Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tube Amp for your Raspberry Pi. (Read 1915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tube Amp for your Raspberry Pi.

Reply #1
seems neat.
To me it seems silly (and probably expensive) to use 1950's technology.

If you like the look of a tube, you could stick one in there and power-up it's heater without actually using it.  :D

If you're a guitar player and you like the way your Marshall amp distorts, I won't argue with that.  But for a high-fidelity amp, I'll stick with fidelity, which is cheaper and easier to get with solid state electronics, and more energy efficient too.

not sure how useful.
About as useful as any DAC/headphone amp. ;)

Tube Rolling – The 503HTA supports both 12AU7( ECC82) or 6922/6DJ8 (ECC88) type tubes. Individual Anode Bias Adjustments plus selectable Series/Parallel Heater Drive insure the perfect setup for virtually any tube!  See our friends at www.tubedepot.com for some alternate options!
IMO - That's indicative of a bad design.    A good design would remain consistent (consistently good) when tubes are swapped or when they age (as long as the tubes are withing spec).      

Reply #2
This is actually just a solid state DAC with a tube stuck in the middle, supposedly to make it sound "better". The output stage is still solid state, and there is no transformer, which is usually the source of the "tube sound".

Reply #3
Sounds like a marketing gimmick then

Reply #4
The real Tube Magic here are probably those user-selectable output resistors, but you could add those to any headphone amplifier for a couple of pennies and spare yourself the expense of a vacuum tube and it's 24V 5A power supply. Interesting use of LM317 voltage regulators as audio output devices.

Reply #5
It looks pretty. I think it's more about the novelty factor of having a tube in the circuit.
 I will always have a soft spot for valves, but this whole retro-valve thing is getting rather old now.

Does anyone still believe that just putting a 12AX7 triode in-line with your signal is enough to give the "valve" sound ?
( a lot of the "valve" sound comes from the Phase Inverter / output tubes / transformer / power supply sag / bias excursions etc ...  the preamp tubes are just a small part of it) 

Edit: I see that it's a 12AU7, not 12AX7 ...

Reply #6
The real Tube Magic here are probably those user-selectable output resistors, but you could add those to any headphone amplifier for a couple of pennies and spare yourself the expense of a vacuum tube and it's 24V 5A power supply. Interesting use of LM317 voltage regulators as audio output devices.
I never thought I'd see LM317A and "Class A output stage" in the same sentence. Ah well ... why not ! It is a cool idea. Probably quite linear ...