Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC vs Easy CD-DA - dealing with CD errors (Read 1947 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC vs Easy CD-DA - dealing with CD errors

I have a problem with EAC (I'm using the latest version available on their site). With some CDs, there are apparently some tough spots. When EAC encounters such a spot, it keeps retrying (well, I setup the error correction so it will continue retrying). So I hear the CD ROM spinning, then stops, then starts again, and stops again, etc. The end result varies. It either manages to rip, or there is a fairly large gap. It doesn't happen very often, but if I've noticed that CD-ROM stops and starts and stops and starts, it indicates the potential problem. Also in this mode, it is very difficult to kill EAC.

Anyway, yesterday I was ripping CD and encountered such a problem. I let EAC to complete the track (took about an hour, for 3-minute track), and then when I've played back the resulting WAV file, there were several large gaps.

Just for the sake of it, I've decided to give a shot to Eacy CD-DA (which i've never used before). I've configured it for 'error detection and repair', and then tried to rip the same track. Low and behold, even if it did got stuck on the same spots as EAC, it somehow managed to quickly recover and continue. Took 5 minutes to rip the same track. After listening the resulting WAV file, I couldn't hear any gaps, pops or other defects. For all practical purposes it was a perfect track. So I've ended up ripping the whole CD with Easy CD-DA, since it had 5 such tracks. In fact my portable player couldn't play them. After ripping with Easy CD-DA and burning the CD, it was just a perfect CD, so I'm back in shape again.

But back to the original issue. I've used EAC all the time for burning. This is the first time I've tried Easy CD-DA, and seems like it beats EAC in this circumstances -- or may be there is something in EAC I need to set to get the same result. Seems like there is a bad spot on CD, looks like unrecoverable error, but Easy CD-DA somehow manages to repair (probably interpolate) it on a fly, and does it quite well, at least to my ears. Still I would like to use EAC for everything. So here is a question: is there a way to setup EAC for the same 'quick error detection and repair' as Easy CD-DA?

TIA.

EAC vs Easy CD-DA - dealing with CD errors

Reply #1
  • You should cancel the ripping process if it takes so long - it might damage your drive.
  • Which drive do you use? Try setting a lower speed and disable the speed reduction function. LITE-ON drives, for example, control the speed internally.
Edit: If you are trying to copy a protected CD, you might want to try setting EAC to rip in Burst mode.