Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help! Lame crashes! (Read 4742 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! Lame crashes!

Help!
Every time I try to encode to MP3, Lame crashes.
Here are some error messages I get ripping an audio CD track to MP3 using CDWriter: LITE-ON LTR-16102B (Firmware OS0E) in WinME:

resv drain (post)        4
resv drain (pre)          0
header and sideinfo:      288
data bits:                2602
total bits:              2894 (remainder: 6)
bitsperframe:            3344
Internal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizebit reservoir error:
l3_side->main_data_begin: 1960
Resvoir size:            1968
resv drain (post)        2
data bits:                2620
total bits:              2910 (remainder: 6)
Internal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizebit reservoir error:
l3_side->main_data_begin: 3040
Resvoir size:            3048
resv drain (post)        0
data bits:                2599
total bits:              2887 (remainder: 7)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Encoding as 44.1 kHz 128 kbps j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (11.1x) qval=5
    Frame          |  CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU |    ETA
    0/5827  ( 0%)|    0:00/    0:00|    0:00/    0:00|  0.0000x|    0:00 Int
rnal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizebit reservoir error:
l3_side->main_data_begin: 816
Resvoir size:            832
resv drain (post)        4
data bits:                2600
total bits:              2892 (remainder: 4)
Internal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizeInternal buffer inconsisten
y. flushbits <> ResvSizeInternal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizebit
reservoir error:
l3_side->main_data_begin: 2208
Resvoir size:            2216
resv drain (post)        1
data bits:                2496
total bits:              2785 (remainder: 1)
Internal buffer inconsistency. flushbits <> ResvSizeInternal buffer inconsistency.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried various versions of Lame and various front ends such as EAC, Razorlame and AudioGrabber.
The strange thing is that it used to work fine until I formatted my HD and re-installed WinME and all my software. The hardware is the same.
Any suggestions?

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #1
Are you using 3.91 or 3.92a? I also use Me and my own ICL compiles of lame.exe work fine for me. Tell me which you want and I'll send it to you to try.

john33

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #2
Hi,
Currently I'm attempting to use 3.91 so it could be worth trying 3.92
What baffles me is that it used to work until I re-installed WinME and the rest.
Dave

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #3
Hi,

I have this same problem on my machine (I'm using WindowsXP).  I get the same message, it seems to happen randomly, although from what I've read, it might be because there's too much strain on the CPU?  People have suggested that it might happen if my CPU is overclocked, but mine isn't.  (I have an AMD Duron)

I haven't found any rhyme or reason for the crashes, but they seem to happen when I have a lot 'going on' on my system (many programs open, lot of file activity).

All I know is, they're annoying.

john33: If you would be willing to send your own compile of LAME 3.92a to [/a] I would appreciate it!

chris myden
[url=http://www.chrismyden.com][a href="http://www.chrismyden.com" target="_blank"][a href="http://www.chrismyden.com" target="_blank"][a href="http://www.chrismyden.com" target="_blank"]http://www.chrismyden.com[/url][/a][/a]

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #4
Yes.. 99% of the time these errors occur it either because your cpu is overclocked, or it has inadequate cooling.  Could possibly be bad memory also.

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #5
Yeah, I've checked my cpu temperature in the bios a few times, and it actually runs really cool (I've never overclocked my CPU), but the bad memory is definitely a possibility.

I used to run WinME, and I would get random reboots.  I downloaded DocMem, a memory tester, and as soon as it tried to test my memory, it would reboot.  (I have 2 memory chips, and it would do the same thing with either installed, I find it hard to believe both  are defective, but I guess it's possible).

So anyways, I decided to upgrade to WinXP, just to see, and have yet to encounter a single random reboot, in fact I have yet to reboot once in over a week.  However, the LAME crash still occurs occasionally, albeit far less frequently (maybe once every 200 songs).

chris
http://www.chrismyden.com

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #6
@cmyden

Already sent.

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #7
Originally posted by cmyden
Yeah, I've checked my cpu temperature in the bios a few times, and it actually runs really cool (I've never overclocked my CPU), but the bad memory is definitely a possibility.

