Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2 MP3Gain questions (Read 2899 times) previous topic - next topic

2 MP3Gain questions

Hello.  I'm new to MP3Gain.  Currently I am using MP3Gain (GUI's) analysis mode to analyze the albums/tracks so that the information can be used by mpg123 plugin for winamp to apply replay gain. I am NOT applying the "album/track gain" to the mp3's. I have 2 questions about mp3gain and any help will be appreciated.

1) The MP3Gain GUI has the Album/Track analysis mode.  Can I assume correctly in saying that that the analysis mode JUST ADD's/modifies some APE tags to put in replay gain info that a plugin for winamp (such as mpg123) can use to perform mp3 gain/loss *stuff*.  This mode however does NOT modify the actual mp3 data portions. (Am i correct?)

2) I would like to use the command line version for its flexibility.  As I mentioned above
I would only like to use the analysis mode information to put in ape tags that can be decoded by mpg123.  I dont want to apply actual track/album gain (i'd rather have it done by the decoder at playtime).  I do not see an option in the command line to do analysis only.  Can some1 help me with this.  I know the command line uses the default target value of 89.0.

EG: I have an album "D:\Music\Adema - Unstable", and I would like to apply the album analysis info (w/o actual album/track gain)  to all the files in that folder (album).  How would i accomplish this?

Thanx for the help.

2 MP3Gain questions

Reply #1
1) Yes
2) If you don't see the option you want in command line mp3gain.exe, why don't you just use the Win-GUI? Why you think that command line is better?
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

2 MP3Gain questions

Reply #2
Thanx for the answers.

2) If you don't see the option you want in command line mp3gain.exe, why don't you just use the Win-GUI? Why you think that command line is better?

When doing processing in batch files, (say when i add new songs to my collection), command-line is more powerful because it can automate the process.

2 MP3Gain questions

Reply #3
1) Analysis mode however does NOT modify the actual mp3 data portions. (Am i correct?)

Correct.

2) I would only like to use the analysis mode information to put in ape tags that can be decoded by mpg123.

The command-line program does analysis by default. So

mp3gain file1.mp3

will do track analysis on that file. If you have more than one file in the command line, then it does album and track analysis for those files. The DOS version recognizes wildcards, so all you have to do is go into a folder where you have mp3s to analyze, and do

mp3gain *.mp3

That's it.

-Glen

2 MP3Gain questions

Reply #4
Thanx for the info.  big help