Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar (Read 168717 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp-VIS-plugs in foobar

Reply #25
Hartwork have you contacted the authors of Milkdrop and Geiss about working with you on a pure port of the plugins? If they agreed to help out at least a little, and share some code I'm sure other foobar plugin devs would help you.

So how about it, have you at least asked?

i did not plan to ask for foobar ports cause i'm just writing the bridge.
if i did so i had asked them to waste their time.

ps: milkdrop and geiss ar both written by the very same person, ryan geiss...

Reply #26
oh, we got a second page now...

In other news, I rewrote the plugin I had and it seems to work without crashing, but I still need to add a config dialog for loading plugins and I need to figure out what I need to do to my message handling to get it to disable itself when the Winamp visualization window is closed. That and it may not actually be getting samples to the plugin properly :/.

Anyway, there's hope... kinda. If I feel it's usable, I'll post source and then hartwork and any other developers can decide what should be done with it.

Oh, and I haven't tried it with Winamp 5 plugins yet. I should probably do that.

sorry, i didn't really get that. did you restart coding or are you talking about former experiences?

one more thing i want to make clear: if anybody starts or restarts work on a winamp-vis-bridge we should decide to work together or which one will do the job. what i do not want is to be one of three people doing the same job independently like in a race or contest.

Reply #27
how would you feel if you start writing a component that you believed to be welcome and the first five or more votes are [keep any winamp] out and [vis-plugs suck] only?

You did include these options in the poll now didn't you?
Like picmixer I wasn't trying to flame you eighter, life shouldn't always be too serious, hence the:  after my comment
You also got a lot of positive results, like you expected. The plugin will be welcomed by a lot of users and that's the main thing.

I would like to be able to use visual effects like those in winamp but I have to agree with picmixer.
Instead of trying to build a plugin which is capable of using winamp's visual effects and add maybe new ones afterwards, wouldn't it be more logical to create a clean plugin for foorbar itself with visual effect capabilities first? If that's finished you could add extra functionality to be able to add the winamp stuff.
This way foobar will have powerfull visual effects plugin for people to use and maybe they can create new effect using it.

i'm sorry but i didn't really understand the second part.

At the moment, foobar itself doesn't have visual effect plugins like the ones in winamp. Wouldn't it be a more logical process to create something to fill this gap first by creating a plugin which enabled you to use visual effects created for foobar?
If that part is completed you could aim the same plugin to winamp effects by adding the feature to use the winamp effects.

Anyway, like I sead, it would still be cool to use your plugin. I just wanted to make a suggestion which seemed more logical and usefull to me.

Reply #28
I support your efforts. MilkDrop in fb would rox0r.

Reply #29
I restarted work on my plugin.  I'll post what I have sometime tomorrow when I'm not tired .  The problem currently really bothering me is that I can't get my plugin to disable when the Winamp visualization plugin window is closed by clicking on the close button or pressing escape, at least without also disabling my plugin when foobar stops playback.

As for trying to coordinate efforts on this, I think that for now we should consider passing code back and forth.  That way, it would be less of a race, but there would be more than one person giving input on how to do things.

Reply #30
As for trying to coordinate efforts on this, I think that for now we should consider passing code back and forth.  That way, it would be less of a race, but there would be more than one person giving input on how to do things.

Agreed.  I'll try to help some too in this case.  Right now to use MilkDrop with fb2k I wrote a little fb2k DSP and Winamp plugin combo that pipes audio from fb2k into Winamp via a Winamp input plugin. :B  Combined with global fb2k hotkeys, it works "well enough" ™ but it doesn't display any song titles or anything and you can't switch songs directly from the vis plugin.

Reply #31
poost baleeted

Reply #32
Should I use 0.8 beta 10 or 0.7.7b to test?

Reply #33
Sorry, I forget to mention that.  0.8 beta 10.

Reply #34
This is awesome bleh

It seems to be working okay so far. Performance is great, about 8 - 12% CPU usage on my dual. Which is equal to 16 - 24% on a single CPU system.

One problem so far.. when switching tracks by double clicking in the playlist I get this with Milkdrop v1.04b about half the time:
Code: [Select]
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\Music\Albums\808 State - Don Solaris\808 State - 04 - Azura.mp3" (0)
ERROR (foo_vis_bacon) : Unable to register window class.

2 x Athlon MP Barton 2600+ (2000mhz)
1024mb PC2700
ATI 9800 PRO
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 /w 1.0.2.6 drivers
Win2kSP4

I have not tried any other vis plugins. A promising start!