This would actually be kind of useless though because it's not really the idle temperature which is critical, but the temperature under a heavy load like something LAME would cause.  You might want to download one of the various cpu temperature monitoring programs available and see how that goes.

I used to run WinME, and I would get random reboots.  I downloaded DocMem, a memory tester, and as soon as it tried to test my memory, it would reboot.  (I have 2 memory chips, and it would do the same thing with either installed, I find it hard to believe both  are defective, but I guess it's possible).

This is pretty odd.  Shouldn't happen anyway.  It might not necessarily be that the ram is defective though.. it could be that the modules are incompatible for some odd reason, or it could even be an issue with the motherboard.

So anyways, I decided to upgrade to WinXP, just to see, and have yet to encounter a single random reboot, in fact I have yet to reboot once in over a week.  However, the LAME crash still occurs occasionally, albeit far less frequently (maybe once every 200 songs).

The thing that's telling about LAME crashes is that LAME really doesn't rely on the OS much at all, so problems can't really be related to configuration issues or general OS instability (at least to an extent).  The errors you are getting from LAME are related from errors in math calculations... so that pretty much means it has to be a hardware problem of some sort.... either a faulty processor, memory, or some other part of the system.

One thing which could cause WinXP to crash less than WinME for you, if your problem is heat related, is that the WinNT kernels (nt, 2k, xp) send halt instructions to the processor when it's idle, which effectively lowers the temperature.  Win9x doesn't do this.  So if your problems are heat related, that would kind of make a little sense.

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #8
cmyden, please test your memory with memtest86 (search from google). It's a DOS based memory tester. You could run your os for weeks, but this prog detects errors within minutes. If your mem is ok, then it might be your power supply. Check your voltages! If the cooler is correctly mounted and isn't warm to the touch then ok. you have a bad mobo.(or cpu). Be sure to use the latest bios and chipset drivers! Epox 8khi+ had the same rebooting problem(only when extremly oc-ed) which was fixed in the bios;)

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #9
Found a great program called Hmonitor at

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?3326

Which monitors your system, and you can set it to lower the throttle automatically at a specified tempature, and then use the full capacity of your cpu again once the temperature has lowered.

That being said, I've been encoding with LAME all day (I'm at the 5 hour mark), and these are the stats:

Mainboard temp:  22.8C

CPU1: 22.8C

CPU2: 35.7C

Cooling Fans:  Power: 4418rpm    CPU: 2849rpm

Voltages:  Core: 1.64V 

The core voltage is highlighted in red, maybe it's on the wrong setting?

I'll wait to see if there's a correlation between a LAME crash and my cpu temp.

And I'll run that X86 memory tester too.

Thanks for the help guys.

chris

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #10
Memory problems, CPU Overclock, hot CPU!
This all sounds a little strange to me. I have a whole host of various software running perfectly fine now and before I re-installed WINME. Everything else works fine as it always has done.
Seems to me that Lame is a very flaky piece of software, so much so that that I now use other methods such as MusicMatch to encode MP3s and so far: No problems at all.
If anyone hears of a more solid and reliable version of Lame I would be interested to know about it but for now, I've written it off as more trouble than it's worth.
Thanks for the suggestions anyhow.

Help! Lame crashes!

Reply #11
Trust me Diofa, we are in the minority.  I've been around many digital audio & mp3 message boards, for quite a while, and there are very, very few people who have ever complained about the stability of LAME.

In fact, I was very surprised to actually find someone who  had experienced this same problem as myself.

The last thing I would call LAME is 'flaky' and I would never even CONSIDER another MP3 encoder.  It's up to you what you want to do, if you're OK with inferior quality, by all means use MusicMatch Jukebox. (Wouldn't recommend MM for ripping either, you should use EAC if you can).

If anything, I think LAME has actually helped you identify that there is almost certainly a problem with your computer hardware, as I believe there likely is with mine.

I'm not sure if it's technically possible, but it would be nice if, when LAME crashed, an option box came up asking: "Would you like to re-try encoding this file?", instead of the endless flowing text.

For me personally, the occasional crash (which has been really rare since moving to XP, I think Dibrom was spot on about the XP kernel halting cpu commands, and keeping my cpu cooler) is worth it, but I suppose for others it might not be.

chris