Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiophile Strikes Back: MoFi Hit with Lawsuit Over Analog Vinyl Controversy (Read 1518 times) previous topic - next topic

Audiophile Strikes Back: MoFi Hit with Lawsuit Over Analog Vinyl Controversy

Amid a scandal in the audiophile world over "all analog" records, a new lawsuit claims the company duped consumers with "misleading" labeling.

“MoFi never disclosed this fact, nor did it change its representations to reflect the fact that its records were using DSD,” lawyers for the accuser wrote in a complaint filed Thursday in Chicago federal court. “Instead, MoFi intentionally hid this fact from consumers.”

The lawsuit claims buyers paid extra for the supposedly all-analog vinyl, labeled as either “Original Master Recording” or “Ultradisc One Step” – not only for better sound but also because they’re intrinsically more scarce than recordings that incorporate digital processes.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/mofi-lawsuit-class-action-analog-vinyl/
EZ CD Audio Converter

Re: Audiophile Strikes Back: MoFi Hit with Lawsuit Over Analog Vinyl Controversy

Reply #2
If I was on the jury I MIGHT allow them to return the records for a refund, depending on what the actual facts and "fine print", and the law turn-out to be.        "Puffery" in advertising is sometimes allowed and if the product is "suitable for intended use" it might be OK.   

But, I'm not THAT sympathetic if they bought more than one because they were satisfied with their 1st purchase.  I might let each customer return ONE album (or one full-order).   If it's up to me, you don't get to keep the album and collect a settlement.

Plus, I'm not sympathetic because although they MAY have been mislead, the digitization doesn't alter the sound and they were not harmed.

Re: Audiophile Strikes Back: MoFi Hit with Lawsuit Over Analog Vinyl Controversy

Reply #3
I don't have sympathy for the fools that bought the records but I don't necessary think MoFi will get away with it either without some kind of damage being done to them.

Reply #4
You pay a lot more at $mofi$ so people are pissed because they got suckered.
EZ CD Audio Converter

Reply #5
There are two elements to this, of course. One is the fidelity, another is the seller's promises, and the scarcity argument implies that the seller has promised something that would get a higher price tag.
If you market a wristwatch with "shows time more accurately than your eyes can perceive" and deliver a radio controlled watch - good. But if you marketed it as an old-fashioned mechanical timepiece? Fraud, even if you delivered something with superior accuracy.

(... all this from the ethics point of view, which may or may not be related to actual applicable law.)