Reply #35
It seems my assumption that on_data would never be called until after on_flush was completely wrong.  That makes things interesting...

I'll see if I can fix it or not.

[EDIT]:  The top part of this post makes no sense.  That's bad.

Reply #36
Absolutely awesome, this is what makes life worth living

Keep on the good work, I hope this will turn out to be a beautiful coop project..

.. I love you milkdrop..

Haven't experienced problems so far - But I'm guessing they'll show their ugly faces sooner or later - unless I'm one of those lucky potatoes..
"foolish humans, no matter how you try to cover the sky with your hands - is the sky truly smaller than your grasp?" - Gran Kain

Reply #37
Works great with MilkDrop here, is it supposed to work with others yet?  I placed a few different other visualizations and it wouldn't detect them as even being thete...

Reply #38
A)  Which exact folder did you put them in?
B)  By not detecting them, what do you mean?  You went to the config menu and tried to change the selected plugin in the combo box, right?

Reply #39
Yes, it would just say that I needed to get some plug-ins.  Also i found a bug, if you are playing a song and hit the random button it crashes with this error:

Removed Quote!

That also happens with any type of seeking of a song...

Reply #40
The error you are seeing was just reported by Gnerma; I have a rough idea of what's going on with it.  You can edit out the crash log from your post.

However, I would like the exact paths of the directory where you're putting the plugins and the directory where you put foo_vis_bacon.dll to work on the other problem.

Reply #41
Yes, it would just say that I needed to get some plug-ins.  Also i found a bug, if you are playing a song and hit the random button it crashes with this error:

The random button works okay for me.

Seeking give me that same...

ERROR (foo_vis_bacon) : Unable to register window class.

...fb2k error with just about the same frequency as switching tracks via double click in the playlist.

I've gotten Geiss 2 to work. AVS gives me the Winamp version error bleh mentioned earlier in the thread.

Oh BTW soundcard Revo 7.1 /w 1.0.2.6 drivers

Reply #42
Plugin pulled because I screwed too much up.

Reason for those who care:  Race condition between my handling of on_flush and on_data.  I assumed foobar would call on_flush and wait for it to return before calling on_data.  It doesn't.

Skates, I'd still appreciate it if you were to answer my question about the directories because I may have b0rked something else.

Reply #43
Reason for those who care:  Race condition between my handling of on_flush and on_data.  I assumed foobar would call on_flush and wait for it to return before calling on_data.  It doesn't.

I don't get how this is possible, since both are called from the main thread.

Reply #44
It isn't.
It was my bug.
I'm very embarassed about it.
If you need a hint about what I wasn't doing, it involves the acronym WFSO.
Yes, I'm that stupid.

[EDIT]:  I fixed the seeking bug, but it'll be a little while before I repost the fixed build because I didn't realize foobar flushed all of the visualization plugins on seeks and I used to load the Winamp plugin DLL when rendering resumed after a flush.  I need a little while to come up with a new time to reload the DLL, since having to restart foobar to change plugins is far from elegant.

[EDIT EDIT]:  If you press Alt -> F -> S at the Post Submission page, you submit your post.

Reply #45
Sorry I just got back but if you goto WinAMP.com and download a visualization called Polar Eyes, and install it properly, it won't show up at all in foobar and you get the follwoing error:

ERROR (foo_vis_bacon) : Couldn't load DLL

Also you will find that a combo box doesn't appear that lets you specify which plug-in you want to use...All the config page is gives an error telling you that you need some WinAMP plug-ins!

Reply #46
Thanks, I'll look at that Polar Eyes plugin.

However, I really need to know the exact path of the directory where you're putting your Winamp plugin and your foobar2000 components directory.  Here's an example taken from my system:

Plugins for foo_vis_bacon -  G:\Program Files\foobar2000\bacon
foobar2000 components -  G:\Program Files\foobar2000\components

Could you do that for me?

Reply #47
C:\Program Files\Audio Software\foobar2000\components
C:\Program Files\Audio Software\foobar2000\bacon

Are the two I use...

Reply #48
bleh actually it started working now, I can now select the right plug-in to use, honestly I don't know what it was...

Reply #49
Neither do I.  Let me know if it starts happening again.  I'll do some experimenting on my end and see what I can do.  I still haven't quite fixed the seeking, though.  Seeking twice really quickly causes problems for some reason.