student and I would like to be able to record concerts in excellent quality, just as one would with a MD recorder, but I would like the recorder to be hard disk based. I have an iPod currently, and I'm going to sell it, so I'll have between 200-300 dollars to work with, not including a microphone. I have investigated ipodlinux, and have not had success with recording with my 4G ipod, and i'm looking to go another route anyway; I'm looking for players other than the ipod.

150-300 dollars
wav/pcm recording capability
hard disk based

thanks!

DAP Recording Solution

Reply #1
I would like to have an encouraging recommendation but small and 'excellent quality' don't go together that well. There is a possibility for $500 (+ recording media), the new M-audio Micro Track 24/96
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Micr...k2496-main.html
but I don't know if it is really ready for prime time. That is quite small to have decent microphone preamps. Then there is the microphone question, one of which could easily blow your $300 budget.

I presume your goal is mobile recording. If you use a notebook computer, it might be a possibility, with the addition of something like the Moto Traveler and one or more decent microphones. Not all notebook computers do well for music recording but some models are in wide use. I can't speak to any particulars but there are sites dedicated to that pursuit.