Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Update at LoudnessRace.net (Read 11895 times) previous topic - next topic

Update at LoudnessRace.net

Reply #25
I'd like to add one bit of good news. I own two CD releases of Yes's "Relayer", the first one being released somewhere around 10-15 years ago and the second one being a remaster on Rhino IIRC, and there was no change in loudness. In fact, all three tracks have even lower RG values than before!

Name  Original release   New release
The Gates of Delirium   -7.52   -7.41
Sound Chaser   -8.24   -7.92
To Be Over  -8.05   -7.64

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262943"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If for some reason you want to hear the remaster that *is* a casualty of the loudness wars, get hold of the Japanese HDCD version (with the lovingly reproduced mini-album sleeve)  released a few years back.

Reply #26
Now that's irony.

Reply #27
Yes, Rhino tend to make really good sounding remasters.

The Emerson Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery CD remaster sounds excellent, and they've just remastered it again and re-released it as a DVD-A...I have an SACD/CD only player though

Reply #28

The Emerson Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery CD remaster sounds excellent, and they've just remastered it again and re-released it as a DVD-A...I have an SACD/CD only player though
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263105"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have that BSS version, actually. It does sound very good, although I don't have any other versions to really compare against. I have a DVD-A player too... hmmmm.

Reply #29
I'd like to add one bit of good news. I own two CD releases of Yes's "Relayer", the first one being released somewhere around 10-15 years ago and the second one being a remaster on Rhino IIRC, and there was no change in loudness. In fact, all three tracks have even lower RG values than before!

Hmmm... interesting. But, I prefer the original releases of 80's and 70's; because have many more dynamic range, as consequence the music for my ears is more pleasant and good taste. In my personal collection I have many CD's of 70's and 80's ("YES - Relayer" was produced in 1974; I don't have this CD).

In one occasion I made a experiment:
I ripped 15 album's of 80's (original releases; jazz, heavy metal, and pop). I normalize all the tracks to 100% (aprox. 150 songs !!!); and after analized with WAVEGAIN. The maximum RG track value that I can see was -5 (incredible not???) and was a track of heavy metal music !! Other types of music (jazz and pop) had less RG track values (max. aprox.: -3.5).

This albums I hear many times without ear fatigue... but... many new albums (98's and more recent).. Oh God !! ... I heared 4 songs and turn the music off !!

P.D.: sorry my bad english...

Reply #30

I have that BSS version, actually. It does sound very good, although I don't have any other versions to really compare against. I have a DVD-A player too... hmmmm.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263117"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've compared it to some japanese pressing that my dad has that was released around the time the CD format was just coming around.

It sounds like mud compared to the remaster

Reply #31

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263117"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've compared it to some japanese pressing that my dad has that was released around the time the CD format was just coming around.

It sounds like mud compared to the remaster
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=263237"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The original master tapes weren't used as sources for that CD until its first remastering in the States...on the Victory label , I think, circa 1990.

The DVD-A version is a complete *remix* as well as a remaster, and there's no dedicated two-channel track (just a downmix from the 5-1 channel mix).

Reply #32
Now, where's your site gone, mate?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262221"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[Paranoia]RIAA have forced him to take it down[/Paranoia]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=262222"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No the domain registration expired because I compltely forgot about it.

Reply #33

Replaygain is only valid for measuring the loudness if all tracks have been normalized to the same level; I'd say we should always use 0dB. Then it tells the peak-to-average difference. Have you done that ?
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Reply #34
No the domain registration expired because I compltely forgot about it.

Any chance of getting it back online some time soon? Maybe on a different domain?
sic transit gloria mundi...

Reply #35

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Replaygain is only valid for measuring the loudness if all tracks have been normalized to the same level; I'd say we should always use 0dB. Then it tells the peak-to-average difference. Have you done that ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have 

For 'Sound Chaser', in order of release, here are the left and right channel peak amplitude-to-average RMS Power differences in dB, and the (average of L +R), after track normalization to 0 dB, using Audition:

Code: [Select]
first CD release:       15.8*    16.96   (16.38)
Yesyears boxed set:     16.92    16.4  (16.66)
First remastered CD:    14.73    15.93  (15.33)
Japanese HDCD:          12.53    11.58  (12.05)
Latest remaster:        15.35    15.34  (15.35)

Interestingly, the only version that doesn't show *any* visual evidence of flat-topping (clipped peaks) is the first one. 

I'm curious to know, how does 'old fashioned' clipping/limiting (analog) show up in a wavform visualization?  Does it show up as flattops below 0 dB FS?  Because that's what I see in 4 out of the five visualizations.  Or does this come about from
digitally clipped mastering that has then been backed off a little bit from FS?

*for this one, I could not get the file to normalize to 0 dB; the normalized peak would be in the left channel which would go to -0.05 dB but no higher.  Don't know why.

You can view the raw data and the wavform screen captures [a href="http://www.m-ideas.com/sullivan/sc/Sound_Chaser.htm]here[/url].

Reply #36
Interestingly, the only version that doesn't show *any* visual evidence of flat-topping (clipped peaks) is the first one. 

I'm curious to know, how does 'old fashioned' clipping/limiting (analog) show up in a wavform visualization?  Does it show up as flattops below 0 dB FS?  Because that's what I see in 4 out of the five visualizations.
It should look like the first one of your screenshots (This one also doesn't look like "natural" dynamics.) Analog clipping doesn't look like the flattops of digital clipping, it's way more 'diffuse' or 'chaotic' and much more difficult to detect. The sound is surprisingly similar to digital clipping, but less harsh.
Or does this come about from digitally clipped mastering that has then been backed off a little bit from FS?
Most likely: yes. On many modern clipressed CDs the clipression isn't obvious (perfect flattops for clipping).
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?