Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: replaygain scan album by tags (Read 3048 times) previous topic - next topic

replaygain scan album by tags

I have often used this feature to apply replaygain to my mp3 collection. Using a filter in mediamonkey I found out that some albums have tracks with different album levelling (I use and apply album gain).

I then noticed that this happens on albums where one/some tracks have different artists. For example all my compilation albums and my Amy winehouse album "back to black" where the last track is by "Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse".

Then it came to me: this feature looks at artist/track combinations. Not just the album name or the album artist. Is this correct, and can it be changed? I see a risk if only looking at album names as some bands might have similar album titles, but the link of album artist and album title would do the trick.

Alternatively I have to find all my albums that have same album title, same album artist but tracks with different artists and scan them manually with option "scan as single album" but that can never be performed over my entire collection.

Could this be done somehow? There are many albums out there by one artist that feature several artists on the album, so If I understand this feature correctly it is not doing as advertised (it still is a single album, just with different track artists).

Reply #1
Then it came to me: this feature looks at artist/track combinations. Not just the album name or the album artist. Is this correct, and can it be changed?

Preferences - Advanced - Tools - Replaygain Scanner - Album grouping pattern.

Its value is "%album artist% | %date% | %album%" by default.

it still is a single album, just with different track artists

Just fill Album Artist tag correctly.

Reply #2
Thanks this helped me a long way!

Not 100% clear though as I was under the impression all my album artists are filled in correctly. i used mp3tag to do so, deleted all tags but id3v2 (so no multiple conflicting tags) and it shows one album artist for all these albums.

My Foobar has no default album artist column, I just made one with your value %album artist% and then indeed I see that one track has an album artist that matches the track artist.

I check mp3tag and there the album artist tag is named %ALBUMARTIST% but when I add that to foobar I only get question marks.

I think iTunes also uses %ALBUMARTIST% as my albums are all nicely grouped there. I found a link here that expands on this but am still unsure which steps to take next to fix this. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofive...php/t78246.html

I am leaning towards this suggestion, a little crude but maybe the best fix? "I use mp3tag to make sure that "albumartist", "album artist" and "band" all have the same information. This works for me with itunes, foobar, squeezeboxes, etc. "

Reply #3
I think i have it figured out. I added %band% as a column and that shows what other programs see as album artist. I'll change the preferences you mentioned from

"%album artist% | %date% | %album%"

to

"%band% | %date% | %album%"

Should do it, will test now

Reply #4
for future reference, this seems to work great! thanks for pointing me to the advanced settings.

Reply #5
do the "|" characters have a special meaning in the pattern?

Reply #6
do the "|" characters have a special meaning in the pattern?

No, I think the idea is just to generate a string which is the same for every file belonging to each album, but which is different from album to album.

Reply #7
Bumping an old discussion. Redoing my collection and to my surprise band tags are now all empty.

I read about the change in 1.1.6
The ALBUM ARTIST field is now mapped to the ID3v2 TPE2 (BAND) frame. ALBUM ARTIST entries written by older foobar2000 versions are still being read.

I don't know what TPE2 is and am confused if tags have changed or only shown differently. I changed the settings above from "band" to "album artist" as now the "album artist" is filled correctly but it gives many tracks different album gains so is the replaygain advanced setting to look at band where fileview shows "album artist"?