Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why are my mp3 or OGG files on HD getting shortend (Read 3171 times) previous topic - next topic

Why are my mp3 or OGG files on HD getting shortend

Hi.  I keep runnng into compressed audio files (mp3 and/or OGG, I'm not sure if it's one or both) that only play back the first part of the file.

I don't think this has to do with the source of the file or the original encoding.  I play them with Quintessential media player.

They are on a fat32 partition in XP.  Text files located on the same partition appear to be ok so far.

Could someone offer a theory about why this is happening.  I'll post if the file length on disk has changed (e.g., 2 MB instead of 4 MB).

I have been thinking that it's the hard disk FAT getting munged up.

Thanks.
<<optimali>>

Reply #1
If partition is bigger than 32GB, or some file is bigger than 4GB, then using FAT32 is an asking for trouble. Check it with chkdsk.
And what do you exactly mean by "1st part"?

Reply #2
The partition is 20 GB and there aren't any files on it that are even close to 4 GB.

I meant by "the first part" that the files start playing ok but end (stop playing) before the end of the song.  I believe that this is a permanent situation for these files.

Thanks for your response.

If partition is bigger than 32GB, or some file is bigger than 4GB, then using FAT32 is an asking for trouble. Check it with chkdsk.
And what do you exactly mean by "1st part"?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313347"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
<<optimali>>

Reply #3
I meant by "the first part" that the files start playing ok but end (stop playing) before the end of the song.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313969"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did they ever play correctly? Do they stop playing always at the same position? When they stop playing, does player immediately jump to the next song, pauses, or plays silence? Is their lenght (time) reported correctly? Were you altering them (tagging etc.)? Did you try other players?

Reply #4
I've had the occasional mp3 behave this way. I've managed to fix them all by using foobar's 'Fix MP3 header' feature. If you aren't sure what delay or padding to use, just use 0. And set it to 'rebuild stream'.

Reply #5
Run the ChkDsk.exe utility, also wouldn't hurt to do have it do a surface scan. Check the memory using MemTest86, if you have faulty ram and more than one stick is installed you'll need to check them individually, replace any faulty ram asap.

If what's mentioned above isn't the problem you could try to decode one problematic mp3, and one problematic ogg using their .exe's (don't use the media player to do it) and then listen to the .wav files with two different media players to find out if it's a media player problem, or an encoded file problem such as using tag's that aren't compatible with your media player, or just corrupt files.

---

On a side note I had an issue with ogg's not playing fully before several years ago, however after switching the .exe compile with a different one the problem was solved.