Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BUG (small) affecting FB 2.1 preview 2023-10-13 and -10-30 (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

BUG (small) affecting FB 2.1 preview 2023-10-13 and -10-30

Hello @Peter and Dev Team,
I have to confirm that the small issues I had with the Preview 2023-10-13 are also present (confirmed) in the last preview 2023-10-30:

1) Keyboard Shortcuts: my custom settings are lost after FB reboot and I have to redefine the custom shortcuts again.
By the way, where are saved these custom settings? I would like to give a look to the file to check if it is corrupted.

2) Playback -> Cursor follows playback: also this setting is not retained after rebooting Foobar.

About my setup: Windows 10, 32bit, FB 2.1 preview 32 bit, no DSP effects other than resampler at 96kHz fixed sampling rate for all.

All the best, Andrea

Re: BUG (small) affecting FB 2.1 preview 2023-10-13 and -10-30

Reply #1
1) Keyboard Shortcuts: my custom settings are lost after FB reboot and I have to redefine the custom shortcuts again.
Can't replicate. Give an example keyboard shortcut you set up that disappears as soon as the player is restarted.

By the way, where are saved these custom settings? I would like to give a look to the file to check if it is corrupted.
All core settings and settings of components targeting foobar2000 v2.0 mode are saved in the "config.sqlite" file found under profile directory. And since foobar2000 v2.0 the settings are saved instantly as you make them, not at the player shutdown like with foobar v1.x and older versions.

2) Playback -> Cursor follows playback: also this setting is not retained after rebooting Foobar.
Again, can't replicate. Neither with a clean portable install nor with my main install that has had that setting enabled for years.

I know you have a huge library and your 32-bit OS limits the available memory usable by foobar2000 to be even less than it could be. I can't help but suspect that all these issues are caused by the program failing to allocate memory. Have you checked the foobar's console to see if it reports any errors?

Reply #2
Hello @Case ,
thanks for your prompt follow-up.

Herein attached a screenshot about the 3 custom shortcuts I have to re-enter at almost every restart of Foobar.
Are only 3, pause, volume up and volume down.
About this issue I want to well state that me as well never had any problem before Preview 2023-10-13 (and me as you have these shortcuts defined since 2012 or so).
Same story about Playback -> Cursor follows playback.

I don't think is a problem of RAM, because now Foobar 2.1 uses only 520MB and I am still having 1.5GB of free memory.
And, anyway, no such problems with previous FB 2.1 previews.

What I noted more right now is that these settings are lost along with the Foobar windows settings.
I mean, I run Foobar in a maximized windows (let me say full-screen) and I shutdown from File -> Exit, and I noted that when the following run opens in a smaller windows, then it has lost all these settings.

In attachment also the complete logging a session having lost all these settings and having me re-entering the shortcuts and ticking the Playback -> Cursor follows playback (but I cannot see these steps through the logging).

And in attachment also my config.sqlite (as-is after FB shutdown).

Kindly let me know if you need more info and file.
Thnks a lot and kind regards, Andrea

Reply #3
Thanks, your config file shows the "Cursor follows playback" setting acting up. Looks to me like a variable is missing from the config file, like it was never imported from old settings. I'll let Peter know to take a look.
You can fix that setting misbehaving by opening Preferences -> Playback, then enable Cursor follows playback, Playback follows cursor, Stop playback after the current track and Reset the above when stopping. Hit Apply. Untick all the previous checkboxes, hit Apply. Now your settings should work normally.

Took me a while to figure out what key you have set for pause, but it seems Alt+Space. I set those keyboard shortcuts on a portable player using your config. The settings are retained on restarts, I can't make them disappear.

Reply #4
Hello @Case,
I followed your instruction for the workaround for "Cursor follows playback"  and it worked initially, but after 2 or 3 restart of Foobar, all was missing again.

And regarding my shortcuts, yes, one is ALT+Spacebar, while the other two are "cursor left" and "cursor right".

And a last quick question: is there an option to save/load full config to a file?
Many thanks and kind regards, Andrea

Reply #5
PROBLEM SOLVED

For anyone experiencing the same problem, it looks related to a corrupted config.sqlite file.
I fixed the problem by deleting my config.sqlite file and then rebuild it at the following Foobar run.

Regards, Andrea