Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No Cover Art in my files when using EAC (Read 1565 times) previous topic - next topic

No Cover Art in my files when using EAC

So yeah i started ripping my CD collecion with EAC but now i've noticed it isnt saving Cover Art to my FLAC files.
This is my current command line:
-8Vepr8 --no-padding -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" %hascover%-T "COVERART=%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%

I've already played around with a bunch of different options but i cant get it work, what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: just found this comment in another thread
"Look at the file "03_Compression Options 04.jpg". You need to check "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag".
This is fairly misleading because of the absence of ID3 tags in FLAC and should be "Add cover image to tag".
Is that still relevant? The post is 10 years old but i do have all ID3V tags disabled
EDIT 2: Nope didnt work

Re: No Cover Art in my files when using EAC

Reply #1
I haven't used EAC myself, but can you replace COVERART with PICTURE? 

Also, perhaps -8Vepr7 might be better as I've found using r8 increases encoding time a lot with little benefit.

Reply #2
FWIW, in the https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC there is a long line with
%hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover%

As for FLAC options, ... -r8 is typically not worth it (but next (?) FLAC version will likely include it, the build ktf posted in https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123889.0.html seems to do it faster.)
-e is also typically not worth it for CDDA. And to whoever says "I want the smallest and I can wait": you can typically get smaller faster by tweaking the -A: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123025.msg1016761.html#msg1016761
For CDDA, that is. For high resolution files it often makes a bigger difference than -p.
Also you don't want the smallest. If you really want to force FLAC slow, you can have it run for ages on one song.

Reply #3
EDIT: just found this comment in another thread
"Look at the file "03_Compression Options 04.jpg". You need to check "Add cover image to ID3V2 tag".
This is fairly misleading because of the absence of ID3 tags in FLAC and should be "Add cover image to tag".
Is that still relevant?
Yes
The option needs to be ticked to enable using the %coverfile% placeholder. It doesn't matter if tags are ID3 or not.
You also need to use the string Porcus provided.
korth

Reply #4
FWIW, in the https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC there is a long line with
%hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover%

That string worked thank you!
As for the e p and r options. I just figured i do the maximum now  my mind will shut up about it later since i have to re-rip my entire CD collection anyway. That's an interesting thread you linked, i should have a deeper look at it when im less tired. The a option always seemed to daunting for me to figure out, and i dont really have the time to test through different settings and see what works. From what i've seen the guy in the other thread couldnt come up with a definite best string to use either but if someone had that i wouldnt mind using it.

Reply #5
There is no "definite heaviest compression" setting in FLAC. Overloading with -A options (which now can be done virtually unlimited with the "subblock" thing) only tries a lot of (slightly) different approaches and picks the smallest.
(Sure there is a theoretical minimum, formed by taking all possible combinations of numbers in the predictor, precision, blah blah blah, and the existence of such explains why you get so diminishing returns to time.)

FLAC is lossless, so FLAC files can be recompressed. There is one case for using heavy compression initially, and that is that CD ripping takes quite a bit of time anyway when your computer is running. But ... I don't remember this about EAC: Can it run compression in more than one core? Does it even start encoding before the rip job is done? Can you start the next rip job until the encode is done? Depending on the answers, you may have to wait after it has read the CD, and then any delay more than the time it takes you to change CD, is a nuissance.
In which case you might as well just use a fast setting and recompress later. Using flac.exe to recompress will preserve your tags too. You can recompress overnight, or at the end of the rip job or ... or when your hard drive is about to run full, which I actually just did. Went to a newer FLAC version that actually is an improvement compression-wise - and it was the high resolution audio that got me the extra gigabytes. I did a recompress on CDs too just to test it - going from old -8 to new -8p saved me like, 0.1 percent or maybe slightly more. That means that recompressing 1000 CDs would give room for one more ...
You can reconsider when your hard drive is closing in on full  ;)

Reply #6
EAC starts compression after each Track is extracted, you can set it to start extracting the next track right away or wait for compression to finish first. And it can compress on up to 4 threads simultaniously (so 4 tracks at once), though i never once had a Track finish extraction before the previous one was done compressing, except maybe for short intro or interlude tracks. I use it though to compress digital albums.

My Harddrives are actually getting quite full, though i can always add more  :P . I'm more limited by the size of my SD card to take it on the go. Adding e and p does save me enough MB on my around 16'000 Tracks (and many more in the pipeline) to make it worth it, for me anyway.

Reply #7
Ah, good. Since the time "is already spent" on ripping, that means a heavy encoding option does make sense.
If you want slightly smaller files - and are willing to take a risk about compatibility by producing non-Subset FLAC files - you can add options like
--lax -l 18
What it does? Predicting each sample using a past of up to the 18 previous ones (rather than "up to 12"). More coefficients to brute-force with -p or -e --> takes more time (and especially when you use both). You can go all the way to -l 32, but ... I think you already will notice the slowdown.
Why not do the --lax? Not in "Subset" (search it up), so there might be decoders that choke on it. But since -l 18 is Subset-compliant when sample rate is > 48kHz, then any player that does hi-rez will have to handle that long prediction anyway, and those players are unlikely to object to -l 18 just because sampling rate is more normal.

Of course you could also scrap FLAC altogether. What to use instead? TAK for the overall best performance (and there is an open decoder available and if you give it an MD5 sum you should be safe); Monkey's for maybe-maybe-slightly-heavier-compression; or maybe, given that your current choice is FOSS-and-well-specified-format, then WavPack. WavPack's -h mode decodes as fast as ALAC (and the heaviest -hh mode decodes as fast as ALAC's "fast" mode, because ALAC fast is fast for encoding and slower for decoding. More on decoding complexity: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123655.0.html
WavPack suggested setting for heavy compression: -mvhhx4. ("mv" writes MD5 and verifies; "x4" for additional size-saving processing that does take thrice the time of Monkey's Insane, see http://audiograaf.nl/losslesstest/revision%205/Average%20of%20all%20CDDA%20sources.pdf - it decodes much lighter though. There is also x5 and x6 for seven and nine times an insane Monkey, but they are hardly worth it, see the -Δt/Δsize column in this post.
Oh, actually, when the source is CD - which has no WAVE file and thus no need to preserve the WAVE file metadata - you can throw in an "r" to nuke the WAVE header EAC writes, so -rmvhhx4 .)

Reply #8
The only hardware player I have access to at the moment is a newer Toyota Entune system.  It surprisingly supports hi-res FLAC (although anything above 48KHz is down-sampled).  I put a couple CDDA albums encoded with --lax -l18 and -l32 on USB, and they played just fine.

Reply #9
Would you mind running the testbench at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121478.50.html and filling in at https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=FLAC_decoder_testbench ?
Although I am not sure downsampled is supposed to be green without comment ...