Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Md5 WAV Error Confusion!Please Help! (Read 3423 times) previous topic - next topic

Md5 WAV Error Confusion!Please Help!

Bit Confused On This One 

1 - I ripped a CD to WAV Via EAC.

2 - I created an md5 signature for the WAV files

3 - I created FLAC files of the WAVs

4 - I created md5 signature of FLACs

This was about 6 months ago......Now I went to the files

1 - I checked md5 of FLACs and FLAC fingerprints.Everything OK

2 - I decoded FLACs To WAV

3 - I checked WAVs with original md5 signature.Everyone failed!!!Why?

How can they all fail the md5 check when the FLAC files passed.WAV files seem to sound OK.I've tried decoding a few times and every time they error.

I'm confused ?Is something wrong or is it nothing to worry about!!

Reply #1
Hi,

Good news, you probably don't have to worry 

In fact there are other possible chunks of data in WAV files besides audio, so a decoded FLAC can be slightly different from the original WAV file, even if the audio parts are bit-identical.

In short, the md5sums of WAV files you have, are probably obsolete.

Reply #2
if you tagged your flacs after ripping, maybe thats no surprise. but anyway if your flacs are ok and dont have any crc errors then wavs are not corrupt either...

Reply #3
 PHEW!! 

I hoped you'd say there was nothing to worry aBout.I hadn't tagged them though.

Cheers

Reply #5
That is one of the reasons I prefer Monkey's Audio to Flac.  It makes independent verification of the decompressed WAVE files much easier when they are reassembled in their entirety.  It's true that one can create checksums of the audio-only data, but that's more tedious and error-prone.  I wish Flac would create lossless archives of the whole file instead of just the audio data.

Dave

Reply #6
Monkey's Audio does not always restore the exact wave file either.  For instance there is more that one way to write a 'fmt ' subchunk and both flac.exe and mac.exe will write the canonical form.  This will break the WAVE MD5 methodology.  There are a couple threads on the MAC forum now about how it is not reproducing the same WAVE file in other ways.

MD5 on WAVE is not a good methodology and will lead to more false positives, with no more true negatives over audio MD5s.  And FLAC calculates and stores the audio MD5 while encoding; with WAVE MD5 it's an extra step, the results of which have to be stored somewhere else.

Josh