Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextools vs EAC for ripping (Read 4463 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextools vs EAC for ripping

If I rip a CD to wave using EAC and also using Plextools, will the resulting Wav file have any noticeable differences as far as volume or other technical details?

I just might start ripping my CD's with Plextools as EAC sometimes takes forever and stresses the drive (cycling) when in secure mode.  99% of my CD's are in pristeen condition so I guess I would not need the secure feature.

Also is there a way to make EAC behave more like Plextools speedwise and yet still detect errors (as Plextools does)  ?

I would like to continue to use EAC where possible as I have it set up to kick off LAME and assign the tags.

TIA!
Foobar 9.6.9, FLAC 1.2.1b, EAC 0.99 pb 5
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Reply #1
Plextools should yield in WAVs identical to those in EAC (unless in case one of the two fails on an error).

About EAC: Have you tried EAC burst mode, test & copy, and verify CRCs after extraction? That should do what you are looking for. Since two reads are done this is as good as secure mode, and as fast as secure mode can be without rereading (cycling). If the resulting rip contains an error, you will know so because there will be a CRC mismatch (EAC will not start rereading, you are just warned by the CRC).

Reply #2
I only use Plextools to rip audio CDs with my PX-708A now for two reasons.

1) As you've stated, Plextools is fast!

2) Plextools managed to securely rip (I always rip twice and binary file compare) several CDs that had accumulated on my desk which EAC couldn't (these had built up over a number of months).
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #3
If I rip a CD to wave using EAC and also using Plextools, will the resulting Wav file have any noticeable differences as far as volume or other technical details?

I just might start ripping my CD's with Plextools as EAC sometimes takes forever and stresses the drive (cycling) when in secure mode.  99% of my CD's are in pristeen condition so I guess I would not need the secure feature.

Also is there a way to make EAC behave more like Plextools speedwise and yet still detect errors (as Plextools does)  ?

I would like to continue to use EAC where possible as I have it set up to kick off LAME and assign the tags.

TIA!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244344"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Plextools defintely has the advantage if you're using a Plextor drive, for reasons I'll give in a minute.

I recently posted regarding the Plextor PX-54TA CD-ROM I use with PLextools (actually it seems to be a Mitsumi, but so what), and wasn't that enthusiastic about it, having found that my Pioneer DVR-106D seemed better at reading scratched discs with any software, including Plextools. It used to bomb out sometimes on scratched discs with 'read errors' , especially when ripping to APE files in real time.

However a development here is that I originally had the the Plextor installed as the 'slave' on the IDE bus, and I've recently reversed them. It seems that  Plextors' recommendation NOT to have it connected as a slave is well-advised.

It now works very well indeed with Plextools, the C2-detection seems to be working properly.  A friend had an 'Eels' CD which was in a very sorry state (used as coaster by the looks of it) and Plextools got to the worst part (at track 12 of 16, about 45 minutes in), reported errors, slowed the drive down when it needed to (down to 8x and 4x for several minutes, then back up to speed), and completed the extraction. Excellent.

Another major advantage with Plextools/Plextor drive is absolute control of drive/extraction speed. With C2-reporting working properly, the rip can be done securely with single reads, so there seems no need for 10,000+ rpm spindle  speeds, I reduce it to 7-16x or 10-24x CAV and still get secure rips of complete CDs in a matter of minutes.

ciao,
RF

Reply #4
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244344"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can set Plextools up to do that, too, by installing the LAME DLL into the Plextools folder.

But I have found 2 downsides to this:

1. EAC queues up LAME tasks while it continues ripping, but Plextools uses the LAME DLL as it rips. This introduces a bottleneck in ripping (in my case with an Athlon XP2400 CPU, LAME encodes at about 7x). Anyone know if there's another way to configure Plextools with LAME to get it to queue up the encodings, a la EAC?

2. After a CD is looked up in FreeDB, the tag editing facilities in EAC are much better than in Plextools. For example, if the person who supplied the FreeDB data got the album title or artist name wrong, in Plextools you have to change it in every track, whereas in EAC you can change it in just one place.

Reply #5
Also, the filenaming capabilities within EAC is better IMO.

With Plextools you are limited to:
Track number
Track title
Track artist
Disc Title
ISRC Code
Release Year

With EAC you have:
Track number
Track title
CD or Track artist
Disc Title
Release Year
ID3 Music Type
Freedb Music Type
Disc Arist
+ a seperate various artist naming scheme

So I leave the tagging and naming to foobar once the audio is extracted.
daefeatures.co.uk